PDA

View Full Version : Investing for Retirement

russlars
11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Since most of us are already feeling beat up today after the election and it's too cold to go water skiing to get our mind off the pain (at least for those of us up north) I would like to hear what people are doing with their retirement dollars (if you have any to invest that is). Are you doing what Warren Buffet would do: "Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful"? Or are you sticking it under your mattress until the market stabilizes? Any good ideas for things to invest in right now other than beer, cigarettes and T.V. since those will be the most favorite pastimes of a lot of people that have either lost hope or are unemployed and or lazy and living off our tax dollars?:confused:

bbymgr
11-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Since most of us are already feeling beat up today after the election and it's too cold to go water skiing to get our mind off the pain (at least for those of us up north) I would like to hear what people are doing with their retirement dollars (if you have any to invest that is). Are you doing what Warren Buffet would do: "Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful"? Or are you sticking it under your mattress until the market stabilizes? Any good ideas for things to invest in right now other than beer, cigarettes and T.V. since those will be the most favorite pastimes of a lot of people that have either lost hope or are unemployed and or lazy and living off our tax dollars?:confused:

Don't invest in cigarettes. My Philip Morris shares have TANKED in the last month.:(:(:(

mlay
11-05-2008, 04:05 PM
lets pull the funds out, pool it all together and open a couple of Hooters....I'll even cook but lets do it somewhere warm.

Skipper
11-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Funny you should mention retirement. We just had a lesson on managing finances. The one thing I took away from the lesson was that I cannot afford to retire on my Army pension. I'll be working until I am dead. Since I am in the Army, that may be sooner than later...

My best option is to get totally out of debt first. Then the military has a thrift savings plan that could generate a little extra at retirement. Barring serious injury or death, I'll be in the Army at least 30 years, not 20 (like I had wished).

Fact is, I'll be in the military while Don is in diapers. And that, my friends, is how I will pay for my retirement, I just wont retire.

flipper
11-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm investing all my money in clark forklifts. Ump has the inside scoop on this

mlay
11-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Funny you should mention retirement. We just had a lesson on managing finances. The one thing I took away from the lesson was that I cannot afford to retire on my Army pension. I'll be working until I am dead. Since I am in the Army, that may be sooner than later...

My best option is to get totally out of debt first. Then the military has a thrift savings plan that could generate a little extra at retirement. Barring serious injury or death, I'll be in the Army at least 30 years, not 20 (like I had wished).

Fact is, I'll be in the military while Don is in diapers. And that, my friends, is how I will pay for my retirement, I just wont retire.

If I have said it once I have said it thousands of times. The gov spends so much on useless projects while our military and teachers go under paid for the service they perform. Ask me how I would spend my taxes given the choice and our Military would be very well taken care of. Spend one year in congress sending our troops out and your set for life, putting yourself on the front line should trump that but for some reason it doesn't. Anyone that gives that much of their time defending our Nation should retire comfortably on a peacefull lake somewhere hitting the glass with every chance they get.
My two cents anyway but my gratitude goes out to you and the rest of our armed forces.

Ski-me
11-05-2008, 04:20 PM

Sounds like a Dave Ramsey theory......

We have some invested (where we've lost about 1/3 of the principal) and the rest is actually in our MM account. We are still leary on investing into stocks at this point. We are mainly looking towards real estate. It's still kind of a buy and hold right now but we do think the home values will start to stabilize.

We are still contributing to our Roth 401k at this point. It actually is "on sale" but still hard to swallow some times.....

coz
11-05-2008, 04:20 PM
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x222/goodthingfromtheking/FlyingMusicalNotes.gif
The answer is blowing in the wind

flipper
11-05-2008, 04:21 PM
what do music notes have to do with anything blowing in the wind? Better yet, what do they have to do with forklifts?

bbymgr
11-05-2008, 04:22 PM

What are you Skipper? E-6......maybe E-7? If you have an "E" in your rank, it's next to impossible to get ahead and have a family at the same time. If you have any SF training, and I think you do, you could always do contract work. I know it seems like a cop out, but Blackwater pays more in 6 months than you make in a year. Just sayin.:):)

Sodar
11-05-2008, 04:25 PM
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x222/goodthingfromtheking/FlyingMusicalNotes.gif
The answer is blowing in the wind

You and Atlfootr would make great buddies.

