PDA

View Full Version : How would you change your 190/197

wannabeshortline
10-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey all, in the market for a ski boat and really like the look and reputation the mastercraft 197 has. If you could change any one thing about the boat what would it me. Does everyone like the trunk? and the way it hinges to the sides or would it be better to hinge at the front or back, how bout the rear seat, do you really use it all that much. I also dont know if i like how the walk thru area to the bow is raised, is that a problem? What about handling and performance, how does this boat measure up and what all would you change about the boats design. After owning it do you wish you would have chosen another brand?

Lets hear what everyone has to say about this boat.

Thanks

Skipper
10-28-2008, 11:00 AM
I own a '95 190 but spend 50% of my time skiing behind my buddies '03 197. The trunk in the back is very convenient for storage, but we ski a tiny lake from the dock, so it is not something we rely upon. It is easy enough to walk through to the bow. Plus, you can still comfortably seat two on the observers seat. The boat handles very well through the course. It is an excellent ski boat. The hole shot is quick and the wake is flat and gentle.

My '95 Prostar is sweet too. I don't have a rear storage locker, but again, we ski from the dock so it is a non-issue. It does not handle as rigidly as the 197, but the hole shot and wake are great.

I would not change anything on the 197. It would be nice to have a ski locker on my 190. On lakes where you are not the only boat you have to learn to be careful about how low the bow rides on the 197 at idle speed, especially when turning to pick up a skier.

Either way, these are excellent ski boats. You really can't go wrong with one.

Sodar
10-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Hey all, in the market for a ski boat and really like the look and reputation the mastercraft 197 has. If you could change any one thing about the boat what would it be.

Does everyone like the trunk? and the way it hinges to the sides or would it be better to hinge at the front or back?

I like the way the trunk hinges. To me, this has been the best added feature. Only wish I could imagine would be to eliminate the fuel tank, so it was deeper. :D

how bout the rear seat, do you really use it all that much.

Rear seat gets used when ever I have more than 2 people in the boat. The seat back is a little low, because of the boat's low profile, so in an ideal world, if the back was higher, it would make it that much more comfortable for passengers.

I also dont know if i like how the walk thru area to the bow is raised, is that a problem?

I like the way the floor is raised for the added cooler and extra storage space. Also allows for the observer seat to extend to the driver's seat.

What about handling and performance, how does this boat measure up and what all would you change about the boats design.

I wish the bow did not sit so low. If you put people up front and not in the back, they will get wet. All other handling characteristics are better than any late model open bow ski boat I have driven.

After owning it do you wish you would have chosen another brand?

You have got to be kidding, right!?!?! If the 214 had a traditional layout, I would look into it, but I hate the layout they gave it.

Thanks

See Above.

Witness140
10-28-2008, 01:54 PM
I regularly ski and drive the following : 05' Malibu LX, 04' CC 206, 08' 197 TT

I've owned both the 06' and 07' 197 TT boats.

197 is the best handling boat in the group - by a wide margin.

Trunk is awesome, hinging to the side is the best way to go. The bu' hingline is along the backseat. Not as friendly to work with. I would find a way to make the locker deeper as well.

Backseat is great. I love the sunpad feature. We used it whenever we weren't doing a pure slalom session. 206 has a permanent shelf there under it's back cusions because that is where gas tank is.

I like the front cooler. I would redesign it so that it had a removable liner that you could carry to the fridge for filling.

I don't like the bow being easy to dunk - but I don't like how ugly imho the 206 or LXI are with their whale bows that don't dunk.

The things I would change about the boat would be for family convenience, and would push the boat more towards the 206 in performance - because they would require dimensional changes. (giving us a true walkthrough for example) Tournament ski boats are designed to meet a mission.

IMHO - Mastercraft made the best decisions in this area to give us a competition calibre tournament ski boat with room for the family to come along later in the day.

I have never regretted my decision to go with the 197. It was up against a 206, 196, or an LXI.

jkski
10-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I have owned 2 CC's and now am on my third 197 and would never go back. The 197 is the best all around boat with great room and storage, especially in a 19 foot package.
You won't regret it if you go with a 197.

corey
10-28-2008, 04:23 PM
My wife and I spent a good amount of time in a 2001 ProStar 190. We used it for skiing, wakeboarding and surfing. Only additions we made were a Fly High extended pylon and 3 ballast bags.

Overall I wouldnt change the trunk or the rear seat at all. Trunk works flawlessly for ski, ropes, vests, binding slime etc. Wouldnt change the rear seat either, we put it "up" when wakeboarding so a full size fat sac would sit under it.

Well we didnt have the walk through with the cooler though it would have been pretty nice. The closed bow was very useful though, tons of storage and never had to look at the back of someones head while driving.

Handling was truly awesome, taught both my wife and good buddy to drive with this boat. It is quick and nimble, easy to hold a straight line. We did not have perfect pass but neither had a problem holding ski, wake or surf speeds.

Only complaint I had with the boat was the location of the blower vents. They are pretty low (below the rub rail) and you can get water in them when you stop the boat while surfing. Nothing major, bilge pump kicks it out but in my quest to keep the boat as dry as possible this would be nice.

corey
10-28-2008, 04:32 PM
I should note the only comparable boat I've spent a good amount of time in is a 1998 Response LX. Good boat but I would take the 190 over it in a heart beat. The 190 feels much more solid in construction and the LX didnt have a trunk. My wife liked driving the 190 better too, so that was kind of what sealed the deal.

mclovin
10-28-2008, 04:40 PM
the trunk on the 197 is very usable & spacious. very nice boat all around, friend has a x7 & loves it! the 197 has better usable storage than my 214(what storage?)

JohnE
10-28-2008, 04:51 PM
If I were buying a boat for just slalom, it would be the closed bow 190. Aside from that thought, I agree with everything Sodar posted. Except I love the layout on the 214 which is what I now have. I had an '05 197.

jraben8
10-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Does everyone like the trunk? and the way it hinges to the sides or would it be better to hinge at the front or back?

I didn't own a 197 but I had a rear trunk that hinged at the front. I wish it would have at the sides. It's next to impossible to get anything out of it from inside the boat is hinged at the front.
how bout the rear seat, do you really use it all that much.

All of the time.
I also dont know if i like how the walk thru area to the bow is raised, is that a problem?

I like the way the floor is raised for an out of the way space for a tubed sub-woofer. Also allows for the observer seat to extend to the driver's seat.

What about handling and performance, how does this boat measure up and what all would you change about the boats design.

The low bow is the only thing to watch for.

Justjoe
10-28-2008, 05:02 PM
The 197 is an awesome boat. I just bought an x2 (to surf) and have the 197 for sale, but in a perfect world would keep it to ski and drive. The low bow is a minor issue, but as others have mentioned, it LOOKS better this way. Thoughtful driving keeps everything pretty dry anyways.

The cooler in the walk through is AWESOME. The X2 has the integrated-carry out cooler, but is a pain to get to when people are on the boat as they will inevitably be sitting on that seat (as it opposes the driver and is set up as a lounge). So, in order to get that half a tuna salad sandwich in the plastic baggy that's been somewhat crushed by the watermelon (and I wish I had used a ziplock because its just a little wet, but only on this one edge) you have to go through the following steps:

-Stop the boat (or at least get it moving in a clear direction)
-Yell for "What's your face" to get up a second
-Wander over and pop the cushion off the top
-Move the cushion to another seat (where "whats your face is sitting (COME ON...GET UP)
-Set it upside down (top to top) so that the metal bracket doesn't damage anything making sure that said metal bracket is facing OUT not poking into the seat back.
-open the cooler top to view your delicacies
-dig through the freezing cold water (which cleverly drains into the hull in the 197)
-find your food
-put your snack aside to close the lid
-replace the seat cushion which will inevitably scrape the back of the seat (just a "tiny" bit)
-Tell "what's your face" that they can come on back while bragging about how you carried the cooler from the house (a single event) to go through this process a million times today
-rush back to the steering wheel before you hit something

The 197 cooler is in a position that you can even grab a cool one while driving without getting out of the seat. As so:

-Look over to your passenger with a clear air of confidence and bravado
-say "hey babe, can I get you a beer?" while opening the little door to your left
-Flip up the hinged access door/back rest on your side exposing clean clear ice and tasty beverages
-draw out two frosty cans (no bottles in the boat, your on the water) and close the top
-handing one over, place the other between your thighs (your man enough)
-push the door closed, and pat the seat next to you
she slides over, the world is good.

Fletchx7
10-28-2008, 05:26 PM
The 197 cooler is in a position that you can even grab a cool one while driving without getting out of the seat. As so:

-Look over to your passenger with a clear air of confidence and bravado
-say "hey babe, can I get you a beer?" while opening the little door to your left
-Flip up the hinged access door/back rest on your side exposing clean clear ice and tasty beverages
-draw out two frosty cans (no bottles in the boat, your on the water) and close the top
-handing one over, place the other between your thighs (your man enough)
-push the door closed, and pat the seat next to you
she slides over, the world is good.[/QUOTE]

That's funny, but so true. :D

I always have both coolers loaded (one in the floor for waters/food and the walkthru cooler full of other beverages). Gives you a couple of options.

I have to second everything that has already been mentioned. There are always pros and cons, but IMO it is a great boat!

ncsone
10-28-2008, 05:31 PM
I have an 05 197TT and absolutely love it. The rear locker gets used all of the time and keeps a lot of the wet gloves, vests, etc. from making it into the boat. We also love the rear seat/sunpad. That has been used a lot more than I thought it would. As for the walk-through cooler, I think it is a miss. It is hot in the summer here in TX and that cooler won't keep ice solid for more than 1 hour. We used it once this year and gave up. However, a Igloo marine cooler fits under the obs seat nicely.

I don't mind the low bow. I have had a couple of Supra Comp's in my past so I am very used to a low bow. I think it makes it look like a sports car on the water. Speaking of sports cars, the 197 drives like a Porsche - great acceleration, great handling and a great sound!

The only change I can think of right now would be to expand the gas tank to the full width of the boat - as it is now, it is like 6-8 short. That way, they could increase the capacity or lower the top of the tank and keep the same capacity. It would be nice to have a little bit more room in the rear locker. Oh yeah, I would also like a fuel pump that would allow me to run the tank down to (or below) the 1/4 tank level without having to worry about burning it up.

It is though, by any measure, a great boat.

Sodar
10-28-2008, 05:40 PM
The only change I can think of right now would be to expand the gas tank to the full width of the boat - as it is now, it is like 6-8 short. That way, they could increase the capacity or lower the top of the tank and keep the same capacity. It would be nice to have a little bit more room in the rear locker. Oh yeah, I would also like a fuel pump that would allow me to run the tank down to (or below) the 1/4 tank level without having to worry about burning it up.

Exactly! That would be the ideal solution. Even contour it a bit more to the bilge and hull to allow for ever inch of the space to be used and lower the floor in the trunk so the skis could be left bindings up!

2RLAKE
10-28-2008, 05:43 PM
my wife and i love the trunk and ......

JohnE
10-28-2008, 06:49 PM
As for the walk-through cooler, I think it is a miss. It is hot in the summer here in TX and that cooler won't keep ice solid for more than 1 hour. We used it once this year and gave up. However, a Igloo marine cooler fits under the obs seat nicely.

I always preferred to just bring a separate cooler, too. But the walk through cooler makes a nice storage box for sunscreen, etc.

wannabeshortline
10-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Would a lock on the rear truck be benficial? I like leaving my stuff in the boat as much as possible and having a lock might be nice. How about that floor cooler thing, does anyone use it for anything? I drive my buddys on an occasion and the seat slide seams a little cheap, and the seat doesnt swivel either. I've looked at the 214 and like the size and all but not sure of a few things, like the fiberglass floor, would a fiberglass floor be nice or not? How about the floor locker in the bow area. If the 197 were to have a ski locker in the bow then there would be a ton more storage but the cooler everyone seams to love would have to go. So what would you perfer, more storage or walk thru cooler? I also noticed the 214 has a hinged walk thru door, does anyone wish they had a door rather than a curtain? I also like how malibu has lumbar support in some of their seats, wouldnt that be nice too? and a little more room between the drivers seat and the motor box would be nice for me, since im tall the seat is most of the way back, and it would be nice if you could squeeze behind the drivers seat a little easier like the old 209 was....speaking of the 209 what kind of stuff in that boat would have been nice in the 197?

Sodar
10-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Just go out and build a custom ski boat...

03 35th Anniversary
10-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I like the cooler in the front!!! When I dip the nose it keeps me from getting wet!!!!!!

dsoby
10-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Wannabeshortline, all of those things would be nice but the 197 is a sub 20' competition ski boat. It does what it is designed to do very well. A floor ski locker, more room behind the driver's seat and other changes such as walk through bow while still having enough room for two folks in the observers seat would require a larger boat.

ncsone
10-29-2008, 11:42 AM
I like the cooler in the front!!! When I dip the nose it keeps me from getting wet!!!!!!
That is true. We lost a blade off of our prop this summer and had to idle 8 miles back across a large and busy lake with lots of BIG boats on the water. We took water over the bow more times than I can count. That cooler did it job, though. It kept the water in the bow and not on me. haha. For some reason, it would the drain in the floor of the bow sealed to the bow carpet and would not drain. We joked that we had a mini swimming pool up front as the water pooled up the the cushions...

Ben
10-29-2008, 11:44 AM
If you are buying a $xx thousand dollar SKI boat, I'd hope you are focusing your decision on more than a small cooler, which seems to be half the focus here.

Having said that, the thing I like best about the 197 is the observer seat can fit 2 adults comforatably. My 205 has a full walk thru, and cannot do that. So if you have 4 dudes skiing, it's not good. On the flip side, we have 2 small kids that like being able to have more walk around room. Not to give a bad impression, but we're also on a lake, so the cooler is the least of my concerns.

I think you should share more of how you'd use the boat and other info like that to get some good feedback. By your username, I'd guess your are in it to slalom as a main priority.... Are you on a lake or trailering? Are you intending to be out all day, or for a few quick sets? Stuff like that.

wannabeshortline
10-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Thats a great idea, build a custom ski boat; me personally am an active skier and will use the boat for that main purpose, but I also want a family friendly boat for tubing, wakeboarding, and just running around in. I really like some of the features of the old 209 but in my opinion it skied terribly and handled just as bad. The 214 i've heard skies really really well for being a much larger and heavier boat, but I think i really want/need it to have a trunk and also the larger sundeck. Not to sure about the fiberglass floor either, kinda makes it harder to work on, since the 197 box and rear floor come out in a matter of seconds, and without tools......I love the idea of "build yourself a custom boat" so maybe we should change the title to "What features would the ultimate 197 have".

Lets see what everyone has to say, if needed I could start a new topic, so if you could modify your existing 197 or any slalom boat for that matter what would you do to it???

Me personally would want a much deeper trunk, taller bow to prevent dunking the boat, lockable storage, smaller motor box so you could possible squeeze behind it to enter or exit the drivers seat, I would also want a little more top end speed, my buddys 197 has the mcx and only runs 43 with two people, 45 to 47 would be nice, maybe not necessary but it would be nice to have a slalom boat that smokes all other slalom boats on the lake. Oh and i would also have a mini tower. I think i would also want a storage organizer on the underside of the trunk, where when you opened the trunk your gloves, rope, soap, handle would all be right there, dry and ready to use.

dsoby
10-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Asking for quite a bit there. I have an X7 and love it. Great ski boat, OK wakeboard boat. Haven't quite figured out how to surf without a rope yet. You could reprop your boat to get a little more top end but you would do it at the expense of holeshot. My boat will do 47 with stock prop but we never use it over 40. The 197/X7 IMHO is the perfect boat for a core skier on a small or private lake. I would not feel comfortable taking it out on a large, crowded lake because of it's low freeboard.

OhioX14
10-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Cameron had it 100% correct. If you're going to be that picky then I suggest you find someone to build you a custom boat. I personally haven't found a ski boat yet that doesn't involve some compromise. Even my X14, which is the best boat I've ever owned, lacks in some areas but each one of those is so low on the priority list that I've learned to live with them. The bottom line for most of us who own a tournament quality inboard is what we get while we're on the other end of the rope. The rest of gets evaluated in order of importance.

tex
10-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Turn it into an X-2.

ProTour X9
10-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Not 197 specific but I wish the whole back seat could come out instead of just the bottom...

ncsone
10-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Speaking of the X2, has anyone pictured a Prostar 197 with a pickle fork bow in their head???

ProTour X9
10-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Speaking of the X2, has anyone pictured a Prostar 197 with a pickle fork bow in their head???

There is a 190 posted before.....

TMCNo1
10-29-2008, 04:41 PM
There is a 190 posted before.....

I think I just got sick!

Ski-me
10-29-2008, 04:48 PM
I think I just got sick!

Me too!!:(

ncsone
10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Not saying I like it, just saying that is the way that MC seems to be going with all of their boats.

03 35th Anniversary
10-29-2008, 05:12 PM
As soon as they come out with the pickle fork 197. I am taking my boat to the deepest lake I can find and shooting holes in the bottom of it so I can collect the INS. money. Then I can be the first person to own one.....

Andrť
10-29-2008, 06:52 PM
I would like a grab ring for the rear locker panels.PITA to open on my friend's 06 197...
And maybe a fuel pump that would last longer...:rolleyes:

boatnut
10-29-2008, 07:14 PM
I own an 05 197 and love it. The comment about the bow being easy to dunk is true. If you are going to use it on any big water that can be an issue. You just need to be more aware of your speed relative to wakes or waves. Having said that I agree with the other posts and would buy an MC again.

shepherd
10-29-2008, 07:49 PM
I'd like to see them replace the floor cooler with a dc-powered kegerator, and put a beer tap in the ski pylon.

