PDA

View Full Version : Wii Purchase Help

JohnnyB
11-01-2008, 10:02 PM
I want to get my kids a Wii console for Christmas but I'm really out of touch with the whole video game world.

What should I buy and where should I buy it?

I think I want the Wii Guitar Hero III bundle and then want to buy the 10 piece Wii sports set to go with it......someone guide me.....or ask your middle school aged kid to guide me.

:confused:

TX.X-30 fan
11-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Hang on I'm getting my 5yr old he has a 200+ bowling average. :D

Footin
11-01-2008, 10:51 PM
I just picked one up last week, I bought the Wii game pack. I came with an extra controller and 10 extra games (I think)....it was around 325.00

I went to a local Walmart and the kid working there told me what to get. He also told me the get them in on Tuesday mornings. I went back Tuesday at noon and got one of the last ones.

FrankSchwab
11-01-2008, 11:42 PM
I just bought one last week. Haven't opened the Guitar Hero World Tour box, though, 'cause that has to wait for Christmas.

You need the Wii Console. About $250. All the ones around here come with one WiiMote (the controller), a Nunchuk (a small, secondary controller that plugs into the WiiMote so that you can use two hands for some games. You can't use it for a second player), and Wii Sports (half-a-dozen introductory Wii Games (Tennis, Bowling, Baseball, etc)). The Wii Sports games are entertaining for a few days.

If you have any family at all, you will need a second controller (WiiMote) (about $40), and perhaps a second Nunchuk (about $20). If you're a really gregarious group, many games support up to four controllers, but I haven't seen a need for four nunchuks. WiiPlay is a reasonably good bundle - a controller and several games for $50. The games qualify more as "mini-games", or perhaps just training games, but they're worth the $10.

That's most of the hardware you need. The $10 plastic kit with a fake golf club, tennis racket, etc., is something you'd try once, and then throw away. You don't need a wireless sensor bar at first; if it solves a problem for you later, get it later. You don't need a rechargeable battery and charging stand, but it does look pretty attractive as a place to neatly keep your WiiMotes rather than trying to find them between the cushions on the couch, under the coffee table, etc.

We bought the Wii Fit ($90), but don't have much experience with it yet. It looks like an excellent game controller and has some fun games with it, but takes itself way too seriously as a fitness device. It does have good reviews as a fitness device; will have to try it some day.

We bought Guitar Hero World Tour over Rock Band 2, mainly on the basis of the (poorly reviewed) "Beginner mode" that might make it easier for my seven year olds to get started. My boy is just entranced with the drum kit every time we see it walking through the store.

That probably does it for the basics. Next, you need to decide what kinds of games you like. If you like technically superior games with involved gameplay (the GTA series, for example), well you're buying the wrong console. Get an XBox. If you want to pick it up after work a couple of times a week, and laugh with the kids, then Mario Kart, and Mario Party 8 seem to be extraordinarily popular.

Damn, just located the link for the site that says basically the same thing. Oh, well, give it a try:
TakeFive (http://www.takefiveaday.com/2007/06/14/nintendo-wii-bundle-is-it-a-good-deal/).

Nobody is discounting the Wii at this point; In fact, there are still people on Craigslist and Ebay trying to sell consoles for $50 to $100 over retail. They are still in short supply, though that appears to have eased over the last month.

Good luck,

/frank

JohnnyB
11-02-2008, 08:08 AM
I just bought one last week. Haven't opened the Guitar Hero World Tour box, though, 'cause that has to wait for Christmas.

You need the Wii Console. About $250. All the ones around here come with one WiiMote (the controller), a Nunchuk (a small, secondary controller that plugs into the WiiMote so that you can use two hands for some games. You can't use it for a second player), and Wii Sports (half-a-dozen introductory Wii Games (Tennis, Bowling, Baseball, etc)). The Wii Sports games are entertaining for a few days.

If you have any family at all, you will need a second controller (WiiMote) (about $40), and perhaps a second Nunchuk (about $20). If you're a really gregarious group, many games support up to four controllers, but I haven't seen a need for four nunchuks. WiiPlay is a reasonably good bundle - a controller and several games for $50. The games qualify more as "mini-games", or perhaps just training games, but they're worth the $10.

