PDA

View Full Version : Best vinyl seat repair kit?

blackbeauty02
10-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Well even though I am a Nautique owner now I still have to say when I owned my Mastercraft this was the best site to get my questions answered. Over at planetnautique there isn't as much going on so I figured I'd try my luck here with all the wise moderators and others on here. My 210 SAN has a few seat cracks and tears that I would like to fix before they get too big. What is the best vinyl repair out there? Thanks guys

Chicago190
10-22-2008, 05:23 PM
No real solution except to replace your boat with a MC (they've never had problems with vinyl tearing, right?)

craig3972
10-22-2008, 05:35 PM
you can pay a repair guy to come and fix them, but i have found repairs to be temporary ( they only look good for about half a season and then they will either discolor or peel off. Great if your selling... if your keeping it, get a new skin.

ski_king
10-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Smart A$$ Answer: Just use duct tape. It looks natural on a Nautique.

To be honest, I have seen several methods used, such as vinyl glue, etc, but none that worked long term.

Roonie's
10-22-2008, 05:37 PM
had a small repair done at a vinyl repair shop and it flaked off in about a month or two. Ended up replacing whole seat skin.

TMCNo1
10-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Smart A$$ Answer: Just use duct tape. It looks natural on a Nautique.

To be honest, I have seen several methods used, such as vinyl glue, etc, but none that worked long term.
I'm with Ski King on this,

Wait a minute, I'm not a moderator, Nevermind!

Gonzo
10-22-2008, 11:47 PM
All the Mods have changed, I dont think the new ones are as smart now anyhow;);):D

88 PS190
10-23-2008, 01:36 AM
Functional to prevent further tearing, Tenacious Tape, its what the KLR/MX crowd uses to patch rips in vinyl motorcycle seats.

It will be a clear tape patch, but vinyl adhesives don't work.

An upholstery shop should be able to replace single panels in your vinyl.

Skipper
10-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Believe it or not, I had problems with the vinyl in my Mastercraft? The 13 year old vinyl was coming apart at the seams. I tried a variety of goos, vinyl repair kits, and even tried stitching with a sail needle. In the end the only solution was to have a fabric guy replace the bad spot.

For instance, my observer seat has a base color, accent, and highlight color. The stitching was coming apart between the base and accent. The fabric guy replaced the base color fabric only. I took one piece at a time over the winter by the start of the season the boat looked new.

BTW, try correctcraftfan.com instead of Planetnautique.

Chicago190
10-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Believe it or not, I had problems with the vinyl in my Mastercraft? The 13 year old vinyl was coming apart at the seams. I tried a variety of goos, vinyl repair kits, and even tried stitching with a sail needle. In the end the only solution was to have a fabric guy replace the bad spot.

For instance, my observer seat has a base color, accent, and highlight color. The stitching was coming apart between the base and accent. The fabric guy replaced the base color fabric only. I took one piece at a time over the winter by the start of the season the boat looked new.

BTW, try correctcraftfan.com instead of Planetnautique.

The vinyl was seperated on my observers seat as well when I purchased the boat. Upholstery guy charged $150 to stitch the whole thing up like new.