PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Prostar 205 for wakeboarding -- advice?

jerrypauls
05-05-2005, 07:56 PM
I am thinking of buying a 1995 Prostar 205 for my family and would appreciate any feedback about what I can expect from it.

I am looking for a family boat that will primarily be used for wakeboarding. I used to be into slaloming but now do about 90% wakeboarding as does my 16 year old son. I am upgrading from a 17' inboard/outboard. Will I be pleased with the wake on a 95 Prostar 205? Or will I need to weigh it down significantly to make it a decent wakeboard boat?

The boat has about 500 hours on it? Is that a lot for these boats? How many hours can one expect from these?

Is there anything in particular I should check out on these boats before I buy?

Thanks a bunch for any feedback.

BriEOD
05-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Some of your questions are kind of vague. But, the PS 205 is probably the best all time selling MC. 1995 was a good year and I don't recall any major trouble. They started using EFI in 94'. I'm not sure what your ability is on a wakeboard. The PS 205 hull was used to design the orginal X-Star (I believe). Over and I/O I would think you'll be happy. A friend of mine has a 94' 205 and his kid can do 360's and other tricks off the wake with no added fat sacks, etc. 500 hours over a 10 year period doesn't sound like a lot to me. How much are they asking?

AirJunky
05-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Great boat. I have a '94 & love it. But I weight it to get a good wake, about 800 lbs scattered all thru the boat. Nice wake & still drives like it's on rails.
500 hours is not bad at all, like 50 hours a year. Average is around 75. I have almost 600 on mine & it runs great.
You might consider a v-drive if wakeboard is all your interested in. But the 205 is a lot more manueverable, gets far better gas mileage & is a more verisatile boat all around.

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I've got the 93 205. Between you, me, and Bill, we'd just about have that hull covered. Same hull on the 205 from 92--95. All fuel injected 94 and up. Mine's carb'd. Great slalom hull. I wouldn't know about the wakeboard wake. The hull changed in 96, which is the hull originally used for the X-star (now the X2).

These boats are rated for 2,000 hours, but it all depends on how it was maintained. Search for "what to look for when buying a boat" or something like that. A lot of good info has been posted.

Welcome to the board. Good luck with your purchase. Keep us posted and post some pictures.

rem_pss308
05-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Ditto on everything said so far.
I have a 93 205 also. My son is an advanced wakeboarder. He too can do 360's, and a few rotations( flips) with out any added weight. He has outgrown the boat now, and prefers to ride behind an x-star, or air nautique. We ride with over 1000 lbs of added ballast in the boat. the wake is great. The added room in the bow is great for the family also.
I like my boat greatly, and will keep it for a long time. If I had it to do again, ( for wakeboarding purposes ) the hulls starting in 1996 have deeper sides, and throw a bigger wake. At the time I bought mine, they were still too expensive.
If the price is right, and the boat is in good shape, go for it. You wont be disapointed. I had 475 hours on mine, and I have over 800 on it now. Only a few minor problems.

Diesel
05-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Best boat I have ever owned. My new 209 has a lot to live up to and I am hopeful it will. BTW I still have mine for sale http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=220&sort=1&cat=5&page=2

PM me if you have any questions or would like to see some more pictures........... ;)

H2OGirl
05-06-2005, 10:36 AM
I am no expert by any means on this, I am a beginner wakeboarder, but my husband and I just bought an 05 x-10. We mostly wakeboard, so we wanted something with good wake shape and size. We really debated between the x-2 and x-10. The x-2 definitly has a better wake shape (as it is the old x-star) we opted for the x-10 because of the room factor, so we sacrificed a little in wake shape. We really aren't any good so we figured we'd probably never know the dif anyway. As far as adding weight, from what I've read and researched most people who board add weight in addition to the factory ballast in even the x-star. We added 2 275 lb fat sacks to the bow and 2 275 lb fat sacks in the rear storage area plus the factory ballast. I hope to have some picts soon of the wake. We haven't got to take any rides behind the boat yet, we had some trouble right away, we are all good now and just waiting for the weather to warm up. I'll let you know how the wake is.

Guess what I was trying to say, is I bet you will like the wake with out any extra weight but I'll bet you love it more if you add more weight. The key is to add weight evenly throught the boat, not just in the rear.

We also board behind on 190 ps, a malibu and a ski nautique and we have to add weight to all of them from 800-1000 lbs.

We had a 21 ft I/O last year with a tower on it and traded that in for the x-10, we liked that boat but also had to add about 800 lbs for better wake.

H2OGirl
05-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Something else to think about if you mostly wakeboard, you might want a tower or a fly high pole on the boat, much nicer and you definitly get bigger air, also the board racks are almost a must to get the stuff out of the way. Personally we wanted that stuff that was factory and not after market, but that is matter of opinion.

Robert Averyt
05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Best boat I have ever owned. I wish I had never traded it. For a new boat. I had almost 1000 hours on mine when I traded it and it ran great.
The lifters were starting to make a little noise but it ran great.

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 10:47 AM
I am thinking of buying a 1995 Prostar 205 for my family and would appreciate any feedback about what I can expect from it.

