PDA

View Full Version : Great Lake Powell pictures...

PKLOMP
11-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Here are a few photos from Lake Powell. Taken in Aug. 2008.

Skipper
11-03-2008, 12:40 PM

This was where we set up the slalom couse in the back of Last Chance Bay.

coz
11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/2966106534_83e3f7c975_o.gif

Sodar
11-03-2008, 12:44 PM
What marina do you guys go out of? Are there some that are better than others? I am thinking since I am coming from SoCal, the best place is Wahweap.

Skipper
11-03-2008, 12:57 PM
From SoCal Wahweap is your best option. Bullfrog and Height marinas are in the middle of nowhere in Utah.

Provided that there is enough water in the lake to fill the gap between Castle Rock and Antelope Island, it is best to go from Wahweap. You can choose between the main launch ramp at the lodge or the state line ramp.

If Antelope Island is landlocked, you may want to start at Antelope Point Marina. It cuts off a few miles of travel and you have to pass by it if you are coming from Wahweap.

I don't care much for Antelope Point Marina, nothing there but the marina. Does have fuel and a store.

PKLOMP's photos are from Dangling Rope Marina. That can only be reached by boat or plane. It is a resupply point for many launching at Wahweap.

I spent the first 27 years of my life at Lake Powell, most of it on the water. PM if you have specific questions.

Sodar
11-03-2008, 01:00 PM
From SoCal Wahweap is your best option. Bullfrog and Height marinas are in the middle of nowhere in Utah.

Provided that there is enough water in the lake to fill the gap between Castle Rock and Antelope Island, it is best to go from Wahweap. You can choose between the main launch ramp at the lodge or the state line ramp.

If Antelope Island is landlocked, you may want to start at Antelope Point Marina. It cuts off a few miles of travel and you have to pass by it if you are coming from Wahweap.

I don't care much for Antelope Point Marina, nothing there but the marina. Does have fuel and a store.

PKLOMP's photos are from Dangling Rope Marina. That can only be reached by boat or plane. It is a resupply point for many launching at Wahweap.

I spent the first 27 years of my life at Lake Powell, most of it on the water. PM if you have specific questions.

Where is that slalom course? ;)

I will PM you, later. We are in middle of rallying up a group for a trip in June.

Skipper
11-03-2008, 01:24 PM
It was in the farthest north cove in Last Chance Bay last summer.

From Wahweap there are several bays. Wahweap Bay holds the Wahweap Marina and a massive bouy field of houseboats. It is usually pretty busy with traffic moving uplake and back. (in Sept in the late afternoon it is some of the greatest free skiing on solid glass). To the north is Lone Rock. There is a large beach with road access. It is usually a zoo. Far north in that bay is the best option in that area, if the tubers, wallies, and lost rentals are not there.

The next bay is Warm Creek. At the far northern end is the actual creek. It can be one of your best choices in Warm Creek. Also, directly behind Castle Rock (when the crossing is landlocked) is a great place to ski. It is out of the way but a wally magnet.

Farther up the channel is Padre Bay. The main channel is a mess. To the north are three large canyons that can be spectacular, Gunsight, Cookie Jar, and I forgot the third. When the water is low, there is a barrier between the main channel and these three canyons. What most people dont realize, is that just on the north side of that island is primo water ski country.

For this distance, most head back to Wahweap for resupply. From this point forward, most go to Dangling Rope for resupply.

As you continue up lake you come to the mouth of Last Chance Bay. The southern end of the bay is no good. But it is like eight miles long. Half way down are two canyons, one east one west. The one on the west leads to a dry creek. Great skiing. Another quarter of the way down is a very long canyon leading to a dry creek. Excellent skiing. And all the way to the north end is where my pic was taken.

Another option at this point in the channel is Rock Creek Bay. Many people flock to this bay because it is closer to Dangling Rope. It is almost ten miles long and has many good skiing coves. But, because of its ease of access, it is busier than Last Chance.

When you round the bend the lake narrows. There are really no good places to ski from this point on. There is one good cove just east of Dangling Rope Marina, but it is usually busy. After Dangling Rope the lake is bound by rock cliffs.

Many like to run up to Rainbow Bridge just to check it out. With your open bow 197, slow down and keep the bow out of the water in Cathedral Canyon because it resembles the high seas with moderate boat traffic.

For the die hard with their own resupply (houseboat, pontoon boat) if you continue up lake you come to Oak Creek. In Sept is is awesome. During the summer not so much. But it leads to the mouth of the San Juan River. Truly some of the very best of Lake Powell. But two things, one is low water, the other is that many come from Bullfrog into the San Juan, can ruin a pristine slalom paradise.

FrankSchwab
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
We camped a few miles up the San Juan the week before Labor day this year. We counted one day, and there were 7 boats that went past, total, for the day. The canyon is so deep there, that we were skiing frosted glass all day long (well, except the evenings when the wind was blowing like snot).

