PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

rem_pss308
10-31-2008, 12:29 AM
I have one of these on a hose running between my manifolds.
What is it, and what is it for.
Mine looks like it has been leaking some.

water_junky
10-31-2008, 12:33 AM
That is for draining the water out of your exhaust manifolds when you winterize your boat.

Terry

Hrkdrivr
10-31-2008, 09:14 AM
what junky said...disconnect at the fitting, let them drain into the bilge (or a bucket) and then I leave them disconnected for the winter...

corey
10-31-2008, 10:02 AM
You should replace those with the newer metal fittings. The plastic ones have been known to crack and hence leak.

andy@midwestmastercraft
10-31-2008, 10:04 AM
I would recommend that you go to a hardware store and buy brass hose fittings and replace the plastic version. We have seen a lot of those plastic connections fail. If yours are already leaking now is the time to do it. You can just cut out the old plastic version and hose clamp in a brass replacement.

mdskier
10-31-2008, 11:11 AM
I have the same thing on my 1999 Maristar. I am wondering why it runs over the engine as opposed to under? Where the hoses connect to the manifolds causes a severe kink in the hose because it has to come up over the engine. I was thinking about making them go down under the engine instead. It would be a much smoother route and there seems to be nothing to get caught on or any reason not to do this.

Any issues I am not thinking about?

Maristar210
10-31-2008, 11:16 AM
I would recommend that you go to a hardware store and buy brass hose fittings and replace the plastic version. We have seen a lot of those plastic connections fail. If yours are already leaking now is the time to do it. You can just cut out the old plastic version and hose clamp in a brass replacement.

So we should go to the hardware store and purchase something to replace the way it was made from the factory? Here's an idea:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hollywood
10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
^^ Wouldn't be the first time. MC is king of the DIY factory fixes and "recalls"

rem_pss308
10-31-2008, 09:46 PM
I dont winterize. I live in north florida, and use it all winter on warm days.

Could I just replace it with a hose, or maybe cap it off on each one?

vision
10-31-2008, 11:10 PM
I dont winterize. I live in north florida, and use it all winter on warm days.

Could I just replace it with a hose, or maybe cap it off on each one?

Water has to circulate from one exhaust manifold to the other via this hose. Not sure what you meant by cap it off, but just wanted to point out that you can not simply eliminate this connection. But I am not a marine mechanic so if some one knows better, hopefully they will add their opinion.

However, a single hose connecting the two manifolds without the coupling in the middle should be fine.

88 PS190
11-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Why does water have to circulate between the manifolds on new boats but not on old boats which just have brass plugs?

Do both manifolds not have feeds on the front from the water pump?

east tx skier
11-01-2008, 01:21 PM
If you are only winterizing once a year, I'd suggest just replacing it with a couple of brass plugs. If you are draining throughout the winter, i.e., regular winter use, I can see it being useful.

bigmac
11-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Why does water have to circulate between the manifolds on new boats but not on old boats which just have brass plugs?

Do both manifolds not have feeds on the front from the water pump?Yeh, I see no reason why the manifolds have to be connected. IMHO that hose is just there to make it easier to drain them.

Jesus_Freak
11-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Water has to circulate from one exhaust manifold to the other via this hose.....

Is this correct? On my '94 205 I added something like this only to assist in draining. There were simply NPT plugs in each manifold before. In '99 someone designed the cooling system to require exchange between either side of the engine????

EDIT: Now I see these other posts; I guess not.