PDA

View Full Version : brakes on trailer lock up

aaronmay21
10-29-2008, 04:25 AM
My brakes on my trailer for my x2 keep locking up im pretty sure the draw bar isn't coming out if i brake and take off again. Is there a certain way or place i should be lubericating the draw bar?

bturner2
10-29-2008, 08:32 AM
You don't say what year your X2 is but the early disc brake trailers were known for bad calipers that stick. There are several threads that discuss this problem and ways to get the calipers replaced from Reliable if you indeed have a set of the known bad parts. If your brake actuator isn't moving when you pull forward with 4000 lbs. of boat on the trailer you have a real problem on your hands. I doubt this is the case unless there is something really wrong with the actuator.

TMCNo1
10-29-2008, 09:02 AM
You don't say what year your X2 is but the early disc brake trailers were known for bad calipers that stick. There are several threads that discuss this problem and ways to get the calipers replaced from Reliable if you indeed have a set of the known bad parts. If your brake actuator isn't moving when you pull forward with 4000 lbs. of boat on the trailer you have a real problem on your hands. I doubt this is the case unless there is something really wrong with the actuator.

Profile shows '07. The sticking caliper problems were around '04 and '05 IIRC.

With the trailer loose from the tow vehicle, push and pull on the actuator and see if it's moving. First, check the brake fluid level. If it pumps up after a couple pulls and pushes then there is probably enough fluid and the calipers may be sticking. Another thing to check is the action of the actuator, if it takes some effort to move it, the shock absorber inside should be OK, but if it moves with little or no effort, forward and back, the shock inside the actuator may be bad.

jkski
10-29-2008, 09:11 AM
A couple of things to check (you have probably already done this):
1) Make sure you have fluid in the resevoir.
2) On the head of the unit, by the coupler, there should be a hole that you could place a steel pin through that will in essence prevent the head from moving back and forth, not the hole where the safety pin goes, but one a little further back. Make sure that it is not blocked in some way.

ORX-1
10-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I had the same issue and my dealer knew a trick and I guess there was a release under the area where the ball goes for lack of knowing the correct term. He pressed that and it released everything. haven't had any issues since.

Maybe ask your dealer.