PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Power Slot Leaking Lots of Fluid

samtechwaterski
10-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey Everyone, I have a 1993 Prostar 205 With the Ford 351HO and Powerslot Transmission. Overall the boat runs really well. Burns some oil here and there but it has begun leaking more and more tranny fluid. The boat has 660 hours. The boat is usually only used on the slalom course, so needless to say it gets run hard. I was out for a 3 days slalom trip this weekend. We had multiple boats and put around 4 hours or so on the 205. I checked the fluid levels everytime we put in and had to fill the trans fluid some every time. From what I can tell, in the span of about 2 boat hours, the transmission dipstick went from full to only the second from the lowest on the dipstick. Needless to say it was burning/leaking lots of fluid. So I pulled out and pulled up the floor so I could gain more access to the rear of the boat. There were puddles of transmission fluid around where the drive shaft exits the boat (lots of fluid all over the bottom). So that makes me think the rear seal is leaking? Overall like I said the boat runs well but the engine compartment is rusty and always oily and flaking paint. I clean and clean but oil and fluids always seem to reappear. The paint and coatings keep pealing off ect.

So Basically what are my options? I can continue to run the boat and constantly have a filthy engine compartment and constantly have to fill tranny fluid....or

Thanks so much for the help. I was hoping that the engine and transmission would go around the same time so I could pull them boat and do rebuilds, but right now I am stuck not knowing what to do. Thanks again

Sam Huff

Bellinghamster
10-27-2008, 11:26 PM
First, figure out for sure where the oil is coming from. Check for loose bolts that hold the sections of the transmission together and the fittings on the cooler lines. With that much oil leaking it should be pretty easy to pinpoint. Wipe everything clean and lay down some rags underneath it and run for awhile then feel around and see where it's wet (be sure not to get the rags caught in the shaft coupling!) You might get lucky and find it's only a loose fitting or fastener.

It's not that hard to pull the engine and/or transmission, and also not that difficult to replace the rear seal on the tranny (or any of the tranny seals, for that matter). I'd definitely recommend dealing with it properly rather than risking running it low and/or polluting whatever body of water you're running in. While the engine is out get some good degreaser and a scrub brush and really get things clean. Sand everything you can reach down and paint it with a good epoxy paint or gelcoat (but only if you've got ALL trace of oil and loose paint removed or it'll peel again).

Granted, I went a little overboard in my cleaning effort (new stringers and floor while I was at it), but it sure is nice to work on now... I don't even need rags!

My '78 S&S before (as purchased) and after pics below.

ted shred
10-29-2008, 04:00 PM
The quickest way that I've found to locate leaks is,buy some dye at the auto parts store. Get the kind that is compatible with your tranny fluid. Then get the special test light (most stores will loan you one) after you run the boat as you normally do, shine the light on the area. The leak will show up flourecent and you can see exactly where it comes from. The less ambient light around you the better it works.

TRBenj
10-30-2008, 09:42 AM
I would agree with your guess- its probably the rear main seal. A better question is, why is it leaking? When was the last time you checked your alignment?

Jim@BAWS
10-30-2008, 10:56 AM
3 places to check

First REAR MAIN is associated with the motor not the transmission
Rear main is behind the FLYWHEEL

a) O Ring on shifter linkage sometimes wears and goes bad SMALL LEAK
b) The hoses has developed a small leak
c) The seal on the from of the transmission closest to the motor has gone bad

Those are the 3 easy ones to check

Jim@BAWS

TRBenj
10-30-2008, 02:02 PM
First REAR MAIN is associated with the motor not the transmission
Rear main is behind the FLYWHEEL

Correction- rear transmission seal. Clearly I wasnt talking about the engine rear main seal though, no? He indicated that he has tranny fluid puddling near the driveshaft- not oil puddling under the bellhousing.

It could be the front trans seal leaking and flowing back down the hull- but the 'slot would also have a rear seal, yes? I know the BW and PCM's do.