PDA

View Full Version : LTR 330HP Parts

CRAIGTHEMAN
10-23-2008, 12:09 AM
hey guys i hope u can help me out with a problem that i have. well to make a long story short i have a 2000 Xstar with the LTR Motor in it. i messed it up and need to replace the motor in it. i talked to my local shop and the want 5000 for the motor and im not paying that. i can get a brand new GM marine long block with the vortec heads on it for 2500. my question is that did indmar change out there cam shaft from the factory GM motor or did they keep it the same???? if they do does anyone know the specs on the cam for the LTR block??? i want to make sure everything is perfect for next summer.

flipper
10-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Hit up JimN or Engine nut. One of them will probably be able to answer you

CRAIGTHEMAN
10-23-2008, 12:13 AM
HAHAHA! just sent him a pm

dummy
10-23-2008, 11:24 AM
The LTR is basically a GM LT-1 engine without the Optispark ignition. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but unless they changed it at Indmar the LTR shares the reverse cooling setup of the LT-1. The coolant goes through the heads first, then the block and not the block and then heads like a standard GM Gen I or Vortec engine. That's gonna be your biggest bummer in buying another long block and may be why the price is higher than you think it should be.

Wonder if you could swap to an earlier water pump setup which would allow you to run a regular GM 4-bolt main crate engine. As long as it has Vortec heads the intake/injection will bolt on. Goodwrench has a GM Vortec truck long block with a 2-bolt main, Vortec heads, and 9.6:1 compression for $1,700 or so. Here it is: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL%2D12568758&autoview=sku . It's a bummer it's not 4-bolt main, but if you swapped the cam to the same one the LTR comes with I'd doubt your computer would know the difference.

(edit - Just looked and I'm not certain those are Vortec heads on that truck engine. You get the idea, though)

CRAIGTHEMAN
10-23-2008, 04:07 PM
even if it is a reverse cooling system wouldnt all the acc. of the motor cause it to reverse cool?

dummy
10-23-2008, 05:11 PM
No - the water passages are different for LT-1/LT-4 heads.

x-10ron
10-23-2008, 06:00 PM
ltr is a basic vortec engine used in the c/k trucks, differance is it has northstar ignition system, as far as the cam, i would call indmar, cam is problably exclusive to them. ltr and lt1 are 2 differant blocks, lt1 has a 6 bolt water pump and no coolant flows threw the intake.

CRAIGTHEMAN
10-24-2008, 11:05 AM
hey thanks x-10ron. do know if the ltr was standered rotaion or reverse. im pretty sure its standered

TMCNo1
10-24-2008, 12:58 PM
ltr is a basic vortec engine used in the c/k trucks, differance is it has northstar ignition system, as far as the cam, i would call indmar, cam is problably exclusive to them. ltr and lt1 are 2 differant blocks, lt1 has a 6 bolt water pump and no coolant flows threw the intake.

IIRC, Indmar has a contract with and orders the basic complete engine packages built by GM or whoever to their specifications, then marinizes the exterior of the crate engine with the proper marine components to be used in a boat. There may be some R&D and testing by Indmar with some test engines using different, cams, ignition systems, induction systems, exhaust to see what they need to have built to keep up with performance demands, but they normally don't do any internal engine work per say to the assembly line engines once they arrive from the manufacturer but ICBW.