PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

c_pohja
10-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Hey guys need a little help here.

Last time i was out at the lake my boat started overheating. Got it home put it in the garage and ordered two new impellers from DIM. I figured this was the issue as this was a new to me boat last year and I didnít know much about the maintenance prior. The other day I went to install the impeller and winterize the boat. Once I got the impeller installed (was fairly easy even for my first PCM 351 install. I was used to the indmar setup) I ran the boat on the hose in the driveway and everything was good to go. I got my RV antifreeze out poured it in the buckets and went to suck it into the motor. When I fired up the boat and got no suction. I checked the impeller install and everything checks out per the manual. My question is what else could be blocking the suction? It works with the hose, but not on its own. Please help!! I need to get this thing winterized!!

bcampbe7
10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey guys need a little help here.

Last time i was out at the lake my boat started overheating. Got it home put it in the garage and ordered two new impellers from DIM. I figured this was the issue as this was a new to me boat last year and I didnít know much about the maintenance prior. The other day I went to install the impeller and winterize the boat. Once I got the impeller installed (was fairly easy even for my first PCM 351 install. I was used to the indmar setup) I ran the boat on the hose in the driveway and everything was good to go. I got my RV antifreeze out poured it in the buckets and went to suck it into the motor. When I fired up the boat and got no suction. I checked the impeller install and everything checks out per the manual. My question is what else could be blocking the suction? It works with the hose, but not on its own. Please help!! I need to get this thing winterized!!

Not sure on your year model but if it has a trans cooler in between the impeller and the water pick-up check to make sure that it is not clogged with debris.

Gamble
10-28-2008, 01:03 AM
did you take the entire pump off the belt to change the impeller? If you did, make sure you put it back on the correct way and not upside down. It will only work one way. If you put it on upside down, it wont suck. My guess is, it would still work on the hose but not suck on its own. Hope this helps.

c_pohja
10-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys. I did take the whole pump off. and i checked the manual to make sure it went back on the correct direction. I will check the trans cooler. I did forget the mention that this is a closed cooling system boat

92 190 PS
10-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I have had the same issue in the past when there wasn't a good seal on the hose going from the suction point into the bucket. Any air in the system or leaks will break the suction. Just double check all your connections....

ski_king
10-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Double check the way you reassembled the pump. The manual may show it the other way. The old Correct Crafts that used the same PCM were right hand rotation and the illustration in the manual may be for that application.

c_pohja
10-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I checked the pump a number of time (took it apart like 4-5 times) and it only looks like it can go back together 1 way. If sombody could post a quick pic of what the pump looks like installed correctly that would be great!!. Thanks for the help

88 PS190
10-28-2008, 06:19 PM
prime the pump?