PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Weekend - Lake LBJ - Kingsland,TX

Scot
05-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Anyone out there going to Lake LBJ Memorial Weekend?

martini
05-05-2005, 12:04 PM
There is a distinct possibility that I will be out there that weekend, my uncle has a lakehouse on LBJ, around Granite Shoals. Good times.

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi, Scot. Unfortunately, we'll be in Galveston that weekend. We typically have a reunion at my wife's Uncle's place on the Llano river arm of LBJ, but with a baby due in August, that reunion may be closer to home this year.

Grew up skiing on that lake. Actually learned on that lake. Have fun.

tex
05-05-2005, 12:52 PM
We will be at Lake Granbury. Nice handles Doug-Where are the gloves?

dmac
05-05-2005, 01:31 PM
We will be at Lake Granbury. Nice handles Doug-Where are the gloves?I grew up with dual handles too. In fact, we had one line where the handle could be single or split.

We have a small slice of land out at Granbury. Need to go back and check on it sometime.

Scot
05-05-2005, 01:45 PM
My buddy has a house off the Colorado arm in a channel...we'll be the ones pulling the parasail up (down) the llano.... I'll be in my 86 190 (white with no decals, except for the MC logo, blue bimini)... but if you see a canary yellow Crown Line... that's us too.... for a crusier... that is an awesome ride... That's what we take for the long rides up towards the damn....

Scot
05-05-2005, 01:50 PM
I grew up with dual handles too. In fact, we had one line where the handle could be single or split.

We have a small slice of land out at Granbury. Need to go back and check on it sometime.

Why wait! check it out now!
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=granbury,+tx&spn=0.158272,0.246162&t=k&hl=en

tex
05-05-2005, 02:07 PM
I grew up with dual handles too. In fact, we had one line where the handle could be single or split.

I had the same handle! Is your land on the water?

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 02:15 PM
My buddy has a house off the Colorado arm in a channel...we'll be the ones pulling the parasail up (down) the llano.... I'll be in my 86 190 (white with no decals, except for the MC logo, blue bimini)... but if you see a canary yellow Crown Line... that's us too.... for a crusier... that is an awesome ride... That's what we take for the long rides up towards the damn....

Be careful on the Llano arm. After a certain point, it's nothing but invisible boulders. That point isn't too far down the river after you go under the bridge. I know plenty of people who've ruined their day on them. Have fun and be safe!

/edit. I wouldn't go much further than this point on the Llano.

Llano River Boulders (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kingsland,+tx&ll=30.642328,-98.467562&spn=0.009720,0.013883&t=k&hl=en)

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 02:16 PM
We will be at Lake Granbury. Nice handles Doug-Where are the gloves?

Didn't think I needed them. Wasn't used to actually getting up on 1 ski at that point.

Scot
05-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Be careful on the Llano arm. After a certain point, it's nothing but invisible boulders. That point isn't too far down the river after you go under the bridge. I know plenty of people who've ruined their day on them. Have fun and be safe!

/edit. I wouldn't go much further than this point on the Llano.

Llano River Boulders (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kingsland,+tx&ll=30.642328,-98.467562&spn=0.009720,0.013883&t=k&hl=en)

Obviously great advice... this link is where we normally hang out in the day.... Although I've never seen the invisable boulders... nor have I wanked my prop on one.... could you re-position the google map over the areas you think have the hazards?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kingsland,+tx&ll=30.641835,-98.474182&spn=0.004946,0.007693&t=k&hl=en

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 02:44 PM
I've sent it to my brother-in-law for a second opinion. There are many underwater obstacles. The one one of my relatives hit several years ago was close to the south bank of the river.

If you see those two sand bars (or flat rocks) (actually more than two upon a second glance) on the north bank, that's usually our fail safe point where we turn around if memory serves. You could probably cruise a bit further down and not hit anything. But after hearing about the repair bill on my uncle's boat, I wouldn't take my boat any farther down.

This is where I remember it being ("x"). The line is our turn around point as a result. I'll update it if I'm too far off.

Have they raised the water level back up on LBJ yet? We were there in January and they'd lowered it to let people clean up around their docks. I mean waaaaay low.

Scot
05-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks...

the lake level is back up to normal.... I didn't get a chance to go when it was lowered... I wanted to bring my 4-wheeler and dirt bikes out to learn where some of these hazards are , ( and just to blast around) but never made it....

tex
05-05-2005, 03:05 PM
You will know when you get there. We tried to idle through them last year. It is impossible. Great area.

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Yeah, see thread about the depth alarm I have hooked up to my prop.

André
05-05-2005, 07:18 PM
For the "Olds" members...
Isn't LBJ where's LeeC use to run a marina ?

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Yes. But he's in New Braunfels now. If memory serves, he was somewhere across the lake from Blue Lake Estates.

tex
05-24-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm heading to Granbury on Saturday morning. I will be there most of the weekend. Anyone else from the Metroplex heading that way?

jayocheskey
05-24-2005, 01:33 PM
I'll be at Lake Travis with (at least it seems like) the rest of the world. But I guess it's like that everywhere this weekend.

east tx skier
05-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Where on Travis?

martini
05-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Jayoch,

Heading to Devil's cove are you! Be sure and take lots and lots of pictures! It will be very busy and of course lake idiots everywhere, so be careful. I will go out to that area, but probably on the Perdernales, via Pale Face. The water out there is much calmer and traffic is not as bad. And, if we are feeling saucy, it will only be a 30-45min boat ride over to Travis and Devil's Cove. We'll see how crazy the wife's feeling.

east tx skier
05-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Mmmm, I love the Pedernales. Yet another good piece of information I picked up on this board. Thanks, JR.