PDA

View Full Version : transmisson cooler lines

Old footr
11-02-2008, 01:30 PM
We are in the process of trying to find out the correct way to drain the trans cooler line(s) in a 94 205 with a Borg Warner velvet drive transmisson. W e loosened off the line on the lower right side and got trans fluid, there is another line going up to raw water intake. Does anyone have experience with this unit?

Did I ever mention how much I dislike winter:mad:

Thanks for your help

bigmac
11-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Why are you trying to drain the transmission cooler lines?

Old footr
11-02-2008, 01:54 PM
My understanding was there was a water line to cool the trans, information in the manual is pretty vaugue.

In the manual is says the following, drain water from the transmission oil cooling system. But no other info.

Thanks for responding

bigmac
11-02-2008, 01:56 PM
My understanding was there was a water line to cool the trans, information in the manual is pretty vaugue.

In the manual is says the following, drain water from the transmission oil cooling system. But no other info.

Thanks for respondingThe transmission cooler is a heat exchanger. ATF is circulated around it while water from the raw water pump passes through it. There is no water circulating through the transmission...the hoses you're seeing only pump ATF.

dsoby
11-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Take the water (big radiator looking thing attached to the cooler with a hose clamps) hoses off and drain the water out.

bigmac
11-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Take the water (big radiator looking thing attached to the cooler with a hose clamps) hoses off and drain the water out.

If you remove the upper hose from the raw water pump, it will accomplish the same thing, although it won't give you the opportunity to clear the tranny cooler strainer of debris. That's on the raw water pump sice of the cooler.

Old footr
11-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Thank you both for your help, my son and his wife took tons of photo's while we did our winterization. We hope to post in the near future to help others. It's not as scary as we first thought in the past we had a dealer do it until the service became so poor we decided to do it ourselves.

Thanks once again

dsoby
11-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Old Footer,
There are many threads about winterization on the site. WInterization is not hard but if you don't know what you are doing, you can really damage your boat. Make sure that you get all of the required lines and engine plugs drained or you risk an engine change in the spring.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Old Footer

If it is not clear already, just take the hose off the back of the transmission cooler to drain. If unsure of the cooler location, follow the large hose that comes through the hull behind the engine until you come to a black metal can as shown in bigmac's diagram. Once the back hose has been removed you should be able to tip the cooler downward to help drain out any remaining water. I leave mine like this over the winter ...... if you do not reassemble, leave a reminder so that you don't forget to reconnect in spring! It would make for a pretty nasty leak.

You have most likely already reconnected the cooling lines to the transmission ..... a word of caution on them however. Do not over tighten the fittings since they work as compression fittings, over tightening may crack the brass as it is forced out over its cone shaped mate.