PDA

View Full Version : Boat Lift/Boat House Pilings

JohnnyB
10-22-2008, 09:31 PM
OK, kicking around the idea of a piling mounted boat hoist and/or piling mounted boat house and pilings to guide/secure a floating dock. The river I'd be installing it on has about 4-5ft of muck/silt on top of bed rock.

Is there a do-it-yourself method to set up pilings.

One of my downstream neighbors did a permanent dock by welding 4" dia tubing to used telephone pole augers and then rigging up a T-bar to turn them in (picture four guys walking in a circle) and turning them in down to the bedrock, then filling them with concrete. I'm considering something similar but am looking for ideas.

The alternative is to pay 3K/ea to have a barge come in and drive pilings.....looking for yankee/redneck ingenuity here....

88 PS190
10-22-2008, 09:57 PM
What's the bottom of your lake like? Anyone else have them to ask how deep they had to go?

In theory you can use water pressure to help drive pilings under water, using a hose on a pipe to do the digging for you while pushing the piling down. But if you need to drive 10 feet down to hit bedrock good luck.

ckornutiak
10-22-2008, 11:15 PM
There are lots of ideas on this one.

One method is to get a 4" trash pump and reduce the discharge down to 1". Then you basically blast the mud away from the bottom of the piling and it gradually sinks into the mud. It works in some cases, but it's slow and you can get into a lot of trouble with DEP (Environmental Police) because it makes a BIG mess.

I went the other extreme and wound up building a floating pile driver (talk about redneck). I probably spent about 1K in materials, but a heck of a lot more time building and finding the mechanical parts. It works like a champ though and can drive a 12" piling 6' into anything. It might not be a bad way to go if you can get one or two people involved in the project. You can always turn around and sell it, or go into the pounding business on the side! The going rate around here (North East PA) is about $400/post. Your neighbors will bug the heck out of you until you pound posts in for them, trust me.

We moved into our new house and it doesn't have a dock. It's been a few years since "Big Mama" has been in action so it needed a little work to get it back together. The lake was too shallow and it was getting too late in the year to start on the new dock, but we'll be pounding in the spring for sure!!!! Ye haaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww.