PDA

View Full Version : Carpet

jsonova99
05-05-2005, 07:36 AM
I am considering replacing the carpet in my boat because it is flat out nasty. I only want to replace the general walking area though. Up under the bow and in the side panels is fine, just needs a godd cleaning but everyhting else is stained and worn. How hard of a job is this? guess I'm talking about starting back at the gas tank and moving forward up to the spotter seat frame and kick panel on the driver side. I'm also curious where to get good carpet and what kind of glue to use? I hvae a '91 PS190 so anybody who has done a similar year I'd love to know about your experience. I'm hoping that this is a weekend job with minimal disassembly of the interior.

Ski-A-Rees
05-05-2005, 07:41 AM
I have an 89 PS 190 and I have already pulled all the carpet and need advice on how to replace it as well.

erkoehler
05-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Hey, post some pics of the boat while you are carpeting.

jsonova99
05-05-2005, 08:41 AM
I have an 89 PS 190 and I have already pulled all the carpet and need advice on how to replace it as well.

Are you doing the whole boat or just the area that I described. I don't want to mess with the carpet up under the bow because it is in good shape, and my carpet is the side panels is good, too. Actually, I guess I could use the old carpet that I rip out as templates for new carpet.

wesgardner
05-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Hey All,

I too am looking at replacing some carpet...boatcarpetonline.com is a source I've ordered some samples thru---haven't received them yet...they apparently also have glue.

There've been some discussions on this and I've posted in the Appearance section. My concern is the operable deck/floor openings and having the carpet not be too tight allowing smooth operation...my ski locker, although 15 years old, is still a bit stiff and I'm not sure I want to "modify" the opening just yet (locker lid is alu. and opening is 'glass. My removable deck/floor panels also fit quite snuggly

The repair seems to go like this - remove as much "furniture" as you can (or as much as you are willing), scrape/sand/whatever the old carpet completely out, clean up what's left, I'll use acetone as a final prep.. lay carpet in starting from center and working outboard, cut to fit, pull back up and glue 'er down. Some of my edges will need to be bound at a carpet store as they finish directly on fiberglass up rights (this is how the factory did it on my boat) other edges can be "buried"...

Any other help will be...helpfull

Wes