PDA

View Full Version : Install Perfect Pass myself?

Jeff X-10
05-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Guys - I have a 2002 X-10 that did not come with perfect pass. I guess the previous owner tried to save a little on options. I can buy the Wakeboard Pro system for $1100 and try to install it myself or pay the dealership to do it. The total price at the dealership will come to around $1500+ parts, labor and tax. This is a pretty big dollar difference.

Has anyone installed this system themself? How tricky is it to hook the servo motor up to the throttle cable, run the cables from the module, etc? This install should be a little easier since the '02 comes with a pre-wired harness from the factory which supposedly means you don't have to drill a hole for the paddlewheel. Please let me know if it is worth it to let the dealership install it. Thanks a lot for the help.

Leroy
05-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Jeff; If you are somewhat mechanical you can certainly install it. The biggest scare is drilling to mount the paddle, which you already have. There was a PerfectPass group buy on this board earlier, if you search this board you will find the comments from many installs.

erkoehler
05-05-2005, 06:28 AM
When you do it, let us know how it goes. And take some photos.

oxmach
05-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Guys - I have a 2002 X-10 that did not come with perfect pass. I guess the previous owner tried to save a little on options. I can buy the Wakeboard Pro system for $1100 and try to install it myself or pay the dealership to do it. The total price at the dealership will come to around $1500+ parts, labor and tax. This is a pretty big dollar difference.

Has anyone installed this system themself? How tricky is it to hook the servo motor up to the throttle cable, run the cables from the module, etc? This install should be a little easier since the '02 comes with a pre-wired harness from the factory which supposedly means you don't have to drill a hole for the paddlewheel. Please let me know if it is worth it to let the dealership install it. Thanks a lot for the help.

Hi Jeff, I just put mine in on the weekend. Iíve an 02 X-7 so same basic set up. Like everything, it will take a few more minutes than you thought, but it is very straight forward. If you don't have a steel fish, I recommend one. Fishing the cable from the motor box to the dash was the longest part as it is completely blind, so an extra set of hand helps.
You will need to drop the upper foot panel, under the console to get at the harness. You will see a white plug basically hanging there.
To change out the speedo, you will need to pull the 3 plugs up by the windshield, and remove the two small screws one either side of the steering wheel. You will then be able to lift the whole console up and get access to the back of the speedo unit. One mine, I had a tough time getting the new clamp bracket on the posts as the gasket around the face of the PP control was holding it off the console. I compressed it as much as possible an that gave me enough threads to get the nuts on and snug.

Easy install, just take a few minutes extra. You will learn more about your boat in the process.
Greg

RackAtak
05-05-2005, 10:16 AM
I installed mine on my 2001 Prostar. The toughest part for me besides cutting a hole in my hull was getting the Perfect Pass cable and the original throttle cable adjusted properly with no play. I ended up moving the original throttle cable mounting point with all the holes in it to a different hole position and it worked great.

VERY simple install and like Greg said, getting the control wires to the module is challenging but not hard. My bilge hose runs to the front of the boat and is pretty stiff so in the abscence of a wire puller I ended up disconnecting the bilge hose, pulled it back through the hull and into the bilge, taped the control wires to the bilge hose and fed it back into position pulling the Perfect Pass control wires at the same time. Allow yourself about 3 hours. Good luck with the install.

PeteS
05-05-2005, 10:44 AM
It's quite a fun and simple install, Jeff. If you do a search on this board, you should find many posts and resources on the job -- it's been talked about often. Best of luck!

Ric
05-05-2005, 12:50 PM
It's quite a fun and simple install, Jeff. If you do a search on this board, you should find many posts and resources on the job -- it's been talked about often. Best of luck!
It's easy to do. Does yours already have a paddle wheel or maybe a paddle wheel port that's plugged? That'd be the only pucker point of the job is hole sawing thru the hull. The reast is step by step in the instructions.
Doug has a malibuowners.com link to a photo review of an install.

go for it and you'll even know your boat a little better from the experience.

BrianM
05-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Order your PP from Max at Skier to Skier www.skiertoskier.com (http://www.skiertoskier.com) great prices and the best customer service I have ever experienced. Do the install yourself. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined it should take you about 3 hours. Good luck.

rick s.
05-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Easy to do, did mine last year on my maristar 210. I have the 330 hp motor and the servo control install was a snap. The install manual didn't really cover connecting to the wiring loom to pick out the tach input, however a call to Perfect Pass cleard that up right away. Biggest thrill was cutting the hole for the speed transducer.

rodltg2
05-05-2005, 02:22 PM
i agree , max is good and helpfull. i dont know what the big deal is about cutting the hole. its pretty clear where to drill it. with the right drill bit its a snap.

wiltok
05-05-2005, 04:43 PM
OK - I am a little different than most of the people on this board. You probably spent over $30K (easily!) on the boat. What's another $400 to have it done professionally? If you are like me, you could probably do it but you also may screw it up (what's an extra 2 inch hole in the hull going to cost when you go to sell). I like to have it done right - that's just me....

rodltg2
05-05-2005, 04:50 PM
i dont see it as a money saving thing. i 'm just a little impatient and want to learn more about my boat. once i got my pp i did not want to wait another 2-3 weeks to use it.

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Rod, you hadn't posted when I was typing this. So it's not a direct response to your last post although I realize it looks like it could be.

If you choose to have it done professionally, just something to think about. (1) know your mechanic and his crew. As Rod will correctly point out, some are more qualified than others. (2) Shop around. It's a 2.5 hour job (according to Perfect Pass). It'll be less for you since you've already got the paddlewheel installed. That's what the fourth dealer I called quoted me (2.5 hours). That's less than $200 (add cost of gas to pull it there, which was cheaper two years ago when I pulled my boat 200 miles to have it done) (the mechanic was charging 80/hour in '03). I had my boat back the same day (Dealer works by appointment. I received the PP on Wednesday and had it installed by Saturday). I spent time with relatives 20 minutes from the dealer while it was being installed. Your situation may vary. I regret nothing.

wiltok
05-05-2005, 05:06 PM
When I bought mine - I contacted Schnitz and got a great deal. Brought it to the dealer and told them it was a gift and that I didn't want to install it myself ("my girlfriend didn't know any better! ";). They installed it for $70. while I waited (went to lunch) - drove home and was good to go!

Ric
05-05-2005, 05:16 PM
OK - I am a little different than most of the people on this board. You probably spent over $30K (easily!) on the boat. What's another $400 to have it done professionally? If you are like me, you could probably do it but you also may screw it up (what's an extra 2 inch hole in the hull going to cost when you go to sell). I like to have it done right - that's just me....

When I bought mine - I contacted Schnitz and got a great deal. Brought it to the dealer and told them it was a gift and that I didn't want to install it myself ("my girlfriend didn't know any better! ";). They installed it for $70. while I waited (went to lunch) - drove home and was good to go!

sounds like you got a bargain on the buy and the pp install on that 30k plus boat!

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Got mine from Schnitz, too. Those were the deal days, and they're over.

wiltok
05-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Are they over? I think I paid less than $1000 (maybe it was under $900) for the Wakeboard Pro. What happened to Shnitz and his deals?

Ric - yeah - I finagled a pretty good deal all around. But, if it would have been $400 - I would have paid it for peace of mind. I do my own oil changes, trans changes, lubrication and prop changes. But I have my dealer do the other stuff. If I was in a pinch, I could do some things. Last year I changed the ICM - which was actually pretty easy.

On my PWC, I do all my own maintenance. Since those things are a little less costly (and the local dealers suck), I don't see it as much of a risk.

RackAtak
05-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Obviously some of us were comfortable doing it, and some of us weren't or aren't. The directions clearly state step by step what needs to be done to get the thing working. What it comes down to is whether or not you are comfortable doing it yourself after reading the directions a few times and then reading them a couple more times.

In all honesty I am not really "mechanically" inclined, and I first called the closest dealer to me which was a Malibu dealer and 45 minutes away for an estimate to install it. They did not install Perfect Pass so I decided to tackle it on my own and as others have said, I really learned more about the workings of my boat in the process and I also know how to get the boat back to stock in the event (highly unlikely due to it's mechanical simplicity) that the Perfect Pass screws up sometime, somewhere in the middle of a lake and leaves me stranded.

I'm glad I did it myself and I went about it with the attitude that if I screwed something up, I would hook the trailer up and humbly bring it to a dealer that installs Perfect Pass. If you don't have to drill the hole there is really nothing to screw up during installation. No right or wrong answer, just what you are comfortable with. If anyone needs a hole drilled in their boat, give me a call. Once you have cut one, the rest are cake...especially on someone elses boat! :cool:

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 05:36 PM
For what rumors are worth, the deals were a little too good and he's not selling Perfect Pass anymore. Again, just rumor. It was a good deal though.

Ric
05-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Are they over? I think I paid less than $1000 (maybe it was under $900) for the Wakeboard Pro. What happened to Shnitz and his deals?

Ric - yeah - I finagled a pretty good deal all around. But, if it would have been $400 - I would have paid it for peace of mind. I do my own oil changes, trans changes, lubrication and prop changes. But I have my dealer do the other stuff. If I was in a pinch, I could do some things. Last year I changed the ICM - which was actually pretty easy.

On my PWC, I do all my own maintenance. Since those things are a little less costly (and the local dealers suck), I don't see it as much of a risk.
I don't yet know what asspain it is to do an oil change on my 197 but after doing my 190 once I decided to let the pro's do it (and all other pm) so I wouldn't throw any wrenches near the pretty gelcoat.
I had the same problem with golf clubs before realizing that golf wasn't my bag

Ric
05-05-2005, 05:40 PM
For what rumors are worth, the deals were a little too good and he's not selling Perfect Pass anymore. Again, just rumor. It was a good deal though.
Ya, that is what he had posted on his site, himself.

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 06:01 PM
According to what I'm told, if I didn't, for example, yank the dealer license or watch it happen, I can't talk about it without heavy qualifications. ;)

wiltok
05-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Ric,

I feel I've found a pretty easy method to an oil change - in fact I can change the oil on the lift without putting the boat on the trailer:

1) Buy a oil extractor - the Pela oil works best for me (others may work as well - but you will see in a minute why I prefer this one)
2) Unroute the drain hose towards the front of the engine - and remove the nut for the drain; make sure you keep the end of hose above the oil level in the engine (so it doesn't drain)
3) Remove the part of the oil extractor the goes into the dipstick (it's a pretty solid black rubber) - and (amazingly) what is left fits perfectly on the drain hose (with no leaks!!)
4) Drop the drain hose into the bilge and pump out the oil
5) Loosen oil filter - get a large ziploc, turn it inside out and remove the filter/bag as a unit (I usually put the ziplock/filter in another bag just to safe before I pull it out of the bilge)
6) Install filter/fill oil and you are done!
7) Have a beer or two (unless you are going to drive the boat!)

Rixter_69
07-08-2006, 12:16 PM
I've got an 04 MC X9 (209), does anyone know if I need to install the paddlewheel to install the PP? I don't know if I've got the nerve to actually drill a 2" hole in the bottom of my baby....

Any info would be helpful.

Ric
07-08-2006, 12:39 PM
I've got an 04 MC X9 (209), does anyone know if I need to install the paddlewheel to install the PP? I don't know if I've got the nerve to actually drill a 2" hole in the bottom of my baby....

Any info would be helpful.
do you ski or wakeboard?
You don't need the paddlewheel if you are not wakeboarding (if you sometimes wakeboard or kneeboard, you can use rpm mode in digital pro and never need the paddlewheel)
If you wakeboard mostly, then yes, you will want to drill the hole and install the paddlewheel.

