PDA

View Full Version : Time to fix up the 79 S&S

ULMboarder
10-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Hey guys. need a little help here. im completely overhaulin my 79 S&S this winter. gotta have it done by march. im recarpeting, repainting, reupholstering, and refinishing everything on this boat.

Right now im stuck. i have both seats removed in the front. the engine cover is off. Im trying to remove the flooring in the middle of the boat to build a new piece made of fiberglass and put new carpet on it. but the ski pole wont let me pull it out. I dont want to break the flooring because i need it as a template for the new one. how do i remove the ski pole to get the flooring out.

123src
10-22-2008, 01:34 AM
pictures will be needed!!!!!!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-22-2008, 02:07 AM
There are several bolts that secure the post to a metal cup that is mounted to the inside of the hull. Remove the bolts, and the trim ring that mounts on top of the carpet, and remove the post. You can access the mounting bolts with the motor cover raised. The previous owner of my 77 S&S left the aft portion of the floor cut out in a U shape so it fits around tha post without needing to remove the post.

ULMboarder
10-29-2008, 01:33 PM
thanks guys. i finally got it out. i pulled the bolts out and it was still stuck, so i sprayed a bunch of wd-40 on it and took a hoist with chain and pulled it out like that. it was in there good... I dont plan on puttin it back in. so i dont have to worry about gettin it back in.

Ill try to get some pictures here soon. Just ordered the paint today. hope fully i will have it gelled, clear coated, and recarpeted by thanksgiving.

JLeuck64
10-29-2008, 05:32 PM
"I dont plan on puttin it back in. so i dont have to worry about gettin it back in."

Oh man, I hope this doesn't mean you are going to turn an older ski machine into a wakeboard boat with a tower on it???

coz
10-29-2008, 06:28 PM
thanks guys. i finally got it out. i pulled the bolts out and it was still stuck, so i sprayed a bunch of wd-40 on it and took a hoist with chain and pulled it out like that. it was in there good... I dont plan on puttin it back in. so i dont have to worry about gettin it back inhttp://www.aperfectworld.org/clipart/emotions/surprised02.gif

ski_king
10-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Another classic S&S bites the dust.:(

ULMboarder
10-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Calm down guys. Its not that bad. yes, it has a tower on it. It was there when i got it this spring. It also had a wrap to try to make it look like a new boat. in the process it of puttin that on they completely messed up the metal flake on the boat.

Im takin the pole out because we never use it. My whole family slolams but we always use the hook on the back because there are people sitting in the back.

The boat is gonna be refurbished in a way that is classic MC styling but still looks awsome. Im big on 70s era stuff. Im fixin a 73 corvette stingray while fixing the boat. You will definitely be able to tell it is a stars and stripes even when im done with it. i think even you guys will be able to appreciate it.

JohnE
10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
To go through that restoration and put the tower back on and leaving the pylon off makes no sense to me. You'll have a boat that nobody will really want. Boarders won't want it, skiers won't either, IMO. But as long as you are happy with it is all that matters. Good luck with the project.

Slinkyredfoot
10-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Calm down guys. Its not that bad. yes, it has a tower on it. It was there when i got it this spring. It also had a wrap to try to make it look like a new boat. in the process it of puttin that on they completely messed up the metal flake on the boat.

Im takin the pole out because we never use it. My whole family slolams but we always use the hook on the back because there are people sitting in the back.

The boat is gonna be refurbished in a way that is classic MC styling but still looks awsome. Im big on 70s era stuff. Im fixin a 73 corvette stingray while fixing the boat. You will definitely be able to tell it is a stars and stripes even when im done with it. i think even you guys will be able to appreciate it.

I have a 79 and am wondering what hook in the back?

coz
10-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Here's a couple pluses for the pylon :D I've never used mine, ever :rolleyes: but it does make a good handle/hand rest for the driver, I wrap my rope keeper around it when were riding, hat rack, plastic trash bag tie off spot and the list goes on :D many, many uses for the pylon if you don't use it to pull.

