PDA

View Full Version : '89 PS Rudder Port

tph
11-04-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm having a difficult time finding an original rudder port for my '89 ProStar. I've tried my local MC dealer as well as Rambo, MC of Charlotte, Bennetts, Glenwood, Marine Hardware, Marine Associates, and Algonquin. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

JLeuck64
11-04-2008, 04:30 PM
check out what I had to do when replacing the rudder port on my 98...

http://www.mastercraft.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4842

As time marches on sometimes these parts get updated so we have to do what's necessary to make the new fit the old...

tph
11-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm trying to avoid that...but it may be inevitable. How did you "upsize" the hole?

Nice Anniversary boat!

JLeuck64
11-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks, Itís been a great all around boat for me.

I found a hole saw that was just a little bit bigger in diameter than the new rudder port.

The hardest thing about increasing the diameter of a precut hole, using a hole saw, is the fact that you canít use the pilot bitÖ

After talking it over with some folks I came up with the idea of temporarily installing the new rudder port upside down. I used the mounting plate as a guide to help start the hole saw. When first starting to drill I cut in reverse direction just to get through the gel coat. After that I used the forward direction to continue cutting until I got about halfway through the hull. Then I removed the rudder port and continued to cut through the hull. It worked well for me and the only complaint I had was from the small amount of fiberglass dust. That stuff gets everywhere and really makes me itch!

Bruce Carr
11-05-2008, 05:16 PM
TPH, What is wrong with your original rudder port? Is it worn out on the inside diameter?

Bruce

dog paw
11-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I ran into the same problem on my 84 a few years back. Talked myself into a its not "that" loose state of mind. Put in a new seal and strut bushings while the rudder was out and called it a day. Its still holding up OK ;)

TMCNo1
11-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I bet you can get a rudder port from these guys, http://www.elberts.com/underwatergear.htm

ProStar Slalom
11-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Our '84 has a lot of slop in the rudder. I was planning on this being one of my winter projects. Can't I just replace some bushings/seals to fix the problem, or is this a major project? Thanks....

TMCNo1
11-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Our '84 has a lot of slop in the rudder. I was planning on this being one of my winter projects. Can't I just replace some bushings/seals to fix the problem, or is this a major project? Thanks....

No bushings inside, just 2 rings that can be replaced that are on the top and bottom, with the zerk fitting inbetween.

ProStar Slalom
11-06-2008, 07:47 PM
#1,

Do those rings wear over time...are they the cause of play in the rudder? Thanks.

Andyg
11-06-2008, 08:10 PM
When I replaced the rudder on my 2003 197 with the new 2006 rudder I had to install the new rudder housing also. The trick I found to enlargind the hole for the rudder housing was to bolt a piece of wood to the inside of the hull, using the existing mounting holes. Then you can use the wood to drill with the pilot drill on your hole saw. Much easier than trying to control a hole saw without a pilot drill.

If you can't find a replacement part it really isn't that hard to install a new housing. As long as you can work a drill and a couple of wrenches. Just remember to put lots of silicone between the hull, the new housing and the bolts.

TMCNo1
11-06-2008, 08:13 PM
#1,

Do those rings wear over time...are they the cause of play in the rudder? Thanks.

Yes they will wear and compress over time. They can be matched up with replacements at most any hardware plumbing section and even auto parts stores. I'm not positive, but http://www.skidim.com/ or a MC dealer somewhere may have them or can get them from MC.

ProStar Slalom
11-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Yes they will wear and compress over time. They can be matched up with replacements at most any hardware plumbing section and even auto parts stores. I'm not positive, but http://www.skidim.com/ or a MC dealer somewhere may have them or can get them from MC.

Thanks! Sounds like something I can handle this winter.

Sodar
11-06-2008, 09:48 PM
When I replaced the rudder on my 2003 197 with the new 2006 rudder I had to install the new rudder housing also. The trick I found to enlargind the hole for the rudder housing was to bolt a piece of wood to the inside of the hull, using the existing mounting holes. Then you can use the wood to drill with the pilot drill on your hole saw. Much easier than trying to control a hole saw without a pilot drill.

If you can't find a replacement part it really isn't that hard to install a new housing. As long as you can work a drill and a couple of wrenches. Just remember to put lots of silicone between the hull, the new housing and the bolts.

Exactly! Nice work as always, Andy!