Sodar
10-29-2008, 08:00 PM
While they are at it, how about a stripper pole in the center, lose the motor completely to allow more room in the center of the boat, a dance stage on the tower, a spa in the bow and a massaging drivers set.

WannaBeShortline, you might want to keep working on your skiing, because you concept of reality and boat design are a bit off.

SchuyHigh
10-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Just buy the 197 and enjoy!

Owned a 91 PS190 , 97 Supra , and currently 06 197.

Shopped extremely hard before this purchase and would not change a thing.

Nobody is perfect(including MC), but nobody is close to MC.

flipper
10-29-2008, 10:29 PM
While they are at it, how about a stripper pole in the center, lose the motor completely to allow more room in the center of the boat, a dance stage on the tower, a spa in the bow and a massaging drivers set.

WannaBeShortline, you might want to keep working on your skiing, because you concept of reality and boat design are a bit off.

I found out that a tower pole can double as a stripper pole. I wish I had pics to share...it was great:D

Witness140
10-29-2008, 10:35 PM
How about that floor cooler thing, does anyone use it for anything?

Empties.

Trash.

Shoes.

JohnE
10-30-2008, 08:19 AM
If you are buying a $xx thousand dollar SKI boat, I'd hope you are focusing your decision on more than a small cooler, which seems to be half the focus here.

I think it speaks volumes about the boat that with the title of this thread, all we can seem to discuss is the walk-through cooler.

Sodar
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Coolers are cool.

JerryS
10-30-2008, 09:58 AM
I'll make you a great deal on a nice 2007 197 - and I'll throw in a cooler full of your favorite beverage on ice!

http://picasaweb.google.com/mach83/2007Mastercraft197TournamentTeam#

:)

Jerry

flipper
10-30-2008, 10:41 AM
New boats suck......coolers are cool......heaters are hot

wannabeshortline
10-30-2008, 11:08 AM
wow, tough crowd....I like the 197, and right now its my boat of choice...I guess i was just curious to see where everyone thought the boat could use improvements...you know dream a little bit, its ok to do that occasionally. I mean I thought my name said it all "wannabeshortline" actually describes what I have been seeking for years and actually I thought most guys running 28 off or better were continually thinking of ways their equipment could shorten the line. How cool would it be to have a ski boat without a wake just a soft flat roster....now thatís a dream. I mean seriously donít you guys look for the newest ski that will help you get that next buoy, so why not discuss what we all think the boat needs to help us get there or is the boat absolutely perfect as it is. Iím just a skier with a dream.

Chicago190
10-30-2008, 01:26 PM
wow, tough crowd....I like the 197, and right now its my boat of choice...I guess i was just curious to see where everyone thought the boat could use improvements...you know dream a little bit, its ok to do that occasionally. I mean I thought my name said it all "wannabeshortline" actually describes what I have been seeking for years and actually I thought most guys running 28 off or better were continually thinking of ways their equipment could shorten the line. How cool would it be to have a ski boat without a wake just a soft flat roster....now thatís a dream. I mean seriously donít you guys look for the newest ski that will help you get that next buoy, so why not discuss what we all think the boat needs to help us get there or is the boat absolutely perfect as it is. Iím just a skier with a dream.

Well, in all fairness, your concerns were with the ski locker and bow walk through...

TMCNo1
10-30-2008, 01:48 PM
I think they need to do away with the upholstery bump/pimple/mole/bulge behind the navigation light, whatever it is in the 197 bow and in most if not all the open bow boats. What's it for anyway?

Fletchx7
10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
I think they need to do away with the upholstery bump/pimple/mole/bulge behind the navigation light, whatever it is in the 197 bow and in most if not all the open bow boats. What's it for anyway?

It's a good head rest for late morning naps!!

Bilge Water
10-30-2008, 01:59 PM
How much is asking?

Sodar
10-30-2008, 02:12 PM

I get a black bump on the back of my boat, every once in a while. It seems to only come out when it is hot and sunny though...

flipper
10-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Do all 197's come with that Sodar? I gotta get me a 197

Sodar
10-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Do all 197's come with that Sodar? I gotta get me a 197

You really do not want a 197. The cooler is all wrong, the driver's seat is too close to the engine hatch and there is not in floor ski locker. It's just all wrong. :rolleyes:

flipper
10-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Well, you think I could get that black bump on a 190?

Sodar
10-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Well, you think I could get that black bump on a 190?

Maybe, but you won't get the cooler....

flipper
10-30-2008, 02:39 PM
That's okay, the cooler is all messed up. I'm going to have a custom built one made. It will become the floor of my ski locker. Kill two birds with one stone

JerryS
10-30-2008, 08:49 PM

When the dunk happens, that cushion deflects the initial rush of water upwards, to direct it directly into floor well. :)

I thought most guys running 28 off or better were continually thinking of ways their equipment could shorten the line. How cool would it be to have a ski boat without a wake just a soft flat roster....now thatís a dream.

I couldn't think of anything I'd change behind this boat at lengths shorter than 28. 15 and 22 we can certainly talk about a tail bump, especially with a full tank and slower speeds. Off the dock at 22/36 isnt bad. 28-35 isnt even a consideration. I've no clue shorter than 35. I think the new software versions of ZO will certainly be an improvement over what we had this summer. But thats all in the speed control threads. I'm just glad MC decided to put ZO and SG in all the 08' TT boats.

Jerry

georgea0731
10-30-2008, 09:13 PM
I read something about it on Bennett's ski school website, but can't find it now. It's suppose to be AWSA & 3 event approved. I didn't see any pictures or info., but I did read about it.

We've had an 98 190, 04 X7 & now 03 197, it's the best of both worlds. I agree, make the storage area deeper for ski's with large bindings. If you can get the skis out of the walk ways, it would seem like a much wider boat. If you want the storage of a 190, put a tonneau cover up front (which can be removed as needed) and store more stuff up there.

Not sure why you want a higher top speed for a ski boat? If so get one with the Northstar engine. I like to cruise slow and check out the babes. It's great for driving the course and getting the skier up and down the course. The only thing I dislike about the 197 design is the ugly handles up front that ruin the smooth lines from the side. They should be down lower like on the other MC boats. The cooler is a small consideration, but I'd make it so you could pull out a cooler and carry to and from the house loaded.

IMO, I hope MC is listening for the next generation ski boat! MC is the best ski boat out there, bar none!

shepherd
10-30-2008, 09:21 PM
I thought most guys running 28 off or better were continually thinking of ways their equipment could shorten the line. How cool would it be to have a ski boat without a wake just a soft flat roster....now thatís a dream.

Not that I've been there (much), but I understand that the wake is not even an issue when you get into 32+ off...

I get a black bump on the back of my boat, every once in a while. It seems to only come out when it is hot and sunny though...

Remove the black part of that bump, and I think the boat would be improved... :smile:

georgea0731
10-30-2008, 09:24 PM
News Friday, 24 October 2008 19:51 MasterCraft Reinvents The Slalom Boat!

MasterCraft has been leading the industry in ski and wakeboard technologies for 41 years now and their lead is increasing over time. In yet another industry first MasterCraft has created the worlds first World Record Capable V-Drive for slalom and three event skiers. The all new MasterCraft ProStar 214V is the only V-Drive to meet every test the AWSA through at it and the only one to be USA-WS Approved.

http://bennetts.mastercraft.com/boat_graphics/nwp_images/212235-2.jpg (http://bennetts.mastercraft.com/boat_graphics/nwp_images/212235-2.jpg)The all new ProStar 214V proves once again that they are dedicated to the waterski, wakeboard, ski jump, and trick ski community. Slalom skiers have long craved a boat that could rival the seating and storage of their wakeboard brethren and the 214V does just that. In addition to being the largest, most spacious AWSA Approved tow boat the 214 has the buttery soft and deliciously small wakes you've come to love from the already World Record Capable ProStar 190, 197 and 214.
Taking the 214V one step farther we would also like to introduce the X-14V. The X-14V boasts the same incredible ski, trick and jump wakes as the 214V but adds a Wakeboard Tower, Ballast System, Board Racks and a Subwoofer making it the worlds best family boat.

TMCNo1
10-30-2008, 09:43 PM
News Friday, 24 October 2008 19:51 MasterCraft Reinvents The Slalom Boat!

MasterCraft has been leading the industry in ski and wakeboard technologies for 41 years now and their lead is increasing over time. In yet another industry first MasterCraft has created the worlds first World Record Capable V-Drive for slalom and three event skiers. The all new MasterCraft ProStar 214V is the only V-Drive to meet every test the AWSA threw at it and the only one to be USA-WS Approved.

http://bennetts.mastercraft.com/boat_graphics/nwp_images/212235-2.jpg (http://bennetts.mastercraft.com/boat_graphics/nwp_images/212235-2.jpg)The all new ProStar 214V proves once again that they are dedicated to the waterski, wakeboard, ski jump, and trick ski community. Slalom skiers have long craved a boat that could rival the seating and storage of their wakeboard brethren and the 214V does just that. In addition to being the largest, most spacious AWSA Approved tow boat the 214 has the buttery soft and deliciously small wakes you've come to love from the already World Record Capable ProStar 190, 197 and 214.
Taking the 214V one step farther we would also like to introduce the X-14V. The X-14V boasts the same incredible ski, trick and jump wakes as the 214V but adds a Wakeboard Tower, Ballast System, Board Racks and a Subwoofer making it the worlds best family boat.

Wow, what a accomplishment! Congratulations MasterCraft!

shepherd
11-01-2008, 11:03 AM
MasterCraft Reinvents The Slalom Boat!

Looks great. I'd like to ski behind one or read an independent test before I passed judgment though...

ProTour X9
11-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I wonder whats up w/ the windshield???

VS.

PendO
11-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I want to see this 214V compared to a 197 ... interesting concept

Marcos
11-01-2008, 02:08 PM
If I had the cash, the X14V would already be in the garage.... However, for now I am very happy with my '97 PS190. This boat has the high gunwhales, which I need here out on the lake. I's one of the best slalomboats around and throws a decent wakeboardwake as well, when weighted.
I would like a ND tower on there, without the stupid high bimini... a low bimini and even an extra crossection to add torsion strength and to store skis on it would be nice and gives the boat more usability (is that actually a word?, I'm Dutch, remember....):rolleyes:.

Justjoe
11-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Hey. Not to be a jerk or anything, but the AWSA is "through"ing things at boats now? I hope that wasn't a cut and paste from an actual press release. Not meant to be a flame, really.

Justjoe
11-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Hey, what if the boat had a radiator instead of drawing coolant (water) from the lake. Then we could just run antifreeze in the system and ski until the hull couldn't break through the ice. Maybe they could produce a kit that would include a stainless steel bow to act as a mini ice cutter!

woftam
11-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I wonder whats up w/ the windshield???

VS.

The pic of the windshield (top pic) would make mounting a barefoot boom more straightforward.

JohnE
11-01-2008, 08:32 PM
I had a chance to drive the new 214V last month. I didn't ski it, though. It was pouring. It was real sluggish out of the hole, but that might be because of the LY6. It didn't jump out nearly as fast as my X14 DD w/ mcx.

Timbo126
11-10-2008, 10:48 AM
I have an 05 197TT and absolutely love it. The rear locker gets used all of the time and keeps a lot of the wet gloves, vests, etc. from making it into the boat. We also love the rear seat/sunpad. That has been used a lot more than I thought it would. As for the walk-through cooler, I think it is a miss. It is hot in the summer here in TX and that cooler won't keep ice solid for more than 1 hour. We used it once this year and gave up. However, a Igloo marine cooler fits under the obs seat nicely.

I don't mind the low bow. I have had a couple of Supra Comp's in my past so I am very used to a low bow. I think it makes it look like a sports car on the water. Speaking of sports cars, the 197 drives like a Porsche - great acceleration, great handling and a great sound!

It is though, by any measure, a great boat.

Exactly! That would be the ideal solution. Even contour it a bit more to the bilge and hull to allow for ever inch of the space to be used and lower the floor in the trunk so the skis could be left bindings up!

The reason the gas tank is this size and does not go the full width of the boat is so it can be pulled out if needs to be replaced.

erkoehler
11-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey all, in the market for a ski boat and really like the look and reputation the mastercraft 197 has. If you could change any one thing about the boat what would it me. Does everyone like the trunk? and the way it hinges to the sides or would it be better to hinge at the front or back, how bout the rear seat, do you really use it all that much. I also dont know if i like how the walk thru area to the bow is raised, is that a problem? What about handling and performance, how does this boat measure up and what all would you change about the boats design. After owning it do you wish you would have chosen another brand?

Thanks

Where are you in the midwest? We (Chicago MasterCraft) are always willing to put a boat in the water for a demo/test drive....let me know if your interested.

wannabeshortline
11-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I guess I just want to know if this is the best boat out there, I havent had the opportunity to spend much if any time in anything but the 197. I realize this is considered the best boat out there but without skiing the malibu and nautique I dont know for certain. I'm curious what the malibu and nautique forms say....Malibu and nautique guys maybe wishing they had the expandable sundeck like mastercraft. Are the nautique guys wishing their boats were a little larger for family outting? Are they wishing they had a deeper trunk like some of the mastercraft guys.

erkoehler
11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I guess I just want to know if this is the best boat out there, I havent had the opportunity to spend much if any time in anything but the 197. I realize this is considered the best boat out there but without skiing the malibu and nautique I dont know for certain. I'm curious what the malibu and nautique forms say....Malibu and nautique guys maybe wishing they had the expandable sundeck like mastercraft. Are the nautique guys wishing their boats were a little larger for family outting? Are they wishing they had a deeper trunk like some of the mastercraft guys.

