PDA

View Full Version : M.C. parts nightmare

Old footr
10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
It's that time again to put the boat away, local dealer in Calgary Alberta is Martin equipment (John Deere dealer and Mastercraft!!) Go figure!! I go to get oil,filter etc. I ask for a fuel filter and was given a spark arrestor!! when I said this isn't what I asked for I was told "there''s a guy with a 93 and he goes to a auto parts store" End of story takes my money and see ya!!

My concerns are how does a potential dealer get to be a dealer!! put up the money and here you go?? This group has no business selling a quality boat like Mastercraft and the service is something to be desired 2 years ago I took my boat in and when I went to pick it up a week later it was still sitting there hadn't been touched after I called to say I was coming to pick it up. They called me as I was pulling into there lot to tell me it wasn't "quite ready yet" They said they would put a rush on it and said it would be 3 days after the forth day they hadn't called so guess what I called them. Oh yea your the guy with the 205!! Our tech has been busy( sorry) blah blah

I love the boats no question but finding a good dealer and support are key. OK I feel better for venting. Can't wait for spring

03 35th Anniversary
10-24-2008, 11:00 PM
But in the coffee table book MC seemed to be very proud of them for selling both tractors and boat.....

brianpt
10-25-2008, 01:39 AM
i find myself feel about the same way about the one in edmonton but find that the albertant way over work and under staff but they do try and what choice have you got thats what alberta hase for mastercraft dealer

Jerseydave
10-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Might be worth it for you to start a relationship with another dealer for parts, have them shipped to you. (When we had no local dealer here I called MYMC and Sterling Marine for my parts, excellent service in both cases).

Might be good to do as much repair/maint work yourself too, or find a good marine service shop that works on inboards.

To MC's credit, I think the shoddy dealers are slowly being weeded out being replaced by dealers who want to project the high-end image that is MASTERCRAFT! (Nice showrooms, more inventory, overall more professionalism).

Jim@BAWS
10-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Sorry for what happened to you

I have personally fowarded the info to get to Martin Equipment

I hope that they resolve your problem ASAP

Jim@BAWS

atlfootr
10-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Might be worth it for you to start a relationship with another dealer for parts, have them shipped to you. This is definitely some good advice!
Lots of folks here including myself, have had SUPER positive results w/ RAMBO MARINE.
http://www.rambomarine.com/

In fact, I have written many threads on them complementing the personally service received from both their parts and service departments. Ask for Lex.

This I took off their "Testimonial Page" ... http://www.rambomarine.com/testimonials/index.php
I guess I'm not the only one that feels this way about them.
READ ON ...

Richard Bean
2008-03-13

Lex is the VERY BEST at what he does.
I just wanted to take a minute to express to you how much I enjoy buying my Master Craft parts & accessories from Lex Pearson. Lex is always pleasant to work with & he knows his business very well. I know that we have built a wonderful business friendship over the last couple of years. Lex is the VERY BEST at what he does. He is always friendly & just has the Greatest Attitude every time I talk with him to order parts. I have sent many Arkansas Master Craft owners to Lex for their part needs & he always makes me look like a hero after they deal with him. I just wanted to take the time to tell you how much I enjoy doing business with your company & most of all your parts dept. because of Lex!!!!! Thanks & have a Great day.

Richard Bean

P.S. If not them, use BAWS!

TMCNo1
10-25-2008, 11:30 AM
This is definitely some good advice!
Lots of folks here including myself, have had SUPER positive results w/ RAMBO MARINE.
http://www.rambomarine.com/

In fact, I have written many threads on them complementing the personally service received from both their parts and service departments. Ask for Lex.

This I took off their "Testimonial Page" ... http://www.rambomarine.com/testimonials/index.php
I guess I'm not the only one that feels this way about them.
READ ON ...

