PDA

View Full Version : Water spot? mineral? am I the only one?

93Prostar190
10-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Hey guys .... in the process of putting away the PS 214 for the winter, but I need to ask if I am the only one afflicted with something ... this also used to happen to my 93 PS190.

First of all, I keep my boats inside the garage on the trailer year round and I am one of the guys that wipes the boat at the ramp and still trailers it home and washes it with a soft sponge on the driveway before putting it away.

I live here in Central Ohio and the hull and fiberglass always look good and I wax the boat about 2-3 times during the summer.

No water spots, nothing ... looks good .... and then at the end of July every year we go to Norris Lake (we love Norris have been going for 28+ years) I may go there 1 to 3 times a Summer until Labor Day depending on the kids schedules ... well ..

While at Norris, the boat stays in a slip behind the house ... 1 week in the water and I usually wipe it down in the evening but I do admit that sometimes I don't .... the water calls to me for a swim. Any how ...

When I get back from Norris .... I have water spots ... you can even run your hand over the hull and feel that the smooth is gone and has texture now .. the spots are usually towards the rear of the boat where the spray pattern of the running surfaces spray the side of the boat .... and usually along the waterline and just above towards the front of the boat.

They do not rub off, polish or wax don't work on them ..... even water spot remover (Meguiars) doesn't work ... I use Star-Brite hull cleaner to clean it off ... like it is some sort of marine growth and then the surface is smooth again and I re-wax.

Is this normal? I use Meguiars premium boat wax ... is there a different wax that will make this less of an issue? do I just need to live with it?

Any of you wise boaters for those TVA lakes have any wisdom for me? I can't imagine what a mess I would be if my boat spent the entire summer on a lift down there.

Sorry ... I'll be in the garage finishing my waxing for the fall.

Peace.

coz
10-25-2008, 11:56 AM
We have it real bad here and it's always the areas where the spots dry quick, like the rear and above the w-line. I have black so it's a bear and Lime-Away seems to do the trick.

03 35th Anniversary
10-25-2008, 12:04 PM
I have had this problem with some of the places I have been.

I use Meguiars Quick Detailer, it seems to work in most cases.

But I was told that vineger and water is one of the best thing for this problem, I am going to give that a try next season.

I also heard baby wipes work real well.....

Just some ideas for you....

bigmac
10-25-2008, 12:22 PM
It's normal, given the circumstances you describe. The only thing I've found that helps manage water spotting is hull preparation that minimizes their adherence. In that regard, the best thing I've found is using RejeX (http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html) once (or twice a year) instead of wax.

http://www.rejex.com/gifs/Rejex.jpg

No Skeez
10-25-2008, 12:32 PM
When you wipe the boat down, are you just toweling it off? Spray the entire surface first with a mixture of 15% - 20% white vinegar to tap water. By cutting the acidity of the vinegar down with the tap water, you aren't stripping too much wax off, but yet it's still strong enough to cut through the water spots. I keep a milk crate in the back of my truck with two spray bottles pre mixed, enough towels for everyone to help, as well as a bottle of 303 protectant and some other cleaners. If the boat is going to sit in the water for a week or so, I'd spray it down and wipe it off every night to keep the water spots from building up.

Hope that helps!

TOO-TALL
10-25-2008, 03:21 PM
50/50 water and vinegar mixed in a spray bottle.Spray the boat down after pulling out of the water then wipe down.Works like charm.

WTRSK1R
10-25-2008, 06:22 PM
It's normal, given the circumstances you describe. The only thing I've found that helps manage water spotting is hull preparation that minimizes their adherence. In that regard, the best thing I've found is using RejeX (http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html) once (or twice a year) instead of wax.

http://www.rejex.com/gifs/Rejex.jpg

BigMac, This sounds like an interesting product. The web site indicates there is no need to wax over this. Does this replace the need for wax for you, or do you still wax over it from time to time? Is twice a year adequate?

Steve

Sodar
10-25-2008, 07:38 PM
We have really hard water here too. I used a 50/50 mix of Distilled White Vinegar and Distilled Water. You will need to wax the boat a little more often, but it will knock out the waterspots.

Blair
10-25-2008, 10:17 PM
1/3 vinegar to water in a spray bottle... we are in an extremely "hard" lake and a black boat, water spots are a constant fight... the vinegar and helps me out alot

clevan
10-27-2008, 07:39 AM
We have used shower cleaner made for fiberglass showers for years. Spray it down at the ramp and wipe it down. Seems to work well.

bigmac
10-27-2008, 07:47 AM
BigMac, This sounds like an interesting product. The web site indicates there is no need to wax over this. Does this replace the need for wax for you, or do you still wax over it from time to time? Is twice a year adequate?

Steve
I apply RejeX once a year, when the boat is winterized. I've never waxed it. It would probably work even better if I did apply it twice a year or more, but the boat sits on a lift all summer and I don't have the opportunity. I do occasionally clean up the top deck (that I can reach) of dust using one of those silicone wipe-on/wipe-off products (Meguiars or Turtle Wax). Water spotting hasn't been a problem for me despite the fact that our lake water is pretty hard, this being iron mining country and all. They wipe right off.

Muttley
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
A good wax before holidays and itf the vinegar doesn't work:

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm

dsoby
10-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Muttley, have you actually used CLR?

russlars
10-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I have had great success with these two products:
The cleaner is essential to thorougly clean the surface and remove hard water spots followed up by the wax. I leave my boat in the water for much of the summer and it is part black. When I took it out of the water this fall it cleaned up easily, still beads water and no water spots. The last waxing was last spring.

Muttley
10-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Muttley, have you actually used CLR?

Yep. Use it when I get too many water spots. Wipes them right away. It's heaven for cleaning up a black boat.

baedriver
10-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Babes boat products has a hard water spot remover. I just winterized and used this to clean it up for the winter. Make sure you wax after use. Whatever wax is on the boat before you apply will be gone. This works very well!

hope this helps