PDA

View Full Version : Any Wheel and Tire Experts?

Maristar210
10-27-2008, 01:10 PM
I have a set of 235 60 / 20 Dunlops winter tires off from my Mothers Jaguar. She had the tires put on in the fall for traction. In two years these tires have seen about 6000 miles total and when she turned the car in off lease I kept the tires because I knew they were either worth something or I could possibly use them myself.

Here is the tire:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/dunlop3.jpg

The tires I have on my GMC are 16 inch, heavy sidewall and the traction sucks in the snow and rain.

SOO

The question is is there a set of wheels I can buy to fit my truck and use the dunlop tires?

Here's the truck:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/P1010002.jpg

2008 GMC 2500 8 lug Standard cab

ncsone
10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
IIRC, the Tire Rack sells cheap steel wheels for snow tires. www.tirerack.com. Or, there is always the option of finding a set of cheap 'take off' wheels via Truck Trader or something like that.

wakeX2wake
10-27-2008, 01:55 PM
yup... that's gonna be your best bet... find a set of 20" wheels that match your lug pattern... another thing youre going to want to check on before you just buy a set of wheels is what your offset is on your wheels... or how far in or out the new wheels will set the tires in realtion to your fender wells... just something worth considering

TX.X-30 fan
10-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Those tires with some spinners would look sweet 210. :D

ridesdirt
10-27-2008, 05:01 PM
You have a 2500 series truck, the tires are "e" load rated. The Jag tires are not. Be very careful if using tires rated other than what is specified in you vehicles door jam. It can be dangerous depending on what you use your truck for, and the insurance companies have caught on to this. If you are involved in an accident, in some states, it could become an very big issue.

And, in my opinion, they will not look good on you truck. However IF it is going to save you some money, do what you gotta do.

JohnE
10-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Steve,

I'd look into just selling the tires for what I could on craiglist or whatever. If they are not what was meant to be on your truck, then they I wouldn't try to utillize them.

Maristar210
10-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. I see the load rating issues. I don't believe this is a problem here. I do know the stock tires are stiff as hell and make the truck ride rougher than it has to. I use my trcuk for a daily driver mostly but also as a boat hauler and Kubota trailer puller.

The wife's '07 Yukon has 20's that are nearing the end of thier life. I might have a use for them there.

Thanks again

Steve

Ski-me
10-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the responses. I see the load rating issues. I don't believe this is a problem here. I do know the stock tires are stiff as hell and make the truck ride rougher than it has to. I use my trcuk for a daily driver mostly but also as a boat hauler and Kubota trailer puller.

The wife's '07 Yukon has 20's that are nearing the end of thier life. I might have a use for them there.

Thanks again

Steve

If you go with 20" wheels your ride is going to be stiffer than a 17" or 18" wheel. My 3/4 suburban came with 20" wheels and "P" rated tires. It sure did look Pimpin'.....but not my taste. I sold the set on craigslist, sold the factory wheels and tires and then bought new, 17" wheels (Pro-Comp) and some BFG All-Terrains. One of my pleasant surprises was the smoother ride I got on the 17's. Using the tire for a little more cushion helps. Also, the tires I put on were now LT truck tires. Able to carry the truck's original purpose load.

If your ride is stiff, at least try lowering the tire pressure...especially in the back that has no weight. You also might try adding some sandbags in the bed to help with the rear lightness. Put the bags at least on the axle or forward of the axle centerline.

Worth a shot before buying new tires.

88 PS190
10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
For snow tires you do not want a big wheel.

That being you'd do better with a smaller wheel and more rubber on your snows, and bigger wheel, less rubber for dry pavement.