Richard Bean
2008-03-13

Lex is the VERY BEST at what he does.
I just wanted to take a minute to express to you how much I enjoy buying my Master Craft parts & accessories from Lex Pearson. Lex is always pleasant to work with & he knows his business very well. I know that we have built a wonderful business friendship over the last couple of years. Lex is the VERY BEST at what he does. He is always friendly & just has the Greatest Attitude every time I talk with him to order parts. I have sent many Arkansas Master Craft owners to Lex for their part needs & he always makes me look like a hero after they deal with him. I just wanted to take the time to tell you how much I enjoy doing business with your company & most of all your parts dept. because of Lex!!!!! Thanks & have a Great day.

Richard Bean

P.S. If not them, use BAWS!

We have met Richard Bean several times over the years at MC events. He is one stand-up guy, and one of the most enthusiastic, detailed and knowledgable boat owners we've ever met. Richard knows his MasterCrarfts, the company, dealers and when Richard speaks, people should listen!

Scott
10-25-2008, 11:49 AM
We have met Richard Bean several times over the years at MC events. He is one stand-up guy, and one of the most enthusiastic, detailed and knowledgable boat owners we've ever met. Richard knows his MasterCrarfts, the company, dealers and when Richard speaks, people should listen!

AGREED!!!! I spend most of the summer around richard (and occasionally partake in beverage with him)....A dear friend and everything said is true and then some!!!!

TMCNo1
10-25-2008, 12:14 PM
AGREED!!!! I spend most of the summer around richard (and occasionally partake in beverage with him)....A dear friend and everything said is true and then some!!!!

I haven't talked to Richard in a couple years, just got his phone # from Lex @ Rambo and if his voice mail message is any indication, he hasn't changed one bit! I can't wait to talk to him!
I've had the priviledge of judging his 1993 25th Anniversary ProStar 190 Stars and Stripes and truck in the Tow Rig Class twice and several of his former boats that others own, but we've never had the chance to compete against him at a reunion. It wouldn't have mattered who won, if anything, just the fact we tried to BS each other to the point of tears from the laughter.
When you get the chance, get him to tell you about getting stopped by a TN State Trooper in Vonore for speeding after a reunion! You'll crack up!

Scott
10-25-2008, 04:36 PM
I haven't talked to Richard in a couple years, just got his phone # from Lex @ Rambo and if his voice mail message is any indication, he hasn't changed one bit! I can't wait to talk to him!
I've had the priviledge of judging his 1993 25th Anniversary ProStar 190 Stars and Stripes and truck in the Tow Rig Class twice and several of his former boats that others own, but we've never had the chance to compete against him at a reunion. It wouldn't have mattered who won, if anything, just the fact we tried to BS each other to the point of tears from the laughter.
When you get the chance, get him to tell you about getting stopped by a TN State Trooper in Vonore for speeding after a reunion! You'll crack up!

WILL DO!!!!

Old footr
10-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Thank You Jim and everyone else for your responses, I will find another dealer to get the Right parts and my son and I are doing our own winterizing for the second time. Last year we waited for an entire Alberta winter to see if we got it right!! She started right up this spring and ran flawlessly all season.

This time we'll take photo's in an attempt to help other owners and post the pics. And as a bonous I can recall what we did. Getting Older I can hide my own Easter eggs!!

Anyway I wish you all a great off(uggggh) season.

Thanks once again for everyones help and suggestions

Jonathan94
10-26-2008, 02:24 AM
I have gotten the run around a couple of times from Martin Eqpt also, but found Rayburn's in Kelowna (http://rayburns.mastercraft.com/) and have ordered some things from them and talked to their technicians a few times. Even though I called from Edmonton, they were very helpful, only asking that I stop by next time I was in the area.

SchuyHigh
10-26-2008, 09:57 PM
It's that time again to put the boat away, local dealer in Calgary Alberta is Martin equipment (John Deere dealer and Mastercraft!!) Go figure!! I go to get oil,filter etc. I ask for a fuel filter and was given a spark arrestor!! when I said this isn't what I asked for I was told "there''s a guy with a 93 and he goes to a auto parts store" End of story takes my money and see ya!!

