PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing LQ9 question...

h2oskiier222
10-26-2008, 10:20 PM
So I winterized my boat today for the first time and I have a quick question. I followed the directions for witnerization in the owners manual but have a question about a paticular step:

"Remove the raw-water inlet and outlethoses from the intake side of the heat exchanger."

My question is this on the outlet of the heat exchanger there is a T that has a hose going to each exhaust manifold. I have taken off one of the hoses but the other hose is so short (3 inches)that I have to take the heat exchanger off to get it off. I already drained the exhaust manifolds buy unscrewing the hoses on the back side of the motor. So my question is do I need to take that short little section off or is it okay to leave it together? I really don't want to have any broken pieces next spring.

Thanks for your replys in advance.

03 35th Anniversary
10-26-2008, 10:37 PM
I just drained the heat exchanger then raised and lowered the front of the boat leaving it sit for a few minutes in each position and left them on mine. But I don't live in Colorado either.

h2oskiier222
10-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Okay thanks for the idea...That is exactly what I am worried about; seems like there is a chance that there could be a tiny bit of water in there.

bigmac
10-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Other than pickling the boat with antifreeze, I think there is often some water that freezes in a winterized boat engine. The important thing is to make sure that when it does freeze, its expansion won't crack anything. I suspect that a little puddle of water in the exhaust manifolds wouldn't break anything, but if you're worried about it, you could pour a couple of gallons of -100 propylene glycol antifreeze in the thermostat hose.

Jerseydave
10-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Draining all the water out is fine, but why not take it one more step and get some -60 degree purple marine anti-freeze, remove the pickup hose from the hull fitting, stick it in a bucket and suck-up about 4 gals. of the anti freeze? (total cost of a/f under $28) It's just good insurance plus it acts as a rust preventative.

Here's my procedure after I have changed the oil and added the NEW STABIL made for gas with 10 % ethanol added:

1) run engine on the hose to flush it out and bring it up to temperature
2) drain block and manifolds, pull hose off oil cooler to check for debris
3) draw-in 4 gals of -60 degree anti-freeze by removing intake hose from hull fitting
4) for RTP engine only, fog engine thru throttle body while the last gallon of a/f is going in
5) for EFI engines, remove spark plugs after a/f is in engine and fog thru spark plug holes.
6) spray WD-40 all over engine and trans, remove battery and store indoors OR connect a battery tender to it for the winter.

You can also change trans fluid at this time, grease rudder on some boats. I like to wait until spring to change impeller (every 2 years)

Just thought I'd share the way I winterize, others will have different opinions/procedures. :D

#47of100TeamMC
10-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Got a picture of the hose in question?

So I winterized my boat today for the first time and I have a quick question. I followed the directions for witnerization in the owners manual but have a question about a paticular step:

"Remove the raw-water inlet and outlethoses from the intake side of the heat exchanger."

My question is this on the outlet of the heat exchanger there is a T that has a hose going to each exhaust manifold. I have taken off one of the hoses but the other hose is so short (3 inches)that I have to take the heat exchanger off to get it off. I already drained the exhaust manifolds buy unscrewing the hoses on the back side of the motor. So my question is do I need to take that short little section off or is it okay to leave it together? I really don't want to have any broken pieces next spring.

Thanks for your replys in advance.

h2oskiier222
10-27-2008, 10:35 AM
On the LQ9 there is already antifreeze in the block, water pump, and heat exchanger. The raw water that is pulled in from the lake cools the antifreeze in the heat exchanger. So my process (based on the owner's manual) is to check the antifreeze's strength and then drain the areas that have water in them (trans cooler, raw water pump, intake side of heat exchanger, exhaust manifolds).

My question refers to a short section of hose that connects the heat exchanger and the starboard exhaust manifold.

I had thought about putting antifreeze through the raw water components but just decided to follow the process in the owner's manual. I really wasn't sure which one was better I just made my decision based on MC. I did have to put antifreeze in the ballast pump and lines though.

Thanks for advice so far!

h2oskiier222
10-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately, no picture...It is a very short section of hose (2-3 inches). It connects the the T on the front of the heat exchanger into the bottom of the starboard exhaust manifold.

rhsprostar
10-27-2008, 10:40 AM
The Mastercraft manual is wrong about heat exchanger draining!!!:mad::mad::mad:
Last year I had to replace my heat exchanger becuase the draining directions were incorrect.
According to the mastercraft manual all you have to do to drain it is to remove the hoses going into and exiting the exchanger.
Trust me when i say that THIS DOES NOT get all the water out!!!! There are two drains on each end of the exchanger that you must remove with a wrench in order to drain the exhanger fully. According to the Indmar manual on thier website, that is the correct procedure for draining them. There are actually three drains on the bottom of the exchanger but the middle one is for the coolant so leave it alone. I have removed both my drains and put them in a zip lock back tied to the steering wheel with bilge plug as well.
Don't forget to remove the hose at the low end of your tranny cooler as well.
Any other questions let me know.

h2oskiier222
10-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Last year I had to replace my heat exchanger becuase the draining directions were incorrect.
According to the mastercraft manual all you have to do to drain it is to remove the hoses going into and exiting the exchanger.
Trust me when i say that THIS DOES NOT get all the water out!!!! There are two drains on each end of the exchanger that you must remove with a wrench in order to drain the exhanger fully. According to the Indmar manual on thier website, that is the correct procedure for draining them. There are actually three drains on the bottom of the exchanger but the middle one is for the coolant so leave it alone. I have removed both my drains and put them in a zip lock back tied to the steering wheel with bilge plug as well.

