PDA

View Full Version : X-star set-up for surfing............

Jerseydave
11-01-2008, 09:06 PM
How do you set-up yours for surfing?

I've tried filling the port-rear tank plus another 400# sac in port locker, filled KGB tank and added 260# lead on the floor near port-rear seat.

How do you load your X-star for surfing?

Ole Miss Rebels
11-02-2008, 12:28 AM
port factory filled. kgb filled 1/2 way. rear port fly high filled 3/4 way. forward port fly high filled all the way. all human ballast on port side equally spread from rear to forward. i have had the wake really big before but it can end up close to the boat unless you put a significant portion in the bow. an xstar wave is difficult to create and equally difficult to duplicate but with persistence it can be very large and clean it just takes a lot of weight and properly placed. good luck.

CottagerGreg
11-02-2008, 11:37 AM
I've done...

Port locker factory ballast filled..
2 x 440 lb sacs on port locker... 2 people on port side of boat....

Set speed for 10.8mph-11.4mph depending on extra bodies on port side of the boat.

Here is a youtube vid of brother surfing.. got to get a better board... O'brien 4'6" alias is hindering fun level...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37-5aFHEZaE

Ole Miss Rebels
11-02-2008, 11:54 AM
10.5-11.0 mph while turning in a slight left-hand arc. this will clean up the wash and shape the wake into a steep, clean wave with a slight curl at the top. remember, the more weight you can get up front on the port side the further back from the boat the wave becomes located. all the weight in the rear will have you surfing right on top of the platform. rock out.

Jerseydave
11-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I've done...

Port locker factory ballast filled..
2 x 440 lb sacs on port locker... 2 people on port side of boat....

Set speed for 10.8mph-11.4mph depending on extra bodies on port side of the boat.

Here is a youtube vid of brother surfing.. got to get a better board... O'brien 4'6" alias is hindering fun level...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37-5aFHEZaE

Wave looks good.............do you have any weight up front?

CottagerGreg
11-02-2008, 04:46 PM
no wieght up front on that vid..

One time we put the same wieght but 3 people on the sun pad on the port side, guy hangin off tower and 3 women in the front.. you could surf 15' back...wave was soo long and clean...

vision
11-02-2008, 06:06 PM
port factory filled. kgb filled 1/2 way. rear port fly high filled 3/4 way. forward port fly high filled all the way. all human ballast on port side equally spread from rear to forward. i have had the wake really big before but it can end up close to the boat unless you put a significant portion in the bow. an xstar wave is difficult to create and equally difficult to duplicate but with persistence it can be very large and clean it just takes a lot of weight and properly placed. good luck.

I agree. Not the best surf boat, but not bad. We just did our last run of the season including some surfing. We had about 500lbs in fat sac in the port rear locker, filled the port factory ballast, about 400lbs up front (fly high sac under port bow seat and another 200lbs in ballast sacs) and of course nothing on the starboard side. Nothing in the KGB.

PWTXstar
11-03-2008, 10:12 AM
For "regular" side wake I have the best results when I fill Stock Port and Center Ballast, Port FlyHigh (750 in the port locker) and both FlyHigh 350's in the bow. Then I fill a 400 under the passenger seat, 400 in the seat, and 400 on swim platform.

We surf between 12.5 and 13.5.

Here are a few pics.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-03-2008, 11:43 AM
WOW, PWTXstar....you dudes got it goin' on. do you have a pic of that wake from inside the boat? i would like to see the face of that wave. how would you rate your wave against that of an Enzo or some other surf-specific boat? thanks for the pics. i would love to come ride with you guys some day. y'all look like you know what you are doing. keep on rocking-out and riding.

PWTXstar
11-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks......We just keep experimenting. Here is a YouTube link to a video of my son. This is his second season surfing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VNdY1suLig

Unfortunately, our wake is not even close to a sac'd out Enzo, but we keep tryin.

Your welcome anytime you want to ride. We are trying to get a few more weeks out of this season. Went this weekend and water temp was 64.

corey
11-03-2008, 04:20 PM
We ran stock KGB and Port ballast with a full fat sac on top of the KGB and another in the walkway to the bow. I think at about 10.8 or 11 mph.

MLD004
07-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Any suggestions on goofy set up. Had it out this weekend and filled full starboard another 750 in the rear locker. Full KGB and 350s in front locker. The wake was not very good. Thanks

Jerseydave
07-22-2013, 03:37 PM
I tried a few times to make a goofy wake for surfing on my star, didn't happen.

I think the combination of the hull and prop rotation make it impossible to get a good starboard surf wake. Tell you surfer to backside surf on the port wake! :D

bjames
07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
I havent tried it yet, but I have seen a few post suggesting filling ALL stock tanks 100% full. This will sink the boat evenly.

The add 750 lbs in rear locker on the side your surfing.

Add another 400 or 750 lbs bag either on the seat or floor (on the side your surfing).

This will lean the boat.

The problem is the Star doesnt sit deep in the water which make it difficult to create a good surf wake.

MLD004
07-23-2013, 12:14 PM
I'll try putting a bag on the floor to see if that helps. I tried to put one on the seat, but it would stay there.

bjames
07-23-2013, 03:39 PM
I'll try putting a bag on the floor to see if that helps. I tried to put one on the seat, but it would stay there.

I had the same problem, also I dont think i will place a 750lbs bag on the seat again after seeing how much pressure it puts on the seat bottoms.

MLD004
07-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Anybody have surf tabs? Do they work?

CottagerGreg
07-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Wakesurfcanada on Instagram has a great wake on his xstar, best I've seen