I am looking for a family boat that will primarily be used for wakeboarding. I used to be into slaloming but now do about 90% wakeboarding as does my 16 year old son. I am upgrading from a 17' inboard/outboard. Will I be pleased with the wake on a 95 Prostar 205? Or will I need to weigh it down significantly to make it a decent wakeboard boat?

The boat has about 500 hours on it? Is that a lot for these boats? How many hours can one expect from these?

Is there anything in particular I should check out on these boats before I buy?

Thanks a bunch for any feedback.

The best advice I have gotten in my search is to make sure you try out a variety of different boats. Don't rush into the decision, ski and drive many models before purchasing.

east tx skier
05-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Best boat I have ever owned. I wish I had never traded it. For a new boat. I had almost 1000 hours on mine when I traded it and it ran great.
The lifters were starting to make a little noise but it ran great.

Robert, you sure know how to make a guy smile. I like you, man!

prostar205
05-06-2005, 01:19 PM
I had a '95 PS205 and absolutely loved it. I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. I put 219 hours on mine before I sold it in 2002. I never had one problem with it. For skiing, it is top notch. The wake has a slight rooster tail at 15-22 off at 34 mph but other than that, its great. For wakeboarding, I installed a Next Level Designs (www.nldesigns.com) tower and added 4 fat sacs (600 lbs in rear, 2-250 lb on the side of the engine and 1-275 lb in the walkway). My only issue with adding that much weight was the boat was not designed for this much weight and it tended to plow thru the water. I only had the 275hp TBI engine. If you are going to use the boat for wakeboard, I would get these items on it, as a minimum.

1) tower - Zero Flex version
2) Board Rack are a must
3) LT1 engine
4) add fat sacs

That should do it. It is a great boat and a great hull. The only reason I sold mine was because we used it on a large lake in Seattle (Lake Washington) and the boat was just too small for that big of a lake. I also have 2 small kids (5 yr old boy and 3 yr Girl). We need more of a family boat. I now have a 2002 X30. I really like it but miss my PS205.

God luck in your selection.

jerrypauls
05-06-2005, 04:04 PM
WOW! This board is great.

Thanks for all the replies. They are extremely helpful. Kind of makes me want to be a Mastercraft owner.

The boat I am looking at already has a tower, so that is not an issue. My only concern with fat sacs is that they would seem to take up the entire boat. Wakeboarding is a great social/family sport, but the fat sacs wouldn't seem to leave any room for people.

People are identifying a changed hull in the 96+ model. How significant is the change for wakeboarding wake? Would I be that much better off shopping around for a 96 model? Or is it still going to require lots of ballast?

Thanks again for your feedback!

AirJunky
05-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Yea, a 96 will still need to be weighted to have much of a wake. The gunnels are taller so you can weight it even more.

I use lead & steel for my weight. That way if the boat ever sinks, it'll go straight to the bottom! ;)
Seriously, I use that type of weight because I am not concerned with putting it in & out of the boat but I appreciate having the interior room.

east tx skier
05-06-2005, 04:40 PM
You could also go with the fat seat option. But again, I'm no wake boarder so I don't know if that's a good way to weigh a boat or not. That later hulls 96 and up of this boat have more room, and are just plain bigger. My father in law has a 98 205 behind which I regularly ski so I am intimately familiar with the differences from a skier's perspective. When the earlier hull was designed, wakeboarding was barely a sport, and may have still been called skurfing. The later hull was the first hull to carry the X-Star graphics.

Either will probably suit your purposes just fine. If I had to bet, I'd say the later hull would be a bit better for boarding. For slalom, I'd go with the earlier hull. The slalom wake is a little taller on the later hull in my opinion. But still great to ski. Less spray behind the later models, too.

Larryp
05-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey Doug, what is that avatar.

east tx skier
05-06-2005, 04:48 PM
It's "The Jesus," a character John Tuturo (sp) played in The Big Lebowski.

ChrisJR10
05-08-2005, 02:15 AM
I have a '94 Prostar 205 that I use primarily for wakeboarding. I've heard many people say they use lead weight....what type of lead can I use and where can I buy it?

Also, how much total weight should I put and how should I distribute it? Right now I have a fat boy (~500lb) in the back and a fat tube in the front. Thanks!

NatesGr8
05-08-2005, 04:15 AM
I have a 94 190 and have found that the wake is monsterous if using two 700 lb fat sacs in the back, replacing the rear seat. I believe that for any good wakeboarding wake, ballast will be required, and if you don't want to sacrifice passenger space then you'll need a newer boat with the ballasts built in.

:twocents:

erkoehler
05-08-2005, 07:07 AM
I have a 94 190 and have found that the wake is monsterous if using two 700 lb fat sacs in the back, replacing the rear seat. I believe that for any good wakeboarding wake, ballast will be required, and if you don't want to sacrifice passenger space then you'll need a newer boat with the ballasts built in.

:twocents:

You should read the thread about the platform bracket snapping off if you haven't done so already.

c640947
05-08-2005, 10:23 AM
I have a 95 190 I have had since it was new and it is awesome - even better than when I got it. Had to make some updates (tower, perfect pass), but 1200 lbs of fat sacs and my friend Ian is back there throwing 4 different 540s and I have seen all kinds of inverts behind it. Sold year for Mastercraft.