PDA

View Full Version : Continous Battery Draw on 2008 PS214

rolf_eckert
10-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Hello All,

I was wondering if anybody has the same problem or could help me with an unexplained battery draw on my 2008 PS214. The battery is dead within 4-5 days even when the ignition is off and now switches are left on at all. The battery continously draws and nobody can locate the source of the draw.

Does anybody else have the same issue? Any suggestions where to look for the source of the draw?

Thanks for your help.

TMCNo1
10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
If it's an '08, I believe I'd be contacting my dealer.

dsoby
10-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Ditto what TMC says. Sounds like a short to me.

Sodar
10-24-2008, 05:18 PM
My buddy complains of this exact thing on his X-14. I told him I would come take a peak at it this weekend. I will report back if I find anything...

BOATNGUYNE
10-24-2008, 05:43 PM
On one of our stock X-14's had the same problem..... We found that is was coming from the
breaker on were a MTS ballast switch would be located ( located all the way to the top of panel were the ballast switches are at ) Hope this help's !!

JohnE
10-24-2008, 06:36 PM
I have the same problem on my X14, but it takes close to a month to draw it low enough that it won't turn over. I've been meaning to chase it down, but haven't got around to it yet.

HDAVIS
10-24-2008, 08:12 PM
I had that problem once. It was the alternater. It was cover under the warrenty.

JohnE
10-24-2008, 08:14 PM
I had that problem once. It was the alternater. It was cover under the warrenty.

It's not the alternator when the battery is drawn down during the storage time. If it were the alternator, it would happen on the water.

OhioX14
10-24-2008, 08:30 PM
I had the same problem with my 2008 X14 last season. One week wouldn't do it but let it sit for two weeks and it wouldn't turn over. While the correct solution would be to track down the source my dealer replaced the battery and I had them install a master switch. When the boat is up on the lift I turn the master switch off, when it's kept in the water of course it stays on for the bilge pump. This worked well this year and gave me the peace of mind that the battery would always be at full charge when we arrived to use the boat.

cbryan70
10-24-2008, 09:53 PM
what happens if you get a flood on the lift floats away? Happens here all the time

OhioX14
10-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Small 500 acre private lake and my cove is only 4 feet deep. The dam would breach and overflow before my boat floats away from a flood. The bigger risk is a cable breaking when I'm not there, the boat floating away, and assuming it floods somehow, the bilge pump not being able to run since my master switch is off. It's a risk but a very remote one (knock on wood).

Jim@BAWS
10-25-2008, 09:23 AM
If your boat has VDIG...there is a slight miliamp draw. There is plans in the works
to reprogram V-Dig for a much smaller draw. If you don't have V-Dig. Check your
switches to insure that they are in the correct position. This can also be elimated if
you turn your batteries OFF when not in use. Postion 1 when they are in use.
Also the CLOCK on the stereo can be a draw

Hope this helps

Jim@BAWS

JimN
10-25-2008, 09:43 AM
If you can use, or have, a multi-meter, set it to Current, remove the battery Positive cable and connect the meter in series (one probe on the cable end and one on the battery post). If you see about 300mA, disconnect the charging lead from the alternator. If the draw stops, your alternator has a problem (the bridge rectifier) and since it's under warranty, the dealer can take care of it.

If this isn't the cause and some new accessory has been installed recently, look at how it was installed, especially if the problem didn't exist before.

The memory/clock on the stereo should only draw about 15mA and shouldn't discharge the battery in such a short time, although it is possible that either there's a problem with a device or moisture has gotten into something.

93Prostar190
10-25-2008, 11:37 AM
My PS214 does not show those symptoms, I do not have the VDIG installed on mine ... I did notice during one of my trips this summer that in a period of high humidity (during the week at Norris it rained on the boat a few times) ... on an evening run the circuit breaker for the blower and lights kept tripping ....

After some digging I found some of the wires behind the dash were not as cleanly wired as they should have been and I believe the humidty cause a small short ... I cleaned up the connections like they should be and re-dressed the cables and the problem was solved.

I would check your dash wiriing (or have your dealer do it) and look a few connections which may not pass the quality test ... I bet you find your problem .... also ... check that nothing is causing a problem at the battery .... since the battery is under the observers seat it may have been bumped by the use of that storage compartment.

Do you have the extra JL Amp installed? if so ... scrutinize those connections as well.

Just my $0.02