PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Steering New X30

mcdriver
05-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Just purchased new X30
Steering seems to be binding when turning to left at slower speeds, ie; not planed out.

Feels smooth at idle speed and at high speeds.

Dealer says this is normal, do all the 230 and X30 boats do this?

Thanks for help or suggestions

east tx skier
05-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the board. My father-in-law's 98 205 did this last year in left turns at idle. We greased up the steering over the winter and the steering at all speeds has greatly improved. With a new boat, I wouldn't think this would be an issue yet, but you might give it a look.

MYMC
05-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Have the dealer remove the rudder and look at the composite bushing and the composite spacer/washer. While it is out have them check the wear pattern on the shaft and bushing...if all is okay grease the shaft and re-assemble. No this is not "normal" for any of our boats; however, you might guess from my response this isn't the first one I have seen/heard about.

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 03:26 PM
As long as its under warranty, it couldn't hurt to make an appointment at the dealership and take it in on a rainy day :)

mcdriver
05-08-2005, 07:17 AM
It is so very under warranty, have not picked it up from dealer, waiting for them to resolve the steering. Noticed it when demo'ing.
Dealer says seering to left is difficult on all mastercrafts.
Have owned several boats but this is our first mastercraft.

erkoehler
05-08-2005, 07:21 AM
It is so very under warranty, have not picked it up from dealer, waiting for them to resolve the steering. Noticed it when demo'ing.

Tell him you want to demo the EXACT same model, different boat. That should answer your question as to whether or not all the boats do it.

lakes Rick
05-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Gosh darn must be an " improvement" on the later models, as my old 94 steers fine both ways..... Where do people think up these lies...

rem_pss308
05-09-2005, 12:00 PM
I keep mine greased also, and it does not bind at all, at any speed.

6ballsisall
05-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Gosh darn must be an " improvement" on the later models, as my old 94 steers fine both ways..... Where do people think up these lies...

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Thats the new feature that is only available on the 60,000+ boats. It is supposed to aide in docking. No, NO really that is how it is suppoed to work..... :noface:

MYMC
05-09-2005, 01:01 PM
There is no grease fitting on the rudder port.