PDA

View Full Version : Impeller?

axmir
08-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Does anyone recommend using a Teflon lubricant in the impeller housing after removing the impeller for the winter or just before replacing it in the spring? I heard this protects the impeller during initial start-up in the spring. If so what product would you recommend?

G-man
08-12-2004, 10:00 AM
go to a scuba store and get some food grade silicone grease. cover the impeller in a thin layer of grease and put in a zip lock for the winter. In the spring put some grease on the spline and inside of the housing then put the impeller back in. I will say if you put in a new impeller every spring the chance of over heat go way down. Some people do impellers only when they go out, I don't need the risk.

east tx skier
08-12-2004, 10:42 AM
They are so inexpensive, that I see no reason not to pull them at winterization, and put a new one in come springtime. George's solution sounds like the best advice, but in a pinch, I've heard that dish soap will get it to slide in. Anyone know if there are any negative ramifications of this method, assuming you're going to run some water through it right away (so the soap's not going to be sitting there in contact with the rubber on the impeller for long).

betsy&david Harrison
08-12-2004, 10:50 AM
dish soap works great when we change ours every year. Not supposed to use it on our lake...but what they don't know won't hurt 'em right?B

east tx skier
08-12-2004, 11:14 AM
This may be turning into the binding lube question, but with that in mind, I wonder if that clear wire-pulling lubricant would be a good solution?

X2Halr
08-12-2004, 07:10 PM
I agree with east tx skier if your going to pull it for winter may as well replace it with a new one before hitting the water in the new season..