PDA

View Full Version : 2008 X-2 Winterization Question

jgarner
11-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Guys, need some advice if you don't mind. I am going to winterize the boat tomorrow and here is my questions. We had the first oil change and transmission fluid changed at the 20 hour mark. Since, that time we have put about 10 hours on the boat. Should I change the oil/filter and transmission fluid now or should I wait? What is the advantage of changing the oil now rather than at the beginning of the season? Thanks for the input.

Jesus_Freak
11-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Changing now removes the combusion byproducts, oxidized oil, unburned hydrocarbons, etc. from remaining in contact with engine seals while in hibernation. You might search the forum and check the FAQs...

Psheehy
11-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Much better to put it away w/ all clean fluids

bigmac
11-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Transmission oil probably not a big deal, except for the possibility that you MIGHT have accumulated some water in it, which could freeze. This is probably unlikely on a new boat, but may become more of a problem as it ages and it's a good habit to get into. As to the engine, as JF mentioned you have some combustion byproducts sitting in there which could theoretically have an adverse effect on the engine's longevity - there could be some sludge formation over the winter, as well as etching by the organic acids that can result from even a little blowby (sulfuric and nitric acid, primarily). Generally, it's better to put the boat away with clean, fresh lubricants.

Thrall
09-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I always change the oil/filter and trans fluid at the end of the season regardless of hrs. It's cheap insurance. With 10 hrs on the new trans oil, I'd skip it without losing any sleep though.
WIth that said, I jsut chnaged the oil in my CJ5 this summer and I'm sure that thing has had the same oil in it for 15 yrs and it still runs. It also didn't cost $40k, so I'm not too wound up about it.
I bought a new fuel filter and trans filter for the X2 with the intention of changing them out this fall, got 60hrs on the boat/filters. MC of AZ said don't waste my time, save them for next fall or around 100hrs. Same with the trans oil, but I'll be changing it anyway for the $10 it costs for a jug of Rotella.

airbornjim
09-09-2009, 11:42 AM
:confused:If you winterize it, you cant use it:confused: