PDA

View Full Version : Temps at freezing and winterizing

dwhegler
10-27-2008, 07:53 AM
I have a 2008 X-15. I am concerned about the temperature dipping down to around 30 or upper 20s. I don't want to put the boat up yet as there may be some more warm days but don't want to risk damage to the engine/manifold. What do you all recommend? In the old days people use to put a small watt light in well houses to keep from freezing so not sure this would help. Maybe I should drain out the water in the engine??? My boat sits on the lift over the water so that may be better or worse.

Thanks!

bigmac
10-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Sitting in, or close to, the water will moderate the temps that the engine block sees. Keeping the boat under cover will also make a difference. There are engine compartment heaters (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/search.cgi?str=heater&r=search) available, but they're pretty spendy (also see the BoatSafe heaters (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayPageDynamicView?page=EndecaProductCompare&jspStoreDir=wm51&Ntt=heater&keyword=heater&N=377%20710&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&self=0&isLTokenURL=true)). A 100-watt light bulb may be all you need if the temps are only hovering around 32 F, but that would make me a little nervous. Probably a better option would be a Dry Wave (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=71503&pdesc=Drywave_Air_Dryer&str=dry%20wave&merchID=1008&r=view)or TurboHeater (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&keyword=turbo+dryer&Ntt=turbo+dryer&N=377+710&storeId=10001&Ntk=Primary+Search&ddkey=SiteSearch). Those things heat the air and blow it around a little. Draining the engine block and exhaust manifolds is probably the safest thing.

Witness140
10-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Since the temperature is simply dipping to the 30's or upper 20's overnight - for a brief period, it should be ok. If it were in the 30's all day and then went into the 20's at night, I'd be worried.

Probably the easiest thing to do - and most fun - take the boat out for a ride in the early evening. Get it up to temp. In the morning, even with outside temps dipping to 25 briefly, that engine's core will still be room temp.

Probably not necessary, but will make you feel better. Also - the lake temp is still pretty high, and the boat's proximity to it will keep it warmer too.

The lake up here in the northeast is still in the 50's and we've had one night where it hit 18. On the other hand - it was 50 during the previous day, and 63 the next day. Just a transient temp in the overnight. Plenty of boats still in on lifts with no issue.

bigmac
10-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Running the boat in the evening is a good idea, but if the boat isn't covered, or if it's windy, radiation and convection will cool it off pretty quickly.

dwhegler
10-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the responses. Is there an online manual to show how to drain the engine and manifold? I may take it out and run it because you are right it stays warm in that compartment for a while. It is really only Tuesday night where it may be the coldest. I've seen people post pictures skiing here online with snow on the banks and thought how do they keep the engine warm. I figured they must garage it and take out for the day. I figured once I winterized then it will probably be back in the 80s the next week and will hate it because I would not be able to go wakeboarding. The water temps are still in the upper 60s here.

vision
10-27-2008, 08:14 AM
You can also drain the water from your block and exhaust manifolds, and disconnect the intake hose at the bottom of the transmission cooler (where MC recommends you clean debris from the screen before each outing). Depending on your engine, this is usually just 2 screws, and 2 hoses. Pull your kill switch lanyard and crank the engine over a few times (out of the water) to push out any additional water without starting the boat. This takes all of 5 to 10 minutes to do and makes it nearly impossible that enough water is in your engine to do damage if it freezes. Leave the plugs out and the hoses disconnected until you want to use the boat again. I tape them to my steering wheel as a reminder that they are out. Be sure to drain your heater or shower as well.

dwhegler
10-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Forgot to mention I have a snap-on cover that I keep on it all the time.

ProStar190Fan
10-27-2008, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=vision;551880] Leave the plugs out and the hoses disconnected until you want to use the boat again. I tape them to my steering wheel as a reminder that they are out.QUOTE]

Definatley if your going to drain the water from the engine, DO NOT forget the plugs, or you might hear you bildge for an unknown reason like i have. I have found that if i tie them to the safety lanyard then i always remember as i take that out of the boat along with my keys.
Tom

dwhegler
10-27-2008, 10:01 AM
I think I am going to get one of the Xtreme Heaters. What cubic foot do you think the engine compartment is? Here is a chart. I am thinking the 450watt.

Thanks

Operating Cost Chart

Small
Medium
Large

Wattage
300 to 525 + 450 to 625 + 600 to 800+
BTU
1023 to 1790 1535 to 2130 2050 to 2725
Cost per Hour
$0.023 to $0.041 $0.035 to $0.049 $0.047 to $0.620
Exit Air Temp
167 203 245
Cubic Ft
180 350 675

Jesus_Freak
10-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Running the boat in the evening is a good idea, but if the boat isn't covered, or if it's windy, radiation and convection will cool it off pretty quickly.

Absolutely. The rate at which the thermal field in the block/water passages diffuses out is 100% dependent on cloud cover, lake proximity, wind speed, wind temp, etc. There is no general rule. Dont take chances.

mccobmd
10-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Hey I'm just a Doctor but it would be warmer if you let the lift down and let it sit in the water overnight. Water temp is probably 50-60 degrees which is much warmer that 20-30 degree air. I know there are downsides but if you're trying to get a few extra weeks use the heat nature gives you.

peason
10-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Hey I'm just a Doctor but it would be warmer if you let the lift down and let it sit in the water overnight. Water temp is probably 50-60 degrees which is much warmer that 20-30 degree air. I know there are downsides but if you're trying to get a few extra weeks use the heat nature gives you.

Hey I am not a doctor, but I agree with this. I would run it in the evening and then let it sit in the water.

dwhegler
10-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Good point. Thanks!

Gonzo
10-27-2008, 04:43 PM
threadjack,

here is the weather the next few days. I have a pontoon that my mom is going to crank on the lift and let the water blow out (thats all we do) and a Sea Doo on a ramp that needs to have the same thing done to winterize but at moms age she cant crawl out on it and do it. So far I got a not sure let me know how it goes... from a trusted friend. Any input.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GFRC_enUS215US215&q=weather+27850

Hollywood
10-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Gonzo, you will be fine.