If you look at the Nautique, your going to be comparing it to a SN196 which is a closed bow. If you want an open bow in a SN you have to step up to the SN206 which is a much bigger boat (over 20ft), and the wakes aren't going to even be anything close to a MC 197.

The SN206 would compare more to the PS214.
The SN196 would compare to the MC PS 190/197.

JohnE
11-10-2008, 11:51 AM
The SN206 would compare more to the PS214.

With a lot less room and not as good a wake if what I've heard is true. I know a guy with one but haven't ski'd it personally.

wannabeshortline
11-10-2008, 12:59 PM
How long is the 197? 19' 7"?

03 35th Anniversary
11-10-2008, 01:06 PM
How long is the 197? 19' 7"?

19' 8".........

erkoehler
11-10-2008, 01:07 PM
With a lot less room and not as good a wake if what I've heard is true. I know a guy with one but haven't ski'd it personally.

I would agree w/ that statement.

Witness140
11-10-2008, 02:02 PM
When talking about the SN206 vs the 197.......just look at which boat CC and MC brings to the tournaments. Did a 206 pull the masters? Big Dawg?

Of the big events MC pulled - did they use the 197? Hmmmm.

Ski-me
11-10-2008, 02:56 PM
I'd agree as well. When I was looking for our 94' 205.....I also looked at some newer era boats...aka PS 197, CC 205 and Bu LXi with open bows. Most of the feedback I got from CC people was that the 206 was "decent" for skiing but not anything close to their 196 (closed bow). Most of the responses I recieved was it was a good "all around" ski and wake boat. The only open bow that was considered to have an excellent ski wake was the 197 and the LXi. The LXi does have more room than the 197 but I still don't think the quality is up to the MC and CC level yet.

We ultimately decided to save our cash and get the cheaper unit for our first boat.....great choice!!:D

SchuyHigh
11-10-2008, 06:48 PM

For what its worth, the larger sunpad had a strong influence on my purchase. I can only ski so much and the rest of the time is recreation. I've owned a PS190 with no sundeck and a Supra with one person sundeck. The large pad has been used as expected. My wife would not trade it for anything. Hope you and your family enjoy whatever you buy, but I see no reason my 197 will not service me 12-15 years(then its time for a cruiser)! Good Luck

OhioX14
11-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Then you really NEED to spend some time in, and hopefully behind, the other boats. Please pardon me for being direct, but the ONLY way you're going to know for sure which one is best for you is to try them out. Every dealer worth their salt will give you that opportunity and if IMHO it's a critical step in the boat purchasing process. Almost every response you've received in this thread is personal opinions and what may be good for someone else may not be good for you.

Go test drive some boats man, it's fun!

Storm34
11-11-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm sure this has already been posted somewhere, found it on a facebook page... can you say "Rollers"!?!?

SNATCHEM
11-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Proud owner of an X7 since January 08 -
Would'nt change a thing except the hinges on the trunk.
All boat parts should be stainless steel - my hinges are starting to rust already !

scramison
11-11-2008, 06:49 AM
yea my friend had the same problem with his 1997 ski centrion. I think it is one of the downsides to getting better gas mileage and having that shape of hull.

We shorted the electrical a few times. It really sucked.

loeweb
11-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Must say that probably the only thing that I would change on my 190 would be the year. I think I would want a newer one. I personally love the wake, and even the tight quarters that it provides. If you don't like sitting two wide on the observers seat there is plenty of room on shore!

moleson10
11-18-2008, 12:48 PM

All in all a great boat. No surprise we would say so. I love mine and would buy one again but here's some candid feedback.

Previously I had a Ski Nautique and overall I think CC makes a higher quality (not necessarily better) boat. Their QC and attention to detail is superior and their designs more functional. I've had to resolve several cosmetic and upholstery issues. All boats have issues but this one has had more than it should for the price.

Another (design) problem is with the rear seat bottom cushion. The fact that it can be raised to make a sun pad is great and one of the reasons we chose the 197 over others. But, the support strut under the seat cushion is not strong enough and will bend easily. There's really no excuse for that.

And of course the low bow but I'm willing to live with that for the looks. The 197 is hands down the best looking boat I've ever seen IMHO. The ski wake is second to none, it has good storage, handles great and most important, it's fun to drive and own. I just wish MC would spend more time checking things before they leave the factory.

Good luck shopping.