PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard rack question

Jerseydave
10-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Is there a way to increase the spring tension on my rack? I feel the springs inside are weak and don't clamp down as hard on the boards like they use to. Or do I have to replace the springs with new ones? Anyone ever done this yet?

2005 X-star factory board racks.

magnum
10-27-2008, 12:17 AM
I have an 06 X-Star and having the same problem, I was dropping my boat at the dealer yesterday and asked him about this and he didn't have a solution for it , We have to usually put a rubber strap on it for safety due to we had a board come out and hit someone in the back seat this summer , Let me know if you find out something about this , they had a new boat there and it seems to have the same tension as mine . they had a board in this new boat and it seemed to move around more than it should

MC X-15
10-27-2008, 09:37 AM
My 08 with the swivel racks do the same thing kinda, havent lost a board yet but one of them is looser then the other. There must be a way to increase the tension.

Jerseydave
10-27-2008, 11:06 AM
I have an 06 X-Star and having the same problem, I was dropping my boat at the dealer yesterday and asked him about this and he didn't have a solution for it , We have to usually put a rubber strap on it for safety due to we had a board come out and hit someone in the back seat this summer , Let me know if you find out something about this , they had a new boat there and it seems to have the same tension as mine . they had a board in this new boat and it seemed to move around more than it should

A week ago I had a wakesurf board launch out of the rack, landed on the sun deck and ripped a small gash in my upholstery. It was a bad combination in that the waeksurf board is light and catches more air than a wakeboard would. Still, I think the clamps need to be tighter with more spring tension.

Any dealers care to comment on this? MYMC? JimBAWS?

wakeX2wake
10-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I had a similar thing happen w/ mine as well at the beginning of the summer but haven't had any issues since i put the tower braces on... i'm assuming you have the tower braces?

magnum
10-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I do not have the tower braces on my 06 x-star, the dealer said they were not needed for the 06 tower and I don't think they are even available but it does seem to sway a lot in rough water

ttu
10-27-2008, 04:09 PM
My 08 with the swivel racks do the same thing kinda, havent lost a board yet but one of them is looser then the other. There must be a way to increase the tension.

this is a interesting topic. i lost my hyperlite 3ds two weekends ago. never noticed it fall off and when we got back to the ramp, i was like ***.

hope there is a fix. i hate bungee's

wakeX2wake
10-27-2008, 04:11 PM
from what i can tell that's the reason the board came out of my rack and landed in Jules's lap... (haha she was fine but she had a nice little bump on her head)... after i put the braces on the boards were fine in the racks... i don't know about the braces from what i remember reading they started needing them w/ the re-design on the tower in '07... since i put the braces on i haven't come close to the boards coming out but i would also feel better if there were a little stiffer spring in the clamps

i hope noone is noticing these issues popping up while pulling w/ the boards in the racks... really bad idea and a dangerous move if you pull at highway speeds w/ the boards in the racks

ttu
10-27-2008, 04:13 PM
i hope noone is noticing these issues popping up while pulling w/ the boards in the racks... really bad idea and a dangerous move if you pull at highway speeds w/ the boards in the racks[/QUOTE]

that's not how i lost mine. boat never goes over 35mph on the water.;)

wakeX2wake
10-27-2008, 04:17 PM
that's not how i lost mine. boat never goes over 35mph on the water.;)

as its intended... i saw a bu a few weeks ago w/ about 6 or 7 board in the racks clicking about 70mph on a 4 lane highway... passed him and there was NOTHING in the bed of his truck... i just shook my head and rolled on... i would sure hate it for him if his 08 Transcend w/ 08 zeus bindings ended up on the hood of my truck somehow... i bet my first reaction would be to hit the brakes:D

Jerseydave
10-27-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't think braces would help on my '05 X-star. When my wakesurfer came out, we were driving on smooth water into a head wind. The wind grabbed the board right out of the rack.
(Too much surface area for the wind too grab on a wakesurfer)

I'll be taking my rack apart to see what I can change, if anything.