PDA

View Full Version : X-Star Tower

finbar
05-05-2005, 08:22 PM
How easy/difficult is it to collapse the X-Star tower ?

peason
05-05-2005, 09:30 PM
I have an '03 flex tower on a 209 and it is very simple to collapse - I am not sure about the new x-stars - but I bet they are pretty easy.

WakePowell
05-05-2005, 10:14 PM
The 2005 X-Star tower is very easy to take down. If you have four tower speakers it is easier with two people because of the weight but it can be done solo.

finbar
05-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Ok thanks, the dealer guy was making out it was a pain in the a** but sounds like should not be a prob as there will be 2 of us, though the tower does have 4 speakers.

bcampbe7
05-05-2005, 10:48 PM
I think MYMC has a video of one guy folding the tower on an '05. Looked pretty simple. It did not appear to have speakers though, but I still can't imagine it would be much trouble for 1 or 2 people.

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 12:45 AM
I know the tower on the X9 was fairly simple to collapse and could be done alone. Didn't have speakers, did have two lights though.

MYMC
05-06-2005, 09:42 AM
The PITA come from installing and removing the hand screws...stainless steel screws into aluminum threads. I have been waving the red flag at this for years to no avail...

prostar205
05-06-2005, 01:26 PM
I have a 2002 X30 with the new 2005 tower. I find it a PITA to take down with one person especially when the cover is on the boat. My tower does have 4 speakers on it but no lights.

Questions:
1) How do others take their 2005 towers down with the cover on the boat?

2) What do people rest the rear section of the tower on (if anything) to prevent the tower bar from making an indent in the motor cover?

I agree, the tower is ever easy to take down if you are in the boat. However, if you take the tower down while in the boat, you can't put the cover on her. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

MYMC
05-06-2005, 01:30 PM
We just received a bulletin not to rest the rear section of the tower on the sunpad without some type of padding. Good point about folding with cover in place.

prostar205
05-06-2005, 01:54 PM
MYMC -

I use two (2) flat fenders (36"x12"x3") - one on each side of the ski pylon, to rest the top bar of the tower on so it does not create indentations in the motor cover. I works pretty well.

Does anyone else have any other methods? I was thinking about building a bar that attaches to the trailer guide posts and would be supporting by the ski pylon in the middle so the rear section of the tower could rest on it and not have to even touch the motor cover.

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 02:57 PM
I have seen a stand that holds the tower, but I think it is only where is folds forward. Haven't seen anything that is for the rear section.

X2M
05-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Questions:
1) How do others take their 2005 towers down with the cover on the boat?

2) What do people rest the rear section of the tower on (if anything) to prevent the tower bar from making an indent in the motor cover?

I agree, the tower is ever easy to take down if you are in the boat. However, if you take the tower down while in the boat, you can't put the cover on her. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

We have an 2005 x2 and we have taken the tower down with the cover both off and on. With the cover on we have done it two ways. Stand on the fenders of the trailer (it takes 2 people) and fold it down. And we have also stood in the boat with the cover over the front, taken down the tower, then slid the cover under the tower. As for what to put under the tower so it doesn't leave a mark on the engine cover, we roll up a couple of beach towels and place them between the tower and the sundeck. Probably not as effective as your method, but we have only 1/2 inch clearance between the tower (when folded) and the top of the garage door frame.

H2OGirl
05-07-2005, 02:13 AM
We have an '05 X-10 with 4 speakers and 2 lights on the tower and my husband folds it down by himself, just have to remember to unconnect the wiring harness. We put socks on the front legs to keep them from resting on the gel coat and scratching and in the rear we put different things under the tower to keep it from resting on the sunpad, haven't found the perfect thing yet. We have never tried to fold the tower down with the cover on, we store it in a garage and we don't cover it in the garage. The whole folding down only takes my husband like a minute. It's simple, but yes it is a PITA, wish our garage ceilings were taller.

X2M
05-07-2005, 02:20 AM
We put socks on the front legs to keep them from resting on the gel coat

H20Girl - The socks are a great idea. We are going to have to try that. Glad to hear you got your boat back and all is now well. :)

erkoehler
05-07-2005, 02:20 AM
The next house you buy, remember you are shopping for a garage not a home!

P.S. I stole that line from someone on here. Sorry don't remember who :confused:

MYMC
05-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Remember to lube the threads on the hand screws and on 2005 models apply a little lube to the o-ring to keep it from tearing.

finbar
05-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Failed miserably to get the tower down last night after first trip out. Two of the black handscrews on the back end of the tower when unscrewed came off but left the threaded bolt itself still screwed into the tower. Was the two furthest back ones on either side. Anyone else experienced this problem and have any tips on how to resolve this problem ? As a result I could not get the boat into my storage unit last night, dealer is closed today and my subdivision gestapo will be all over me very soon to get the boat moved (strict rules about parking stuff on the street).

