PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing an Salt Water Series engine

MC X-15
11-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I have an 08 X-15 SS and was thinking that because i have closed cooling system that winderization might be just draining the heater core and winterizing the ballasts. There is no water per say in the engine becasue it is closed cooling so really nothing to freeze. Is this true???

rgardjr1
11-04-2008, 06:30 PM
You have to drain the raw water side. The motor still sucks in water and uses it to cool the motor through the heat exchanger. So you still have some things to drain.

Jerseydave
11-04-2008, 06:42 PM
You have to get all the water out of the heat exchanger, hoses and pump. Since your boat is a 2008 you may want to let the dealer do it. Don't forget about changing the oil and filter, trans fluid change, impeller (depending on hours used), remove batteries, fog engine (thru spark plug holes), add STABIL to fuel, etc.

Some dealers even recommend changing spark plugs and fuel filter for the first winterize.
If you keep up with the maintenance, you'll have very few problems if any.

Prostar19
11-05-2008, 05:58 PM
You will not need to drain the heater as it uses the antifreeze that goes thru the engine. You really only need to drain the heat exchanger and hoses going to and from the raw water pick up. Also check with your dealer. I have heard you should not use Stabil in the MC's with in tank pumps as it clogs the filters. I have also heard not to fog the engine if it has cat's> i think it is due to the oxygen sensors. I would take it to the dealer the first time and then see what they do to it.