PDA

View Full Version : X9 Handling: 2001 vs. 2003

jberylec
11-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Before buying my 2001, I test drove a few. The 2003 and 2004 both handled differently. To be more specific, they turned on a dime while staying nice and flat at 30+ MPH.

My 2001 doesn't corner as hard, and on top of that it leans in the turns like body roll for a car.

To my knowledge, the only major difference in these years was the "hook". But that just keeps the front end from bobbing up and down at certain speeds correct?

They all had the 310hp motor, so power isn't the issue I don't think. This didn't hold me back from buying it, simply because you really don't spend much time with the wheel cranked at high speeds! lol

But it would be nice to have the ear to ear grins sometimes, so anyhow, I'd like to get the same cornering characteristics as the newer models I drove. Any thoughts on what else could be a factor here? Maybe there's a difference in the rudder's pivot angle? Whatever the difference is, I hope I can just buy the newer stuff and put it on :)

Thanks in advance everyone!

jberylec
01-18-2009, 12:23 AM
No thoughts??

corey
01-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Two areas of thought, the first is that the hook helps to raise the stern and push the bow down into the water creating better tracking and a slightly smaller wake, so in part the hook does change the handling of the boat.

Secondly it is possible that the other boats had a larger rudder. I know a couple people that upgraded to the 2006 rudder style on their boats.

TMCNo1
01-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Before buying my 2001, I test drove a few. The 2003 and 2004 both handled differently. To be more specific, they turned on a dime while staying nice and flat at 30+ mpg.

My 2001 doesn't corner as hard, and on top of that it leans in the turns like body roll for a car.

To my knowledge, the only major difference in these years was the "hook". But that just keeps the front end from bobbing up and down at certain speeds correct?

They all had the 310hp motor, so power isn't the issue I don't think. This didn't hold me back from buying it, simply because you really don't spend much time with the wheel cranked at high speeds! lol

But it would be nice to have the ear to ear grins sometimes, so anyhow, I'd like to get the same cornering characteristics as the newer models I drove. Any thoughts on what else could be a factor here? Maybe there's a difference in the rudder's pivot angle? Whatever the difference is, I hope I can just buy the newer stuff and put it on :)

Thanks in advance everyone!

I hope you meant, 30 MPH!

JohnE
01-19-2009, 04:11 PM
No thoughts??

I misses this thread first time around. I'd say the other 2 had the '06 rudder, as Corey said.

peason
01-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Okay, what does the 2006 rudder do for a pre-2006 209? turn better? track better?

sand2snow22
01-20-2009, 01:49 AM
Okay, what does the 2006 rudder do for a pre-2006 209? turn better? track better?

Usually the answer is yes and yes. The pre-2006 rudder has this shape:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=400735&postcount=357

The post 2006 rudder looks more like this (although this boat is older):

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=561498&postcount=403

jberylec
01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
I hope you meant, 30 MPH!

haha, good catch! Fixed! :-)

jberylec
01-27-2009, 10:15 PM
I misses this thread first time around. I'd say the other 2 had the '06 rudder, as Corey said.

Really? What are the chances that two of these boats in my small area had this upgrade done? Is this really common?

Anyone know if this is a do it yourself job or dealer? I've never pulled a rudder before :confused:

east tx skier
01-27-2009, 10:38 PM
If it's not the rudder, you can always have the hook added by a competent glass guy.

jberylec
01-27-2009, 10:44 PM
If it's not the rudder, you can always have the hook added by a competent glass guy.

Yeah I've been reading a lot about that. Do you think MasterCraft can supply schematics / blueprints of the exact sizing and positioning? I'd like it to end up perfect...

east tx skier
01-27-2009, 10:49 PM
I doubt it you'll get anything in writing, but you can ask your dealer or one of the dealers on this board. You might go look at some boats with a tape measure though. I think rough measurements (at least for the 197) are probably on here. Not sure about the 209 though. Best bet is to find out who does the glass work for your local dealer and give him a call. It's a bit of trial and error. until you're satisfied from those with whom I've spoken who've had it done.