Help !

MYMC
05-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Finbar, I received your PM and read the post...not sure why you were removing the back two hand screws as that is the place where an X-Star tower would pivot. The back section rotates on that hand screw. Best solution I can give you is to apply JB Quick (that is the brand name) to the threads exposed, then screw the handscrew back into position...tight. Wait a couple of hours and try again. Make sure this stuff doesn't get where it is not intended as it is a 2 part epoxy that once hard is there forever.

To fold your X-Star tower remove the forward handscrew (and loosen the rear), next remove the top handscrews on the main hoop. Pull up on the release pin a lower the back section down, as I said before it needs to pivot on the back screws.

Let me know if I can be of further assitance.

SteveO
05-09-2005, 02:06 PM
To accomplish a one person fold on my 209, I went to Home Depot and bought a 4 ft piece of 2x2 and put a garage/ storage screw U-hook on one end. After loosening the screws, I just place the u-hook on the cross bar and walk the tower forward. My tower has speakers, so it is a little heavy, but certainly something one person can do.

X2M
05-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Remember to lube the threads on the hand screws and on 2005 models apply a little lube to the o-ring to keep it from tearing.

Where is the o-ring that you are talking about? Is it where the tower mounts to the boat? I guess I should break out the owners manual eh? :)

finbar
05-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks MYMC, guess what I should have asked for was an idiots guide to taking down the tower ! :confused: It was late, dark, I was tired etc etc and had just taken delivery of the boat with no time to work such things out.

Coincidentally, the storage place called about an hour ago to say a 12ft high unit (what I had originally requested) was now available so the problem appears to be solved in more way than one. Will still try what you suggested for the hand screws though as obviously they should not come off the way they did.

MYMC
05-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Where is the o-ring that you are talking about? Is it where the tower mounts to the boat? I guess I should break out the owners manual eh?

These handscrews are located above your head and are the one you remove to seperate the rear section from the front. IF YOUR'S DOES NOT HAVE THE O-RINGS HAVE THEM REPLACED ASAP.

MYMC
05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Fin, no problem...glad to hear it worked out, and you are correct it should not have happened! I dont know why they depend on red Locktite in these situations when a set screw would last forever.

P-Rod
05-09-2005, 04:47 PM
MYMC

I agree with you that the s.s. screws vs. the aluminum tower structure are a problem. I found this out this spring when I dewinterized our boat. When I tried to remount the tower structure, the stainless steel screws did not want to go back into the tower and started to strip the holes. I then had to re-tap every hole and re-thread the stainless steel screws in order to get the tower back together.

MYMC
05-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Go and buy a Heli-coil kit and follow the directions, when you are done you'll have nice new stainless threads and no more issues! You cannot believe how many times we have had to do this.
Good luck. :)

bsimpson
05-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Go and buy a Heli-coil kit and follow the directions, when you are done you'll have nice new stainless threads and no more issues! You cannot believe how many times we have had to do this.
Good luck. :)

I have to fold the tower on my '05 X-Star every time I leave it for the valet at my storage facility. I have gotten the whole process down to under two minutes including removing the bimini top so I disagree that this is a PITA. It is actually quite easy and the engineering was very good.

How long is it typical before the threads will strip out? I realized very early on that I better grease the threads and not overtighten the knob connecting the front and back portions of the tower.

Do I need any special tools to install the Heli-coil kit or should I have the dealer do it? Will the stainless threads last the life of the boat? You mentioned "how many times we have had to do this"... I am hoping on several different boats and not the same one.

chfrogman
05-09-2005, 11:27 PM
I have found that if I place a folded towel under the bar on the sun platform it works real well, but have to take it out when putting the boat in and taking it out of the garage due to the limited (1/2-1") clearance with the top of the tower and the garage door opening.

MYMC
05-10-2005, 08:56 AM
How long is it typical before the threads will strip out?

Depends on how often they are taken out and removed...or in your case how often you use the boat. I don't know a "true duty cycle" as I have had this happen on brand new units.

Do I need any special tools to install the Heli-coil kit or should I have the dealer do it?

They all come in the kit except a drill and drill bits.

Will the stainless threads last the life of the boat? You mentioned "how many times we have had to do this"... I am hoping on several different boats and not the same one.

Yes, they should. And I was referring to doing this on many different boats not the same one many times...I hate doing things twice.

bsimpson
05-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Thank you MYMC. You have been a tremendous help. I'll probably install the Heli-coil kit once I strip them out or they feel like they are going that way.

SDmc205
05-10-2005, 10:24 PM
I don't have an x-star, but my tower rests on the side panels of my boat if I don't do something about it. So, I use half of a sponge mop (3' handle and mop head) and brace the tower off the the panels. It works really well and is very stable. I've assembled and taken down my tower countless times with no problems from mop failure.