My concerns are how does a potential dealer get to be a dealer!! put up the money and here you go?? This group has no business selling a quality boat like Mastercraft and the service is something to be desired 2 years ago I took my boat in and when I went to pick it up a week later it was still sitting there hadn't been touched after I called to say I was coming to pick it up. They called me as I was pulling into there lot to tell me it wasn't "quite ready yet" They said they would put a rush on it and said it would be 3 days after the forth day they hadn't called so guess what I called them. Oh yea your the guy with the 205!! Our tech has been busy( sorry) blah blah

I love the boats no question but finding a good dealer and support are key. OK I feel better for venting. Can't wait for spring

Maybe the problem is the influence of the JohnDeere side of the dealership. If it were a CATERPILLAR/MC combo......no we are talking! Sorry, but CAT pays the bills around here.

03 35th Anniversary
10-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Maybe the problem is the influence of the JohnDeere side of the dealership. If it were a CATERPILLAR/MC combo......no we are talking! Sorry, but CAT pays the bills around here.

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!

John Deere is just a fad/clothing line...... CAT gets the job done..... 8p

NeilM
10-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Agree with Jonathan 94. I get all my parts from Rayburns in Kelowna. In fact, I get my major service done there (Rayburns Calgary doesn't carry MC because Martin's does) as well (just the 400 mile drive is a PITA). There's a reason Rayburns is on the the "Top 100 Dealer's" list published by Boating Industry. [You just have to remind them from time to time when they're shipping from BC to Alberta that the goods need to be shipped BC tax exempt.]

If you're stuck and you need someone "local", it's worth the drive to Alberta Marine in Nanton, IMHO. They don't sell MC, but they do know how to service boats.

Good Luck

Marcos
10-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Sorry to tell you this guys, but the root of the problem lies in the "american way". The factory's, not only MC, have no loyalty to their sellers. It's just he who sells most, gets the dealership / distributor (abroad). I have seen this happen to a friend of mine was for years the biggest CC distributor in Europe. New players came to the market and started ordering CC's through the "grey area". These players where no boat people but just business men, so no service no parts, just new boats. Eventually they sold more new boats than the official distributor. There you go, distributorship gone. The factory went to the other party in the blink of an eye.
Same goes for the MC distributor in the same area.

Loyalty and a quality dealer / distributor are of no importance; sales are.

JohnE
10-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry to tell you this guys, but the root of the problem lies in the "american way".

Loyalty and a quality dealer / distributor are of no importance; sales are.

I truly don't think that is MC's way of thinking. But if they aren't making sales, does anything/ everything else matter?

I was on vacation this summer and blew an exhaust hose. I was not too worried because there was a MC dealer in the same town. I show up there and the parts guy says, "Um, we don't stock that, it's kind of expensive. $280 for 12 feet" I don't think it's just a coincidence that they lost the franchise recently.

I think MC cares more than some of these dealers care.

MSOUCY-TT
10-27-2008, 05:14 PM
I don't want to answer for the others canadians dealers but there is a tricky way for us to keep parts in stock. I made my booking last year at the same time with a different value in the exercise. I was receiving 1.06$US for 1$ Can. My order was pretty big. I am now placing a order for the same amount in US but which will cost me a big 35% more just base on the currency exchange. My same 1$ now worth only 0.77$ US... This is not explaining the "nightmare" but it is that way that I am explaining why sometime we are short in a specific part that is not consider as a "fast moving".

On the other hand, I have lost quit a significant numbers of sales exactly one year ago from close US dealer(if you consider 500 miles close!)because of the "weakness" of the US dollar back then. But this is turning around now. I just sold a PS 190 2008 LY6 for 44K Can. That will be a 35700$ US( 44K/1.27) deal before freight and states tax !!! In 2003, everyone from Vermont, NewYork or any close states liked to come to Montreal for a "half price week-end" since the US$ was 1,57$ Can !!!

