PDA

View Full Version : fuel vent for 2001 PS 209

Gamble
10-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Anyone know where the vent is for a 2001 PS209? It seems like when I fill up, the tank burps and it comes out of the fill cap quite a bit. I can't seem to find where the vent is on the outside of the hull........or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place! Not sure if it's supposed to vent through the cap.......but the cap seals good, so there has to be a vent hose somewhere. Thanks in advance.

bigmac
10-26-2008, 11:47 AM
The fuel vent is in the filler neck. Fuel splashing back is a common problem and AFAIK, there's no good solution other than to stop filling the tank just short of full. Most here on TT report that they estimate based on the gas gauge. I used to have a whistle thingy on the external vent on my old I/O. That worked pretty well, but isn't possible on the MasterCraft vents.

Some have tried this fuel/air separator (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LG-50). Reviews are mixed - some say it solves the problem, some say it doesn't make a bit of difference.

http://www.skidim.com/images/LG-50.jpg

Gamble
10-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I give BigMac........what is the acronym for the AFAIK???!! Thanks for all the help.......I had my suspicion it vented up top through the filler neck, but wasn't sure..........I'm also not sure if it's actually getting filled all the way!

bigmac
10-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I give BigMac........what is the acronym for the AFAIK???!!

AFAIK = As Far As I Know...

brianpt
10-26-2008, 01:19 PM
i think thats one area were mastercraft could use a little engenering to solve taht problem mine spill over evry time my truck never does

Gamble
10-26-2008, 01:25 PM
NO kidding! Between the crappy engineered fuel pumps, and the fuel overflow issue.........they could fix 2 problems and make a lot of people happy!

bigmac
10-26-2008, 01:36 PM
While I don't disagree about poor fuel pump engineering, to be fair I've never owned a boat, AFAIK never have seen a boat, that didn't splash back through the vent line when being filled.

The fuel pump issue....that should have been fixed years ago. The splash-back issue....I chalk that up one of the universal PITA's of boat ownership.

brianpt
10-26-2008, 11:23 PM
i know vehicles dont splash back so we have the tech so mastercraft could be the first could ad it to ther sales pich plus a little nicer to the enviroment especialy filling her up on the water

bigmac
10-27-2008, 07:52 AM
i know vehicles dont splash back so we have the tech so mastercraft could be the first could ad it to ther sales pich plus a little nicer to the enviroment especialy filling her up on the water

Automobile gas tanks aren't vented. Having said that, I'm sure the technology exists. The questions are a) how much would it cost? and b) will the Coast Guard (which has input on boat fuel system design) let them do it?