ULMboarder
10-30-2008, 02:15 PM
these are some of the pics from when we first looked at the boat. the green stripe is a wrap. that has since come off in a lot of places. and as you can see in the last pic, the tower was on it when i bought it. And that color scheme is definitely not original. so im tryin to fix it back up.

cbryan70
10-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Are those plastic mounts for the tower?

ULMboarder
and slinky... look in the top pic. i dont know if its original but there is a hook above the letters. ive seen the back side of it. the glass has been reinforced and its 2 heavy duty bolts holdin it on.

cbryan70
I would take off the tower and patch....its easy on these with the rough surface

cbryan70
10-30-2008, 02:18 PM
I dont have that hook on my 78

ULMboarder
10-30-2008, 02:21 PM
No. the mounts are aluminum i believe. some kind of metal for sure thats painted black. it is defintely strong. the one on the driver side is actually tearing the glass up. we have taken it off and fixed the glass, then put a ft long 1/4 in metal plate between the glass and mount. we will be doin the same thing on the passenger side. Im also tryin to figure out some way to reinforce the rail on the inside that will look decent. the whole top of the boat flexs when a boarder cuts out.

cbryan70
10-30-2008, 02:32 PM
I dont know if you will beable to avoid that. The gunnle is just an fiberglass wrapped around but not closed off.

ULMboarder
12-07-2008, 01:36 AM
ok.... been doin a lot of work on the boat. ill get some pics here real soon of the progress. I peeled almost all of the green wrap off of the boat. It still the original mastercraft lettering and stars on it. i peeled the carpet out. already have the new carpet cut and ready to go in. got the swim platform off and got the rub rail off. My question right now is where do i get a new rub rail from. the one that was on there was beat up and the rubber insert was starting to crack from gettin dried out i guess. also, where do get the original gauges for this boat. the only one that works on my boat is the tach and sometime the gas gauge works. thanks in advance

trickskier
12-07-2008, 10:50 AM
ok.... been doin a lot of work on the boat. ill get some pics here real soon of the progress. I peeled almost all of the green wrap off of the boat. It still the original mastercraft lettering and stars on it. i peeled the carpet out. already have the new carpet cut and ready to go in. got the swim platform off and got the rub rail off. My question right now is where do i get a new rub rail from. the one that was on there was beat up and the rubber insert was starting to crack from gettin dried out i guess. also, where do get the original gauges for this boat. the only one that works on my boat is the tach and sometime the gas gauge works. thanks in advance

Check with Jim or Chuck at Bay Area Water Sports in Tampa 813-996-2297.

cbryan70
12-07-2008, 11:35 AM
going to be REAL hard to find a full set of gauges i would imagine. Ebay

TMCNo1
12-07-2008, 02:02 PM
ok....got the rub rail off. My question right now is where do i get a new rub rail from. the one that was on there was beat up and the rubber insert was starting to crack from gettin dried out i guess.

http://tacomarine.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi?usr=51G2709766&rnd=3037562&rrc=N&affl=&cip=71.71.58.217&act=&aff=&pg=cat&ref=rubrail and they should have what you need for replacement.

ULMboarder
12-10-2008, 04:29 PM
thanks guys. i think i actually found some gauges that look almos original and i got my speedos to work. just gotta get the chrome around them cleaned up.

ULMboarder
05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
ok. so i finally got the boat back thursday. put the carpet in it. reinstalled everything the same as before. i did put new gauges and a new rubrail. what do yall think. i wanna put some kind of decal on there. its gotta have the stars on it some how though. i want people to be able to look at it and know that its a starts and stripes. i got some OEM mastercraft decals from the local mc dealer. they look like the ones that go on the back of a boat. but i got 2 of them i wanna use them too somehow. any one good with photoshop and have a idea?

SPLIFF
05-04-2009, 04:03 PM
i like it how tall is the tower?