Of course, it was a really unique trip. It's about 40 (IIRC) miles from Wahweap to the San Juan. Going up river on Saturday a week before labor day, there were so few boats that I'd guess 80% of the route was skiiable. Of course, coming home the next Saturday, approximately 0% of it was skiiable; it looked like the entire state of California had rented houseboats and were coming upriver as we were going down. Wished I was in an ocean-going vessel at that point.

/frank.

PKLOMP
11-03-2008, 02:11 PM
We go to Lake Powell every summer. My kids think it is the greatest place for vacation (they easily turn down soCal, Florida, even Hawaii to go to Lake Powell.

This year we went out of Antelope Point. It was OK. Not much beside the marina. I had my laptop & I-Pod stolen from the Houseboat. We generally go out of BullFrog. We'll go about 1/2 way down the lake and camp in one of the canyons. We stayed at the head of West canyon. Great site! Every evening we could see wild horse. It was great skiiing in the morning and evening.

We get a houseboat, 2 ski boats and a few jet skis and then see how much gas we can consume which it easy to do...

WakePowell
11-03-2008, 02:52 PM
PKLOMP -

Wow, you had your laptop and i-Pod stolen from the houseboat! Did that happen at the marina or while you were anchored out on the lake? We've always enjoyed Lake Powell unfortunately its too long of a haul for us now. We may go again next fall though.

PKLOMP
11-03-2008, 03:28 PM
It happened at the Marina. Good luck on going next fall! It's a great place. Been there the past (let me count) 22 years.

Skipper
11-04-2008, 07:13 AM

This is a shot of Wahweap Bay. In this pic, the water is very low. You can just make out the marina's and bouy field. The passage I marked was open last summer. It may be open in June. If open, it cuts out a lot of travel time, especially in a houseboat.

At the extreme north end of the bay, beyond Lone Rock, is a site I have set up the slalom course in the past. It is only good in the off-season and a favorite of locals. Also can be a favorite of lost rentals and hugified wakeboats.

Skipper
11-04-2008, 07:26 AM

This is Warm Creek Bay. Again, the water is extremely low in this photo.

If the water is too low for the passage to be open, one of the best locations for a slalom course and camp site is the south side of Castle Rock in Warm Creek Bay. The water is usually a bit higher, and a small island forms an excellent barrier to the bay. Castle Rock blocks all of the high winds so your camp site is never an issue. The geographic location is out of the way of normal travel.

It can be a PWC and boarder magnet. The PWC's are exploring. The boarders, well, they are boarders.

The other two places I marked for slalom courses can be good, but are usually more populated. Especially the one on the east side of the bay. The one at the far noth, based on water level, can be excellent.

Skipper
11-04-2008, 09:03 AM

Padre Bay is a great location for skiing. It is a day trip, geographically. This means people are close enough to Wahweap to show up, pull a tube in circles, and head back before dinner.

At the end of each of those canyons are great beaches and dry creeks. These can offer great slalom course locations. Again, the PWC's are curious. The surrounding cliffs range from 300 to 600 feet off the water.

You can also see the mouth of Last Chance Bay. Not much for skiing there except in Sept just before dark. It is part of the main channel with heavy boat traffic. I have been in wind swept waves more than eight feet tall because it is wide open.

Skipper
11-04-2008, 09:13 AM

I cropped the photo mostly on the north side, farthest from the channel. I highlighted the three best locations for a slalom course. I have set up, or skied on one at each of those locations. In this graphic the coves look the same, but beware that many of them have very steep cliffs that extend to the waters edge. The waves just reverb all day long.

If you look closely at the places I highlighted, you can see the dry creeks. In high water, these are the place to put your course.

Remember, fewer people go here instead of Rock Creek because it is farther from Dangling Rope. A plus in my book.

Skipper
11-04-2008, 10:52 AM

Okay, last one I'll put up. You can see Last Chance Bay from here. There are great places to ski up in Rock Creek, especially at the extreme ends in the dry creeks. I marked the position of Dangling Rope Marina. That is what makes Rock Creek so attractive to many folks. It is easier to resupply than Last Chance.

Most of the coves in Rock Creek have lots of sandy beaches and are deep enough for a slalom course.

The best thing is to travel in a group! The lake is pretty much first come, first served. Just because you find the ideal cove with a great beach and you set up your slalom course, doesn't mean some dude with a houseboat, wake barge, and five PWC's wont camp 100 meters from your location.

On the houseboat I carry 100 gallons of fuel and depart with full tanks in the other craft. That is enough to support 6 skiers, 3 - 4 sets a day, for seven days, some...yeah PWC's.
Your houseboat will go 6 to 10 mph, depending on how much money you plan to spend at $5 plus a gallon upon return. Usually kick out a quartering party with two boats to find THE place.