Anyway, if anyone is looking for a PS 190 00@22k $Can(22k$/1.27= 17300 $ US!!!) or a X-1 06, X-1 07, X-1 08 DEMO or a X-2 06, then just pm me. I also have a CSX 07 Demo for 67Kcan...

Michel

JohnE
10-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Michel,

Interesting read on the US/ Can dollar ratios.

But on what's the ratio for fuel filter vs spark arrestor as in the OP?:D Just kidding.

I heard we were in Vonore at the same time a few weeks ago, I was hoping to run into you, but things were a bit hectic that day.:)

MSOUCY-TT
10-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I am back there on december-3, I hope it will be a better weather than we had 3 weeks ago!!! Even though that I sold my 3 boats.

You are right that currency exchange changing by a lot every day is making some deal hard to do. Actually, ordering a boat for a customer is now like going to Vegas and gamble on the dollar value. Back in 03( 1.57 can = 1 US), I sold my Tournament Team boat(ps190) 54k Can at the end of the summer. My customer was here last week and became "bezerk" when he saw my ps 190 08 @ 44KCanadian ! Can you imagine that the value of your boat shrinked by 10K over 5 years, and that is without the depreciation.
Worse case for a canadian customer was to trade-in a 1993 in 2003. Then, let say that PS190 93 cost around 25k Can back then. You wait 10 years to change your boat and then the salesman is saying to you that those boats are not loosing value down the line. So I am giving you 20K in trade, 5k for 10 years, what a deal!!! But the new boat is twice the price...base on what ? That NAFTA(North-American Free Trade aggreement) deal that Obama wants to kill should have been the first step to the AMERO $

alletric
10-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I truly don't think that is MC's way of thinking. But if they aren't making sales, does anything/ everything else matter?

I was on vacation this summer and blew an exhaust hose. I was not too worried because there was a MC dealer in the same town. I show up there and the parts guy says, "Um, we don't stock that, it's kind of expensive. $280 for 12 feet" I don't think it's just a coincidence that they lost the franchise recently.

I think MC cares more than some of these dealers care.

If you figure the boat cost 55,000, 280 doesn't sound expensive in comparison. Guess that is the point of why they lost it.

soot_ca
10-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Hey guys...not sure what is going on with your reltionship with Martin Equipment. I have bought a couple of boats from them now. One from Edmonton and one from Calgary. Great service and respect for the product! Plus knowledgable staff.

A happy Martin Customer!

JohnE
10-29-2008, 09:28 AM
If you figure the boat cost 55,000, 280 doesn't sound expensive in comparison. Guess that is the point of why they lost it.

That was my thought exactly. I was dumbfounded. But MYMC had my back and was going to overnight me the hoses.:cool: Fortunately the local Supra/ Moomba dealer didn't think it was too expensive to stock and I got back on the water that day.

JohnE
10-29-2008, 09:32 AM
I am back there on december-3, I hope it will be a better weather than we had 3 weeks ago!!! Even though that I sold my 3 boats.

Unless it is snowing, the weather will be better than that!:D Glad you made the sales that day. Going back for round 2, great. :cool: I was going to ask Norm where you were just to say hi, but with the large group we had everything took so long....

MSOUCY-TT
10-29-2008, 06:20 PM
My round 2 will be with four customers but I will face a major problem for my customers: The boats in stock at the factory worth around 20% more then the ones in stock from the last month( Remember the currency exchange !!!). As a example, I sold a PS 197 09 solid white today that I had in stock. The guy wanted a black boat but it turn out to be a 10K$ "option" since that is roughly my difference in price between the beginning of October and today. So I will go there for moving my inventory that I paid at a better rate.

I have a PS 190 00, PP,heater,shower, cover predator 275Hres that I am sitting on since June. My 22K Canadian seems to be to much money here but I do believe that is around 17k US now(400$ cheaper the Tuesday!)...May be I should post a picture! ( And how far is PS205 from Montreal ?)

Michel

Michael Epp
10-29-2008, 07:03 PM
I also want to speak in support of Martin Motor Sports; I deal with the Edmonton store; I'm on my second MC (first an X-10 and now an X-15); they have really taken good care of me; sure there have been a couple of minor mix ups...but nothing serious (e.g. trying to source the correct oil filter for my X-15...there appeared to be some confusion at MC in the first year of the LY6 engine); I believe they are now the largest or one of the largest tournament boat dealers around....so tremendous growth...with that comes some challenges, but they are responding (currently building a completely dedicated boat shop (sales, service, parts, accessories).

Jonathan94
10-31-2008, 12:45 AM
Sorry - my post sounds more negative than it was intended. Most of the issues I had were a number of years ago when they were first starting up and I will agree the service and knowledge base have definately been improving. Fortunately, I haven't had anything major happen for a while so I haven't had to use them much - just little stuff which they have been on top of.

The intent of my email was not to slam Martin's but rather give props to Rayburn's - a dealer who helped me out when I needed it.

However, I can't wait until they have a dedicated boat parts department - there is just something about waiting to talk to someone about my boat while listening to the parts guy talk to an old farmer from Two Hills about his crops that doesn't give a vote of confidence.

acornellier
11-04-2008, 02:08 PM

Call Bay Area Watersports.813-996-2297.Ask for Jim or Chuck.They will take care of you and give you a very good deal.They are the best.They have just about everything you would need,and if they don't have it,they will find it.

JimN
11-04-2008, 02:39 PM
"The intent of my email was not to slam Martin's"

Kind of late for this, isn't it?

There's a really cool concept called 'editing' which helps to convey one's thoughts without making the readers interpret your post one way when you find that you mean something else in hindsight. :D

The fact that someone discusses someone else's crop and works at the parts counter doesn't mean they can't know what parts do what, when they'll be in and how much they cost. I have dealt with too many parts counter people who didn't have a clue about what they sell to think that they aren't the rule, rather than the exception. If the parts guy is a farmer, too, I would bet they can fix just about anything and that makes them a lot more qualified than a lot of people who only work at a parts counter. Most of the time, it's just people who have a job, collect their pay and go home without caring about how well they do their job, one way or another. Did you bother to ask the parts guy some questions that would help to indicate their knowledge?

JimN
11-04-2008, 02:47 PM
"So I am giving you 20K in trade, 5k for 10 years, what a deal!!! But the new boat is twice the price...base on what ? That NAFTA(North-American Free Trade agreement) deal that Obama wants to kill should have been the first step to the AMERO $"

So labor, facility, parts, materials and development/design costs haven't increased in 10 years? EVERYTHING costs more now. Increased energy costs alone probably count for 20% of the increase. 10 years ago, they didn't have an 02 sensor or catalytic converter and those aren't cheap. Environmental costs on hazardous materials are constantly going up and insurance is always a drain on finances.

Maybe you want them to import them from China, eh?

Boarder15
11-22-2008, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=Old footr;551571]It's that time again to put the boat away, local dealer in Calgary Alberta is Martin equipment (John Deere dealer and Mastercraft!!) Go figure!! I go to get oil,filter etc. I ask for a fuel filter and was given a spark arrestor!! when I said this isn't what I asked for I was told "there''s a guy with a 93 and he goes to a auto parts store" End of story takes my money and see ya!!QUOTE]

ok in ur defence the intank fuel filter, on newer boats, does look similar to a spark arrestor but it is a fiel filter. on the older style boats that use a inline fuel filter its just a general gm filter as far as my past history with boats go

as far as martin equipment goes..they are a great dealer! i have been dealing with them for a couple years now and sales, parts and service have done nothing but show me respect and try to share their knowledge with me!