PDA

View Full Version : Winterization Experience - MCX

KBryant2007
11-02-2008, 07:47 PM
I decided to forgo letting the dealer do my winterization this year and undertake the process myself. I have a 2005 ProStar 209 without ballasts. For anyone that is contemplating doing this themselves I would definitely not think twice about it. It's pretty easy and straightforward, and the owner's manual provided good pictures to guide you through the process.

The only thing that concerned me was removing the plug from the underside of the exhaust manifolds. They require a 5/16" inch allen wrench and were in there extremely tight. If you strip these out it would require a major effort to remove them. Be careful here. Other then that, and purchasing a $20 "Fake - A - Lake" to run the boat out of the water to get to operating temperature that's about all you will need.

I paid $250.00 for the service last year, and I'm sure it would have been more this year.

OhioX14
11-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Why did you have to remove plugs on the exhaust manifolds? I always thought that was what the hose between the two was for and I've never had an issue disconnecting just that.

bigmac
11-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Why did you have to remove plugs on the exhaust manifolds? I always thought that was what the hose between the two was for and I've never had an issue disconnecting just that.

Agreed...I've never done that on my 2004, but in 2005 MC says there is also a small brass plug on each side that must be removed.

Jerseydave
11-03-2008, 12:43 PM
With my MCX I run it first to flush out the river water, drain the block and manifolds (I pull the hoses off the manifolds to drain them), replace all the drain plugs and draw-in 4 gals. of -60 purple anti-freeze. (good rust preventative)

craig3972
11-03-2008, 03:16 PM
my 2006 xstar mcx ... I un-couple the left/right manifold hose and remove the anti-knock sensors, then i remove one hose of the heater and just blow thru it untill water stops draining out of the sensor holes. Then i put everything back together, attach my fake-a-lake with a 5 gallon bucket and hose. fill the bucket with plumbing anti-freeze, run the motor untill it has drawn in all the anti-freeze and you can see it coming out the exhaust. i will also run the shower at the same time untill anti-freeze comes out the shower head. it a two person operation to do it safely.

Question.. do you think i have to remove those knock sensors with the method described above?
( they are just a pain to take out)

magnum
11-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Will the engine actually suck the antifreeze thru the fake -a-lake stuck in a bucket or do you have to use some kind of pump to put pressure on it like it is hooked to a waterhose . also does the engine have to be warmed up so it will circulate past the thermostat?

Chicago190
11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Will the engine actually suck the antifreeze thru the fake -a-lake stuck in a bucket or do you have to use some kind of pump to put pressure on it like it is hooked to a waterhose . also does the engine have to be warmed up so it will circulate past the thermostat?

It should be able to suck it up through the hose without positive pressure.

The engine will need to be warmed up so that the thermostat is open, or the other option is to just remove the thermostat and put back in the spring.

trickskier
11-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Darn I'm gald I live in Florida.......................:D