PDA

View Full Version : drain plug on a prostar 209

Gamble
10-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Guys, do most of you leave the drain plug in when storing your boat? The only plug in this model is in the engine compartment and is a pain in the arse to get to. I'm wonderin if I could leave it in permanently, unless I have some water to drain out. Thoughts??

TMCNo1
10-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Guys, do most of you leave the drain plug in when storing your boat? The only plug in this model is in the engine compartment and is a pain in the arse to get to. I'm wonderin if I could leave it in permanently, unless I have some water to drain out. Thoughts??

Leave it out and place a wad of aluminum screen in the hole to keep the rodents out and still let water out!

JimN
10-28-2008, 10:33 PM
TAKE IT OUT! Use copper or brass screen. Aluminum will cause a galvanic reaction and corrode the Al and bronze.

flipper
10-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Leave mine out

loeweb
10-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Leave it out.

russlars
10-29-2008, 02:19 AM
Once any water has drained out of my bilge I put mine back in since it is stored inside. Just one less thing to have to remember when launching. And yes, I have forgotten to put my plug in when launching. Seeing the lake come up to meet you from your bilge is the same kind of feeling you get when you see those flashing lights coming up behind you on the freeway!:shocked:

JimN
10-29-2008, 04:51 AM
If a bag with all of the removed plugs and other parts is tied to the steering wheel or throttle, it's hard to forget to re-install it. Sure beats a flooded boat if something unforseen happens, too.

Gamble
10-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm in the same boat as russlars.........it's stored inside.......but Jim what you said makes sense........if it were to come a good rain and I had a water leak in the roof.......that'd make for a mess!! Best thing to do is leave it out and not worry about it. thanks for the help guys.

88 PS190
10-29-2008, 12:43 PM
out, then it goes into the drawer in the house w/ the keys, I zip tie keys to the plug, that boat goes nowhere w/o the key...

I have a bit of old plastic coated screen to tuck in it too.