WOW! Thanks for the advice on the heat exchanger; if I wouldn't have read that I would be replacing next spring...Are the two drains you are talking about on the bottom of the heat exchanger or are they on the sides? I did notice yesterday what looked like a drain on the back of the heat exchanger. If they are on the bottom then will have to look for them as I didn't notice them yesterday.

Any ideas on the short section of hose I was talking about?

#47of100TeamMC
10-27-2008, 11:28 AM
So in my manual it says, "remove the drain plug/anode of the heat exchanger, if anode is less than 1" long replace this plug". but when I removed the plug on the port side, (i'm assuming this is the anode plug) it had interior threads, but no anode came out... Does that mean it's rolling around in my heat exchanger somewhere? do I need to get it out before I replace it with a new one?

#47of100TeamMC
10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
WOW! Thanks for the advice on the heat exchanger; if I wouldn't have read that I would be replacing next spring...Are the two drains you are talking about on the bottom of the heat exchanger or are they on the sides? I did notice yesterday what looked like a drain on the back of the heat exchanger. If they are on the bottom then will have to look for them as I didn't notice them yesterday.

Any ideas on the short section of hose I was talking about?

Like stated, there are 3 plugs on the bottom of the heat exchanger. remove the outer 2 leave the middle one alone, that is the drain for the coolant.

Jerseydave
10-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Oops, my reply was for not for closed-cooled engines like your LQ9. Sorry for any confusion.

rhsprostar
10-27-2008, 02:37 PM
They are on the bottom. I can't remember the exact socket size but the two on each end are for the raw water side. The one on the passenger side has an anode on it, and if it is smaller than 1 inch you should get a new one, but on an 05 it shouldn't be a problem. Don't touch the middle one as it drains the coolant.
There are bolts on each "end" of the exchanger but they are for completely removing the end piece and have gaskets in them. You do not remove those.

h2oskiier222
10-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all your help!! :cool:

rhsprostar
10-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I just saved you a $1000 bucks.....i think you owe me a beer!;)

rhsprostar
10-27-2008, 10:14 PM
So in my manual it says, "remove the drain plug/anode of the heat exchanger, if anode is less than 1" long replace this plug". but when I removed the plug on the port side, (i'm assuming this is the anode plug) it had interior threads, but no anode came out... Does that mean it's rolling around in my heat exchanger somewhere? do I need to get it out before I replace it with a new one?

Check the other plug, someone may have reversed them when they put them in.
Interesting about the 02 manual. Check out what they have for my 04!

Page 93 Fresh Water Cooled Engines
http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/2004_MasterCraft_Owners_Manual.pdf

Result......one dead heat exchanger!:mad::mad::mad:
I replaced it myself this past spring to the tune of $1100 just for the part!
Sure makes me grumpy again...............

The Indmar manual is way better. Available on their website.

rhsprostar
10-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Just checked, the 04,05,06 and 07 manual all have the same intstructions for draining the heat exchanger. Can you believe it?
I am surprised there have not been more failures.

rgardjr
10-28-2008, 01:23 AM
I'm in the process of winterizing my '06 Maristar 200 SS with the 5.7 Crusader for the first time. The heat exchanger on my boat only has a drain on one side-mine has a hose connected to it that runs down to lube/cool the prop drive shaft. I must have a different heat exchanger than the Caddy motors get.

rhsprostar
10-29-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm in the process of winterizing my '06 Maristar 200 SS with the 5.7 Crusader for the first time. The heat exchanger on my boat only has a drain on one side-mine has a hose connected to it that runs down to lube/cool the prop drive shaft. I must have a different heat exchanger than the Caddy motors get.

Good question...better check the indmar site! Is the crusader an Indmar?

#47of100TeamMC
10-29-2008, 02:35 PM
[quote=rhsprostar;552117]
quote]

I removed both and the other plug is solid. I stuck my finger up the hole, and I could feel the anode but could not get it out. it was loose and moving.

Anyone know if you can get this part from Ski-dim?

rhsprostar
10-31-2008, 06:54 PM
[quote=rhsprostar;552117]
quote]

I removed both and the other plug is solid. I stuck my finger up the hole, and I could feel the anode but could not get it out. it was loose and moving.

Anyone know if you can get this part from Ski-dim?

