PDA

View Full Version : Can I run my ProStar 205 out of the water?

slickskis
11-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I want to winterize and need to warm up the engine to change the oil etc. CAn I run the engine in my driveway and how do I hook up water for cooling?

dsoby
11-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Yes if you can get ahold of a "fake a lake".

coz
11-02-2008, 02:48 PM
I want to winterize and need to warm up the engine to change the oil etc. CAn I run the engine in my driveway and how do I hook up water for cooling?

If you have the connection you can just hook the hose up

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/2995783789_dc116fe9d3_o.jpg

Cloaked
11-02-2008, 04:23 PM
A water hose and nozzle routed into the top of the cooler will do the same. Run the engine as long as you like.

88 PS190
11-02-2008, 08:01 PM
With that last method I prefer to take the hose off the thru-hull fitting and not the trans cooler, then I place it in a 5 gallon bucket set beside the engine, I place the garden hose into the intake hose a few inches, then turn on the water. Allow the bucket to become mostly full, then start the boat.

With the method pictured there is no way to tell if you are providing enough water current or if the boat is getting air/water mix.

Cloaked
11-02-2008, 08:06 PM
With that last method I prefer to take the hose off the thru-hull fitting and not the trans cooler, then I place it in a 5 gallon bucket set beside the engine, I place the garden hose into the intake hose a few inches, then turn on the water. Allow the bucket to become mostly full, then start the boat.

With the method pictured there is no way to tell if you are providing enough water current or if the boat is getting air/water mix.Each to their own but without trying it, indeed you will not know. Been doing it this way for as many years as I suspect that you have been around.:D

Remember, pumps do not suck, they push fluid. Pretensiously sucking water from the bucket would lead me to be skeptical of sufficient water flow if I were splitting hairs here, other than watching the temp gauge. But like I said, without trying it, I'll never know. :)

TX.X-30 fan
11-02-2008, 08:15 PM

With the method pictured there is no way to tell if you are providing enough water current or if the boat is getting air/water mix.

Seems like overkill why would the engine not be getting sufficient water with 40psi out of a garden hose. I have a tee before the pump. No fake a lake cause its under the bunks on mine, but would be easy as well.

TMCNo1
11-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Over the years, I've used about all the methods with a couple inboards, T in the line, garden hose in the raw water pickup line, letting the pump suck it out of a 5 gallon bucket and the Fake-A-Lake and have ran the boat for more than 30 minutes at a time on all the methods without the temp getting above a normal 150 degrees or so up to around 1200 rpm. It's just different strokes for different folks and the Fake-A-Lake is my favorite of them all, much less mess and less time consuming.

88 PS190
11-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Well my hose on full tilt into a 5 gallon bucket with the boat at idle will slowly drain.

Not everyone gets 40 PSI out of their garden hoses.

Muttley
11-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I made my own fake-a-lake with a plunger, a hose fitting and a rubber suction cup from a snow ski rack. Cost me $5.

loeweb
11-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Well my hose on full tilt into a 5 gallon bucket with the boat at idle will slowly drain.

Not everyone gets 40 PSI out of their garden hoses.

I'll second that. It takes my boat probably a minute to get the water drained out of the bucket before I have to shut it off and let the bucket fill back up. To me, it's just cheap insurance knowing how much water the boat is drinking and I don't have to guess.

dsoby
11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
I'll second that. It takes my boat probably a minute to get the water drained out of the bucket before I have to shut it off and let the bucket fill back up. To me, it's just cheap insurance knowing how much water the boat is drinking and I don't have to guess.

If this is true, maybe fake-a-lake doesn't provide enough water in all cases either.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I thought the whole idea of having a boat is to go on the water. why woudl you want to drive it in your yard?

I dont get it.

TMCNo1
11-03-2008, 08:37 PM
I thought the whole idea of having a boat is to go on the water. why woudl you want to drive it in your yard?

I dont get it.

I don't either!
We went snow skiing once, tore up three props and only got the boat 1/2 way up the hill!:rolleyes::D

Doug G
11-03-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't either!
We went snow skiing once, tore up three props and only got the boat 1/2 way up the hill!:rolleyes::D

You forgot to trim it again! How many times we gotta tell ya trim that beaatch up when your in the yard. Only trim down in the driveway. Just watch out for the stones kicking up against the teak. :rolleyes:

Doug G
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM

I dont get it.

I back mine up to the garden, cheaper than renting a rototiller and a great method of polishing the prop. Rudder makes great planting rows.

east tx skier
11-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Get a 5 gallon bucket, a 3/4" threaded ball valve, a hose clamp, and 3 feet of 1.25" I.D. flexible PVC hose. Hook the PVC hose up to the hull side of the transmission cooler and clamp it on tight. Put the other end in the bucket. Put the ball valve on a garden hose and drop it in the bucket. Fill the bucket up 3/4 way full and start the engine. Leave the hose running and monitor to see if it's keeping up with the engine. Easy solution for under $10.

TRBenj
11-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Theres no need for the water supply to keep up with with the full demands of the pump. As long as the impeller is lubricated and the engine doesnt overheat, it doesnt matter if the pump is drawing a mix of water and air. An inline tee is elegant in its simplicity, and cheap (less than $15 in parts from Home Depot/Lowes).

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/strainer_hose.jpg

ProStar Slalom
11-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Theres no need for the water supply to keep up with with the full demands of the pump. As long as the impeller is lubricated and the engine doesnt overheat, it doesnt matter if the pump is drawing a mix of water and air. An inline tee is elegant in its simplicity, and cheap (less than $15 in parts from Home Depot/Lowes).

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/strainer_hose.jpg

Couldn't have said it any better myself....any of these techniques will work as long as there is a continuous flow of "some" water.

JohnE
11-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Couldn't have said it any better myself....any of these techniques will work as long as there is a continuous flow of "some" water.

I don't know. When I was asking MYMC about the best way to run my MCX out of the water, he told me to hook a garden hose up to the raw water intake hose. He said that he would be concerned that a fake a lake wouldn't give it enough water. I don't know much about this stuff, but he does...

Fletchx7
11-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't know. When I was asking MYMC about the best way to run my MCX out of the water, he told me to hook a garden hose up to the raw water intake hose. He said that he would be concerned that a fake a lake wouldn't give it enough water. I don't know much about this stuff, but he does...

I do this exact thing and it has always worked well for me. I built an adapter with a garden hose and a spare piece of "intake" hose. Clamp it on and go. The only problem I have ever had is remembering where I put the adapter from the year before. :D

TRBenj
11-05-2008, 09:39 AM
In that scenario, it would be possible for the RWP to collapse the garden hose if it cant keep up with the flow, thereby cutting off the water supply completely. THAT would concern me.

Ive run off hoses with varying amounts of water pressure- but I assume that even the stronger supply wouldnt keep pace with the full demands of the RWP. Allowing the pump to draw some air along with the water does no harm- remember that the engine is not under load, so it is not going to overheat. It might also be worth mentioning that I get very good life out of my impellers. Im going on 4+ years with the current one.

Sodar
11-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Just take the intake hose off the intake side of the pump and attach this. Cost me about $15 in parts at the hardware store....