W T F!

Skipper
11-05-2008, 04:34 PM
What are you Skipper? E-6......maybe E-7? If you have an "E" in your rank, it's next to impossible to get ahead and have a family at the same time. If you have any SF training, and I think you do, you could always do contract work. I know it seems like a cop out, but Blackwater pays more in 6 months than you make in a year. Just sayin.:):)

Master Sergeant (E8) and I hope to retire as a Command Sergeant Major (E9) in six years. That is a decent retirement provided the house is paid off and there are no other debts.

Your idea, depending on the world situation six years from now, is feasable. I know several ex-military folks who are making more in six months than I make in two years. Many of them are not gun fighters...my neighbor was in supply! Go figure.

russlars
11-05-2008, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Skipper]
My best option is to get totally out of debt first.

You are definitely on the right track with that thought and I would say that should be a very high priority, however, if you put all of your money into debt reduction and spend most of your working years paying off your house, etc., you have then lost your potential for growth through compounding interest on your investments. Ending up with a roof over your head and a boat in the garage and no debt is not such a bad thing, but you still need to put gas in the boat and food on the table. So a portion of your earnings should still be going into long term savings for retirement.:twocents:
And THAT is what prompted my post. Where is the best place to put those dollars???

coz
11-05-2008, 05:02 PM
You and Atlfootr would make great buddies.

W T F!

It's spelled windmill not W T F :mad:

http://www.broadgatebusinessfinancial.com/images/wind%20mill.jpg
One of my W T F's :D

pram
11-05-2008, 05:11 PM
It's spelled windmill not W T F :mad:

Your a little bit of a strange duck aintcha boy :confused:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Freddy & Dave Ramsey handle all my retirement planning.

Its mainly diversified amoung forklift manufacturers.

Doug G
11-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Coz, can you reply to anything without a friggin pic? We're gonna have to put you on a quota soon son!

I diversified into marine lifts, figure the wealthy republicans will always need to get there botes in and out. I am going to let my house go into bailout and just live on my boat. I might have to give up the 2nd boat MC cuz it's a bit big for use as a dinghy :rolleyes:

Here's a pic for Coz:

coz
11-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Coz, can you reply to anything without a friggin pic?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/98592171_ada53479ca_b.jpg

8p:wavey:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
If your gonna go for the long haul, get into forklifts.

TX.X-30 fan
11-05-2008, 08:00 PM
If your gonna go for the long haul, get into forklifts.

Ban coz and UMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wakolman
11-05-2008, 08:37 PM
I am looking at apartment buildings. Renters will be plentiful. Home buyers will need 20% down like it was in the good old days. The people who can never seem to save money will always rent. Screening the applicants is where you make your money.

I have about 50% in MM, and the other in 50% in stocks. All retirement money is in stock funds.
I like Vanguard for mutual funds and MM. No load, low expenses. I use Ameritrade for stocks.

Sodar
11-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Your a little bit of a strange duck aintcha boy :confused:

That would be an understatement. I think coz is Atlfootr brother from another mother...

coz
11-05-2008, 09:19 PM
That would be an understatement. I think coz is Atlfootr brother from another mother...

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/faces/faces_56.gif

Freddy
11-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Freddy & Dave Ramsey handle all my retirement planning.

Its mainly diversified amoung forklift manufacturers.

We tried to talk him out of that one but when there is such little capital to work with and he is so cheap it just kind of fell into place. It is actually a very recession proof industry with good PE that should do well over the next few years, except in California (everything is backwards there)

flipper
11-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I think coz needs something to do besides google pics. Maybe freddy has an idea

Jorski
11-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Take a look at high yield bond funds. Junk bonds are trading at 16oo basis points back of treasuries.

You can withstand three consecutive years of the highest default rates in history and still make a positive return in the asset class given current pricing.

20% yields while you wait, huge protection against default given bond prices around $70 per $100 of face value. Large capital gain opportunity in a few years when spreads return to more normal levels.

Here is a link to a great piece on high yield debt and the current market.

http://www.arrowhedgeemails.com/downloads/jg/MISC/HYJG.pdf