PDA

View Full Version : Walkthrough Windshield Seperation

starman205
05-05-2005, 10:55 AM
The lip of the hinged walkthrough winshield of my 93' 205 prostar barely catches the drivers side window frame when it is closed. there is a gap of approximately 3/4" wide between the frame of the hinged windshield and the driver side windshield. Does any know if there is a fix for this and what may have caused this? I have had the boat for 5 years and the seperation has gotten wider each year.

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
There have been some threads in the past about walkthrough windshield sag on the 205s. Looking more closely at mine, I have just a slight bit of sag. If memory serves, it can be fixed.

Welcome to the board. If nobody answers this for you, try a search for "windshield" or "sag."

G-man
05-05-2005, 11:49 AM
This sounds like it's going to hurt but it's not that bad. Grab the windshield at the top and pull it toward the center of the walk through. Do this on each side. Two separate pulls. If this makes the gap less, then pull out the foam in the frame of the windshield and tighten the bolts or screws that hold the windshield in place. Hope this works for you.

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 11:51 AM
George, sounds like you got a hold of a Taylor Products repair manual. ;)

rem_pss308
05-05-2005, 12:04 PM
This sounds like it's going to hurt but it's not that bad. Grab the windshield at the top and pull it toward the center of the walk through. Do this on each side. Two separate pulls. If this makes the gap less, then pull out the foam in the frame of the windshield and tighten the bolts or screws that hold the windshield in place. Hope this works for you.

Would this also be the way to remove the windshield?
I am wanting to repaint mine, but am not sure how to take it off.

G-man
05-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Well you just don't have to pull to center. The best thing you could for the windshield frame would be to take it off, remove the glass and have it powdercoated. A good winter project.

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Will the powdercoating help with rigidity?

G-man
05-05-2005, 01:17 PM
No the powdercoating just seems to last longer and looks better than spraypaint. IMHO so you having a rigidity problem?

AirJunky
05-05-2005, 01:19 PM
On my '94, there are stainless machine screws with nuts & washers underneath holding it all together. When I removed my passenger side, I got underneath the dash & held each nut with a socket while a buddy unscrewed each screw from the top. Took just a few minutes to remove that side. I'd suggest loosening the screws when you move them to the inside, then retightening them down. There is a rubber gasket under the windshield you will also need to realign.

lakes Rick
05-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I believe these years were all shipped with the WS seperate to be installed by the dealer, and each dealer had their own ideas on this.. My 90 TriStar was redone a couple of times, and I thought it was kinda cheesy each time in what and how my dealer did it.....

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 03:34 PM
George, not really. Just when we have to contend with the big rollers. It could probably stand to have the hatches battoned down though.

G-man
05-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Just having fun with you making sure your on your toes.

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm just glad to have my boat back. I'll be doing much better when I'm on the water this weekend.

rem_pss308
05-09-2005, 11:18 AM
The best thing you could for the windshield frame would be to take it off, remove the glass and have it powdercoated. A good winter project.

What kind of shop does powdercoating. An aluminum shop, or a paint shop?