That's most of the hardware you need. The $10 plastic kit with a fake golf club, tennis racket, etc., is something you'd try once, and then throw away. You don't need a wireless sensor bar at first; if it solves a problem for you later, get it later. You don't need a rechargeable battery and charging stand, but it does look pretty attractive as a place to neatly keep your WiiMotes rather than trying to find them between the cushions on the couch, under the coffee table, etc.

We bought the Wii Fit ($90), but don't have much experience with it yet. It looks like an excellent game controller and has some fun games with it, but takes itself way too seriously as a fitness device. It does have good reviews as a fitness device; will have to try it some day.

We bought Guitar Hero World Tour over Rock Band 2, mainly on the basis of the (poorly reviewed) "Beginner mode" that might make it easier for my seven year olds to get started. My boy is just entranced with the drum kit every time we see it walking through the store.

That probably does it for the basics. Next, you need to decide what kinds of games you like. If you like technically superior games with involved gameplay (the GTA series, for example), well you're buying the wrong console. Get an XBox. If you want to pick it up after work a couple of times a week, and laugh with the kids, then Mario Kart, and Mario Party 8 seem to be extraordinarily popular.

Damn, just located the link for the site that says basically the same thing. Oh, well, give it a try:
TakeFive (http://www.takefiveaday.com/2007/06/14/nintendo-wii-bundle-is-it-a-good-deal/).

Nobody is discounting the Wii at this point; In fact, there are still people on Craigslist and Ebay trying to sell consoles for $50 to $100 over retail. They are still in short supply, though that appears to have eased over the last month.

Good luck,

/frank

Very helpful...thanks Frank!!!!

Keep the thoughts coming.

h2oskifreak
11-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Get one now, they may be hard to get as Christmas gets closer. Forget the discount as others have said. Wii sports is a good start and the bundles are a good value. I went through the hassle of the hottest consols w/ PS3 and the Wii the last two Christmas seasons. Take my advice and get the set while available. I was the idiot waiting for the UPS trucks to roll in every few days at a few stores. I ended up justg getting lucky both years but it is a time suck for sure. The economy may make this year not as busy but I wouldn't count on it. People will always find a way when it is for the children. Paying $600 (now bout $300) for the PS3 2 years ago by me is an example of that.

Maristar210
11-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I found the best deal for the system at Costco.

Games and accessories were easy to find at Game Stop.

What are you looking to get for them?

The steering wheel is cool IMO

Utahfoiler
11-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Get the rechargeable batteries for the controllers. If your kids play like mine, you will be spending a lot more on batteries.

JohnnyB
11-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Got the system for $250 at Target today.....actually stood in line.....never done that before and never plan to do it again.....helped reinforce that the general public is a PITA....people were rude.

Anyway....game console $250, extra controller and sports package $40, extra nunchuck $20. Aerosmith guitar hero game with two guitars was $105 I think. Also got the wireless bar for $20.

I should go get another set for sale on ebay on Dec 20th :D:confused:

Ski-me
11-03-2008, 12:11 PM
I'd second the recharging battery pack. Save some batteries and go re-chargable.

My kids enjoy the "Monkey Ball" game which is mario brothers and the guitar hero. I'm sure yours is but double check that the guitar hero you bought is "wireless".

Good job on getting it early. I was one of those that paid a premium at Christmas last year.

The Wii is more family friendly too. Just look at the kids games for Playstation and Xbox.....very little selection. If you want action/violence/teen+ rated.......than Playstation and Xbox are for you.

I prefer the Wii for my kids.....definitely. Good choice.

dapicatti
11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Target has buy 2 games get one free for Wii this week....just picked some up for my nieces for Christmas.

mlay
11-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Get the rechargeable batteries for the controllers. If your kids play like mine, you will be spending a lot more on batteries.

Ditto...best investment I made for the kids Wii system.

Sodar
11-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I bought Wii for my g/f's birthday back in May. It seems to get played when everyone congregates prior to going out for a weekend evening. We only have 3 games (Wii Sports, Mario Cart & Beer Pong). Everyone usually goes for the Wii Sports since it is so easy to pick up and have fun with. Some mornings I find myself reading the news off of it, just because I love the globe and the way the weather works... Its a cool unit... expensive, but cool.