PDA

View Full Version : What is this wire for???

fentong
10-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Hello, I have a 2001 Maristar 230 VRS I just bought this summer. I noticed that there is an orange wire exposed which comes out of the main electrical connector to the engine. The orange wie seems to have a connector of some sort on the end but i have no idea what this wire is for or whether it's a hazzard to have dangling around unprotected. Yeah I can use a tie strap and insulate with electrical tape but I wanted to know if this serves some purpose before I do the nip and tuck procedure. Please advise. Regards, See picture...

JimN
10-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Look for a black plastic plug that has a gray cover snapped onto it. It should have a black/white, a white/black, brown and a couple of other wires. It may have been yanked out of that, especially if it has a black tracer on it.

prostar205
10-29-2008, 01:48 AM
That looks like the female connector pin that goes into a Weatherpack connector - same connectors they use on the tower speaker wires.

JimN
10-29-2008, 03:49 AM
It's a Weatherpack terminal but now that I see the black stripe, I definitely think it came out of the DLC (Data Link Connector). There's no reason for a speaker wire to A) Be orange and B) Be at the rear of the motor.

fentong
10-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Jim, I took a look at the DLC and I can't see where it might have come from. Any connection that doesn't have a wire has a little plastic extrusion in it. I could definitely be wrong here but that's my first impression. I meant to take a picture today to show you. I spent the day waxing the boat in prep for storage and I just finished up and forgot to take a picture before covering it up. I can get a picture tomorrow. Too many goblins at the door tonight. Does anyone have access to a Mastercraft wiring diagram for this boat?

JimN
11-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Jim, I took a look at the DLC and I can't see where it might have come from. Any connection that doesn't have a wire has a little plastic extrusion in it. I could definitely be wrong here but that's my first impression. I meant to take a picture today to show you. I spent the day waxing the boat in prep for storage and I just finished up and forgot to take a picture before covering it up. I can get a picture tomorrow. Too many goblins at the door tonight. Does anyone have access to a Mastercraft wiring diagram for this boat?

If there's no orange wire in the DLC, that's where it came from. You would need to remove the wire retainer to see if it's missing one. I do remember a two wire plug with a cap that was hanging separately on some boats, but I don't know if yours would have this.

fentong
11-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Jim, here's the picture of the DLC. I see there is an orange wire on top and all of the other positions are wired or plugged.

JimN
11-02-2008, 10:54 AM
OK, that's full. I would recommend contacting Indmar, directly. Can you reveal more of the harness the orange/black wire came from? Are any plug covers hanging loose in the area?

fentong
11-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Jim, great suggestion to contact Indmar, I was thinking I had to go to a MC dealer. I'll try Indmar first. No there don't appear to be any other plugs hanging in the general area where this may have come from. I'll let you know how Indmar replies.

fentong
11-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Here is the response from Indmar:

The orange wire with a black stripe in your photo it’s the serial data wire. It probably came from the data link connector which is the connector that a dealer would use to attach a scan tool to read data from the ECM. It is not going to have any affect on how the engine operates if this wire is not connected to anything. I have included a wiring diagram that shows the Data Link Connector (DLC) and where in the plug the orange/black wire goes.

I hate to seem ungreatful but this response is not very helpful. The wiring diagram provided by Indmar as part of their response shows no Orange/Black wire entering the DLC at all.

flyingskibiker
11-19-2008, 02:19 AM
maybe they didn't notice the black stripe??? :confused: there are orange (ORN) wires coming and going from the DLC connector (diag. connector).

FrankSchwab
11-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Not to mention that the diagram shows five wires going into the connector, and you're picture shows, I believe, 7.