PDA

View Full Version : X1 Ballast

mccobmd
10-31-2008, 07:17 PM
I know there are some of you out there that have permanent ballast in the ski locker (solid). My question is what does that do to the ski wake and wakeboard wake. I am going to upgrade my port ballast for surfing. Have looked at plumbing in a tube sac and/or filling it manually in the ski locker. Both have upsides and downsides. I'm big into the no hassle factor and figured if the weight in the ski locker doesn't change the wake significanly I may just weight it and leave it. I have a 2006 with RTP and standard prop and don't get enough total weight to make hole shot an issue. I trailer everywhere and the extra 350lbs really wouldn't be an issue if it meant less hassle getting there and leaving. I love the wakeboard wake with no ballast because it is clean and I can get plenty high for me with no ballast at all and don't want to alter that significantly. The ski wake at 30mph is acceptable for my wife but she really wouln't want it any bigger. Help appreciated.

Jerseydave
10-31-2008, 08:38 PM
My buddy has a bag in his ski locker filled all the time and trailers it that way too.

He also removed the stock hard tanks in the rear and replaced with (2) 400# sacs. They fill with the stock pumps. He manually fills another 500# sac in the walkway. Great wake this way, you should try it.

He replaced the stock prop with an OJ 14.25 X 14.5 for best holeshot.

BTW, he never skis.

icedog-10
10-31-2008, 08:52 PM
You can get into a whole discussion on surf wakes on an X1 and there have been several on this board. In my opinion it is inpossible to surf an X1 without some hassle. I have gotten my cleanest surf wake with nothin in the ski locker 750 on the side and about 500 in the Intigraded Bow Sac from Fat Sacs. There is no way you want to leave that full all the time.
In regards to the ski wake with the ski locker full, some will say the wake is better because it brings the bow down. I have tried it and the wake does seem a little smaller. Don't pay attention to my picture, I also have a 205V.

X2M
10-31-2008, 08:56 PM
I know there are some of you out there that have permanent ballast in the ski locker (solid). My question is what does that do to the ski wake and wakeboard wake. I am going to upgrade my port ballast for surfing. Have looked at plumbing in a tube sac and/or filling it manually in the ski locker. Both have upsides and downsides. I'm big into the no hassle factor and figured if the weight in the ski locker doesn't change the wake significanly I may just weight it and leave it. I have a 2006 with RTP and standard prop and don't get enough total weight to make hole shot an issue. I trailer everywhere and the extra 350lbs really wouldn't be an issue if it meant less hassle getting there and leaving. I love the wakeboard wake with no ballast because it is clean and I can get plenty high for me with no ballast at all and don't want to alter that significantly. The ski wake at 30mph is acceptable for my wife but she really wouln't want it any bigger. Help appreciated.

Hi mccobmd. We have an '05 x2... same hull as your x1. We have found that the ski wake flattens out with the ski locker bag about 1/2 full. My husband skis around 30mph also and we fill the ski locker bag 1/2 full everytime. It does make both the wakeboard and surf wake better when completely full. Hope this helps.:)