I am not positive but I think 05 was when the prostars started arriving with the paddlewheel installed because of the new standard equipment mastercraft cruise control.

Rixter_69
07-08-2006, 01:43 PM
We Ski and ride, although our slalom sets have been limited to early mornings and the kids are all wakeboarding now, so we probably spend 75% of the time pulling wakeboarders. I was hoping that since it came with a stock speedo paddlewheel I could tap into that, but it doesn't look like that will work.

So it sounds like I need to quit being a wimp, bite the bullet, drill the hole and install the paddlewheel.

Thanks,

Ric
07-08-2006, 02:22 PM
if it came with a stock speedo paddlewheel, you should be able to either use that paddlewheel or use the hole in which that paddlewheel is in now. I think a phone call to perfect pass would be your best bet right now

Rixter_69
07-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Yup that's what I plan to do. I took a look at the existing PW and it looks like it should work, but I'll call Randy at PP to see what they think.

Thanks,

bigmac
07-09-2006, 12:11 AM
I installed WP in my '04 last year. According to the install manual, all MasterCrafts from 2002 onward have the paddlewheel AND the plug-and-play harness already installed. I bought the WakeBoard Pro from my MC dealer for $900. New paddlewheel is not needed, but a special wiring harness is - the one that goes to the "brain box" from the paddlewheel harness. MasterCraft, beginning in 2002, put a wiring harness with a plug ending behind the driver's kick panel, accessible from the starboard bow cushion. This plug contains all the paddlewheel connections (including lake temperature), power, and RPM data. This really simplifies the install, but you have to have the special MasterCraft cable. By ordering the unit from my dealer, I got the special MC cable, no paddlewheel (since none was needed) and a MasterCraft-logo PP gauge face (white to match my white gauges). All you do is pull the speedo and put in the PP gauge (which will match your existing gauges), mount the servo, mount the brain box, plug the MC harness, gauge, and servo cables into the brain, you're good to go. NO DRILLING OR WIRE CUTTING/SPLICING REQUIRED. It is entirely plug-and-play.

Note that the speedometer is removed, not the tach, and that all other data in the tachometer display remains the same - clock, temp, depth, etc.

Rixter_69
07-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks Mac - very helpful.

I'll call PP tomorrow and see if they have the cable - I'll post the whatever I find out to the forum. I intend on doing the install next weekend and will take lots of photos to post as well.

Cheers,

bigmac
07-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks Mac - very helpful.

I'll call PP tomorrow and see if they have the cable - I'll post the whatever I find out to the forum. I intend on doing the install next weekend and will take lots of photos to post as well.

Cheers,Ask them about the gauge too - should be no extra charge..

http://mccollister.info/ppgauge.jpg

Rixter_69
07-10-2006, 08:19 PM
I talked with Randy at Perfectpass and he was extremely helpful. The harness for the MC plug and play harness comes with the WB Pro and they also confirmed that the stock paddlewheel on the 04 X9/209 definitely supports the perfectpass. He also said that I shouldn't have any issues for the depth gauge or speedo, so I'm all set. I ordered with the white MC bezel (I like the wood grain dash on yours Mac - nice touch!) to match the instruments on the X9!

I hope to get the setup by Friday so I can do the install, get it on the water (and save my marriage 8^)

I'll take photos to document the installation.

Cheers,

love2fly
07-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Anyone put the PP on a 96 200 vrs maristar??

Leroy
07-10-2006, 10:59 PM
lovefly2; Had one professionally installed on my 2001 Maristar 230 if I can help.

love2fly
07-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Leroy, I would like to have the PP for my wife to make it easier for her.
Not sure what the dif is between the 2001 and 1996 LT1 motors but I'm sure yours would have some newer upgrades on it and be easer to install the PP on.

love2fly
07-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Leroy, I would like to have the PP for my wife to make it easier for her.
Not sure what the dif is between the 2001 and 1996 LT1 motors but I'm sure yours would have some newer upgrades on it and be easer to install the PP on.