PDA

View Full Version : FIOS Fiber Optic Internet Service

Ryan
05-05-2005, 01:48 AM
I just got hooked up last friday. It is smokin' fast! Especially for upload/downloading. My 10mb work files used to take 5 minutes with DSL, now it takes close to 3 seconds! $5 extra/month over DSL, and free install.

If...more like when you get the chance, do it. The potential bandwidth will take the internet to new places. And, at least here in So CA there will be a mandetory migration in '06-'07 anyway. I have heard and read that a lot of mid-america towns that don't have broadband will get it through fiber first.

Why? Copper lines are too costly to repair and let me tell ya splicing a 500 pair line ever 2000 feet ads a whole lot in labor cost. Fiber can run 14,000 feet before needing a "splice" (you don't really splice it, you bond the glass together). I have a new box on the outside of the house, a back-up battery inside and a power coverter hooked up to a 110 outlet all to run the outside box.

TV is coming in a couple of months on it for me too. Now I'll get done with work sooner and have more time on TT!

erkoehler
05-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Glad to hear you'll be spending more time w/ us! Or, on the water for that matter. :D

6ballsisall
05-07-2005, 09:15 AM
That sounds pretty sweet Ryan! Something tells me here in the good ole' Midwest we will be waiting for a while. When it comes to technology the midwest is usually a little behind the power curve :rolleyes:

NatesGr8
05-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Hey I don't want to start an arguement or anything, but it's not because the fiber optics are easier to splice or cheaper to repair. It's just because they kick a$$. In actuality everything about fiber optics are more expensive; the repair, the initial setup, and the repeater stations, although fewer are still more expensive. However the speed capabilities and numerious data streams that can flow through a fiberoptic are endless. You can have an almost infinate number of internet, phone, and tv signals all on a single fiber optic cable, hence the change. Congradulations on the upgrade, i will be anxiously awaiting it over here on the east coast.