PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Fade

TCrate
11-02-2008, 09:07 PM
I see there is at least one other 92 prostar owner online. I have a 92 that is red and white. The back of the boat in the red area above the platform fades very quickly now. I cover it in the summer so it gets very little sun. I just used color restorer, then 3M finisher and then 3M ultra performance wax. Then 3 weeks later it is showing fade again.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thom

88 PS190
11-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Red seems to do this more than other colors becoming kind of pink.

Do you keep the boat on a lift? Does it have a Canopy? Otherwise maybe try a different wax and try for less sun exposure.

TCrate
11-02-2008, 09:17 PM
It is on a lift with a cover but the late afternoon sun does get to the boat but I have a cover draping down over the platform that covers it. I wondered if the Meguiars color restorer has damaged the fiberglass somehow. Maybe different wax is worth a try.

FrankSchwab
11-02-2008, 11:09 PM
I've heard of this problem from many boat owners over the years - once the gelcoat gets badly oxidized and looks "faded", you can do a lot of work compounding, polishing, and waxing the surface, but forever on it will oxidize again quickly.

I didn't have that issue on mine. I had a lot of oxidation on the transom of mine, the dark green was kind of a pastel green. I spent quite a bit of time last winter with some Meguiar's #49 and #44, some Finesse-it II and some Meguiar's Premium Marine wax. Going into this winter, it's covered with water spots (I don't wipe down the boat at the end of the day), but there's no visible oxidation. I figure a bit of #44 or Finesse-it II and some wax this winter, and it'll be in good shape. Hope you find a good solution to your issues.

/frank

bigmac
11-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Sounds like oxidation to me. I suspect a Milwaukee buffer and some polishing stuff will make it look like new. Look up "restoration" here on TT, wade through the numerous posts and you'll find some excellent information.

JohnE
11-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Check out a great thread by Shepherd for some tips: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12550

85S&S_Keuka
11-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Check out a great thread by Shepherd for some tips: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12550

I can't remember if Shep used the kit from Proper Boat Care, but I used it and it seems to have slowed down the fading over just polishing/waxing. The last step is a Micro Polish and Gel Coat Sealer. Some of the sales BS says "Cleaning the pores in the gel coat greatly retards internal gel oxidation and will add years to the life of the gel coat." and "modern polymers seal the finish with an extremely tough, water and UV resistant barrier".

Anyway, I've used this the last two years and been happy.

BrianM
11-05-2008, 03:42 PM
3m Super Duty Compound (applied with a high quality wool pad and circular buffer.
3m Perfect-It-II
High Quality Carnuba Wax

The Meguires color restore is ok for doing just that but does not really remove the oxidation. Cut down to some good gel and then protect it well and you should be good for a long time.