I think it would be cheap from Mastercraft to be honest. If you want the broken anode out (I would) you can easily remove the bolt on the end of the heat exchanger. The whole round end will come off and there is a rubber gasket which you can reuse. The anode will be sitting right there. it goes on just as easily as it came off You may have to gently tap the end piece with a mallet or something to break the seal.
I have the old one at the lake and could take a picture on Sunday for you.
Not hard....really.

h2oskiier222
11-02-2008, 07:20 AM
I just finally had time to loo at my heat exchanger last night and it wasn't quite what I was expecting. It turns out on the bottom of my heat exchanger there are only two drain plugs not three. They are all the way at the back end of the heat exchanger (sits long ways on starboard side). Does this sound like yours or did MC change something? Do I pull both drain plugs or does one do antifreeze?

rhsprostar
11-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Here are some pics from the old heat exchanger.
You can see the three drains in the first shot. The middle one is for coolant, the two on each end are for water.
In the next shot you will see the end of the exchanger removed. You can see the drain plug for the passenger side with the anode attached.
Are you sure that there only two drains???

#47of100TeamMC
11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Exactly what mine is like. I think I will remove the end cap and fish out the anode. Thanks for the tip!

rhsprostar
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I just finally had time to loo at my heat exchanger last night and it wasn't quite what I was expecting. It turns out on the bottom of my heat exchanger there are only two drain plugs not three. They are all the way at the back end of the heat exchanger (sits long ways on starboard side). Does this sound like yours or did MC change something? Do I pull both drain plugs or does one do antifreeze?

I would love to see a picture. On my LQ9 the heat exchanger sits in front of the motor down below the impeller. It is pretty big. I don't think it could fit beside the motor especially on the right hand side.

h2oskiier222
11-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah there are only two drains and they are both right next to each other on one end of the exchanger. I will take some shots for you when I get over to work on it. I don't have my boat at my house because my garage is already full. The exchanger sits under the exhaust manifold on the right side; I was a little surprised at this as well. The motor box on my boat is huge; it is two piece like the older style, not like on the 197's with the MCX. This is the only picture I have of the motor but you can see the hoses that lead over to exchanger on the right side. I will get more pictures next time I am down there (later this week).

rhsprostar
11-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Wow,i can see that your coolant reserve is in front of the motor while mine is beside it , probably where your exchanger is.
You may only have one water drain on that unit. I would guess that if one of them is closer to either end, that would be the water drain. Just make sure you take it out slowly and if you start to see coolant dripping out, close it back up and try the other drain.
If you get a chance take a pic and post it.

h2oskiier222
11-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Sounds like there are some other differences on our LQ9s. That is exactly what I was thinking on drain, I am going to try the end first and watch for antifreeze. Yeah I will post some pictures of the heat exchanger when I get to work on it.

h2oskiier222
11-06-2008, 07:44 PM
So I just got down to finish up the winterization on my boat. The drain on the rear of the heat exchanger was the anode and the drain for the water. I didn't try the front drain but I am assuming that it is to drain the anti-freeze. Here is a picture of the heat exchanger location on my LQ9. It is hard to see the rear drain but take a look...

#47of100TeamMC
11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Wow,i can see that your coolant reserve is in front of the motor while mine is beside it , probably where your exchanger is.
You may only have one water drain on that unit. I would guess that if one of them is closer to either end, that would be the water drain. Just make sure you take it out slowly and if you start to see coolant dripping out, close it back up and try the other drain.
If you get a chance take a pic and post it.

Must be different locations because of his Oversized Engine box. Every other LQ9 I have seen (including mine) the K&N air filter is crunched a little on top because it doesn't quite fit with out hitting the motor box a little.

rhsprostar
11-07-2008, 11:06 AM
So I just got down to finish up the winterization on my boat. The drain on the rear of the heat exchanger was the anode and the drain for the water. I didn't try the front drain but I am assuming that it is to drain the anti-freeze. Here is a picture of the heat exchanger location on my LQ9. It is hard to see the rear drain but take a look...

As long as you got the lower drain done and it had an anode in it you should be fine. I have never seen an LQ9 setup like that before. How does it hook up to your exhaust manifolds?

h2oskiier222
11-08-2008, 06:59 PM
As long as you got the lower drain done and it had an anode in it you should be fine. I have never seen an LQ9 setup like that before. How does it hook up to your exhaust manifolds?

If you look in my picture you can see a hose that is disconnected that goes over to the port exhaust manifold. Just above in the picture you can see where that hose hooks up to the heat exchanger. Where this hooks up there is a T and one is disconnected the other is a very short section of hose that hooks up to the bottom of the exhaust manifold there. This is section that I was asking about in my original post. Take a look and see if you can see it; it is hard to see. The section is so short the only way I can figure to remove it is to take the heat exchanger off.

I wonder if mine is setup this way because they changed it in later years. My boat isn't much newer but maybe they changed something in '05 or '04 for some reason. But I really have no idea! :confused: