PDA

View Full Version : will points help?

87MCProstar
10-24-2008, 10:01 AM
im still having electrical issues, coil getting super hot while running and not letting boat restart after warmed up. the marina i brought the boat wants to take e.i. module out becasue it keeps burning out and put points back in. will this get rid of the issues or is this a band aid where they are just trying to get more $ out of me. thanks for any info

flipper
10-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Most people here get away from points soon as they can. I'd say there's another issue some where.

88 PS190
10-24-2008, 10:26 AM
I would check all your grounds/connections for corrosion, maybe pull the coil and have it bench tested, its the reason I personally haven't converted my boat to electronic ignition. Harder to diagnose.

Is your electronic ignition actually burning out frequently? If so points cost alot less than an ignition module, but this is very rare.

clevan
10-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Here is a thread for a similar problem. I seem to remember reading through several threads related to coil heating problems and whether or not the ballast resistor is required after conversion to breakerless ignition. I would check with the manufacturer of the module and see if they recommend the use of the ballast resistor.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26090&highlight=coil

TMCNo1
10-24-2008, 11:41 AM
im still having electrical issues, coil getting super hot while running and not letting boat restart after warmed up. the marina i brought the boat wants to take e.i. module out becasue it keeps burning out and put points back in. will this get rid of the issues or is this a band aid where they are just trying to get more $ out of me. thanks for any info

I would have them make sure the kit is/was installed per the instructions, bypassing the ballast resistor if necessary, checking the resistance and installing a 12V coil if recommended. I've been running a Prestolite EI kit now for 4 years with no problems.

87MCProstar
10-24-2008, 01:54 PM
yeah thats what i figured with above posts. they are making me REALLY nervous

454Prostar190
10-24-2008, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=TMCNo1;551390]I would have them make sure the kit is/was installed per the instructions, bypassing the ballast resistor if necessary, checking the resistance and installing a 12V coil if recommended.

I agree and my first thought was a ballast resistor.

Hunterb
10-31-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't know why there would still be a ballast resistor in there if it's converted to EI. I think the only purpose of a resistor is to knock the voltage down to prolong the life of the points. No points, then no point in a ballast resistor, and that's my only point.

Sorry, it's late...on Friday.

Bruce

phickman
10-31-2008, 08:31 PM
I bought an 1986 Prostar at a bargain that had been converted to EI and wired incorrectly and it had an over heating coil. It would start fine, run fine, but you would need a tow if you shut off after a set and getting warm (coil hot like a stove eye). The previous owner just got real tired of it and put it up for sale after dealing with it a couple of seasons. The wiring to the ballast resistor and the coil was not right. I looked around internet and found a pcm 351 wiring diagram and confirmed the wiring for the EI. I ended up reconnecting the wiring properly from the distributor to the coil and the ballast resistor. I also added a small jumper to the posts of the ballast resistor as indicated on the PCM diagram. I have had 27 trouble free ski/pleasure hours on the boat after this correction. Hope this helps. Check Correct Craft Fan, they have alot of pcm knowledge posted.

Paul

phickman
11-02-2008, 01:28 AM
Here is the diagram that I checked the EI wiring against and found the problem. I hope you can find your issue and enjoy your boat. Paul

Hunterb
11-02-2008, 01:16 PM
That looks like it should work. Nice diagram. I think the ballast resistor just becomes a junction box once you put the jumper wire in place.

Hopefully that will fix the hot no/start issue.

Bruce

TRBenj
11-03-2008, 09:17 AM
I drew that diagram. I would NOT recommend following it blindly. Follow the instructions included in the EI kit as to whether or not to bypass the resistor. In my experience, the Prestolite/PCM kit usually has you bypass the resistor, while Pertronix kits will vary. It is also important to match the coil to the module. Again, I recommend that anyone installing EI follow the instructions in their specific kit.

phickman
11-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for taking the time to draw this out even if it was for general purposes. It was a blessing that helped me fix somebody else's screw up. I give you full credit for my 27 hours of trouble free pleasure in my 86 Prostar. It is a nice and very different boat than my Ski Nautique 2001 which I love as well. I live out my childhood fantasies with one of each manufacturer. Once I again I appreciate your expertise and give you full credit.

Regards,

Paul