PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Metal Prices

Slinkyredfoot
10-21-2008, 08:27 PM
We cleaned up our shop today and hauled 223# of cut up aluminum from a scrap duct lift to a local scrap yard

I have a great mechanic, Iraqi war veteran, who suggested we haul it down to the yard, loaded it up in the truck and were off..

During our drive we began discussing our great idea and fortune of the present time and how we were gonna both benefit over this seemed to be new found mother load for the upcoming weekend...fun, happy ride.

Get to the yard, which was another hilarious story, cops checking out everything....

Get our voucher........223#s of clean aluminum was worth 10 cents an lb.......grand total $23.00 bucks ***...man were we disappointed... cracked up the whole way home on what dumbshts we were.....at least we did not spend it before we had it.....:D

Life is great sometimes

Maristar210
10-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Steve you got screwed. Steel is $.11 pound for god sakes

jmac197
10-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Check out this link. I agree with Mari.....

http://www.scrapindex.com/metal/usa/aluminum/index.html

Makes the story that much more funny :)

boyd
10-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Just did a google search for "price of scrap aluminum" It shows 74.6 cents per pound.
On my calclator that comes out to $173.81
Live and learn.

boyd
10-21-2008, 09:29 PM
CALCULATOR.

Do you have any more aluminum? I'll come and buy it and double the price you received last time.

justinglow
10-21-2008, 09:29 PM
When I scraped aluminum last month here in Texas it was close to .60 cents a pound. I think they took you.

boyd
10-21-2008, 09:32 PM
And you thought the laughing was over. Give your buddy a call.
You guys get 2 good laughs in one day.
Heck that is probably worth the 170$

TMCNo1
10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
We have a huge metal recycling facility about 3 miles from our house and the sign at the entrance says $.72/pound for aluminum, saw it this afternoon. You got took!

88 PS190
10-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Aluminum has been dropping in price for scrap.

But it can also depend on the variety of aluminum alloy you are holding. Did they poke it with a strange machine thing?

dooger
10-21-2008, 10:32 PM
All scrap prices are dropping. for giggles do a search for the price of rodium, platinum, and palladium. OUCH . kitco.com

JimN
10-21-2008, 11:27 PM
It's not dropping that fast, that much. $.10/lb is screwing people. At least the voucher shows the weight. I'd go back and have a little "chat".

Slinkyredfoot
10-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Steve you got screwed. Steel is $.11 pound for god sakes

Yea, we figured this out already, but at least got a case of beer out of the deal and split the remaining five bucks......:D

mbpd312
10-22-2008, 08:45 AM
slinky, Im with you. At least you got a few chilly cats and some laughs out of the deal. probably most important was lesson learned that day. Which is ----dont rely on your scrap metal to get both of you drunk!!

TMCNo1
10-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Yea, we figured this out already, but at least got a case of beer out of the deal and split the remaining five bucks......:D

Did the $5 pay for the gas to get there and back?:rolleyes::D

Slinkyredfoot
10-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Did the $5 pay for the gas to get there and back?:rolleyes::D

The gas was on the company, but we also figured it took my mechanic about 2 hours to cut up the scrap into pieces that we could manhandle, at $50.00 an hour shop labor rate, we lost about $73...guess this is one of the problems with our economy right now, we are busting our a$$es to help with our economic problems.....

wakeX2wake
10-22-2008, 11:02 AM
well slink... you can say you've made your sacrifice to boost the economy this week

Maristar210
10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
I have 3600 ish pounds of aluminium ingot and extrusions I was sitting on while I watched the prices rise. Now that I am watching them fall, drastically, I wish I would have cashed them in a while ago. As of now I stand to lose well over a thousand by simply being greedy :D

on the other hand it's not my money, but it's my companies money:o

Sodar
10-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I would be pissed, just for the fact that I got taken. I would call the guys and just give them a good razzing for screwing you around... I guess it's not the fact of the $$$$, but the thought they tried to screw ya!

JimN
10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I have 3600 ish pounds of aluminium ingot and extrusions I was sitting on while I watched the prices rise. Now that I am watching them fall, drastically, I wish I would have cashed them in a while ago. As of now I stand to lose well over a thousand by simply being greedy :D

on the other hand it's not my money, but it's my companies money:o

I have one word for you- Alchemy. Change it from one mineral to a more valuable one. Oh, it'll never turn to gold but maybe silicon.

Ric
10-22-2008, 01:29 PM
The rip is while the scrap is falling, the new alloy bar prices are rising.

I'm paying in the neighborhood of $ 3.25/# for 2024 now

Ric
10-22-2008, 01:30 PM
but....... the shop is cleaned up right?

We cleaned up our shop today and hauled 223# of cut up aluminum from a scrap duct lift to a local scrap yard

I have a great mechanic, Iraqi war veteran, who suggested we haul it down to the yard, loaded it up in the truck and were off..

During our drive we began discussing our great idea and fortune of the present time and how we were gonna both benefit over this seemed to be new found mother load for the upcoming weekend...fun, happy ride.

Get to the yard, which was another hilarious story, cops checking out everything....

Get our voucher........223#s of clean aluminum was worth 10 cents an lb.......grand total $23.00 bucks ***...man were we disappointed... cracked up the whole way home on what dumbshts we were.....at least we did not spend it before we had it.....:D

Life is great sometimes

Maristar210
10-22-2008, 01:58 PM
The rip is while the scrap is falling, the new alloy bar prices are rising.

I'm paying in the neighborhood of $ 3.25/# for 2024 now

Whatcha making out of that 2024 ****?

rodecker1978
10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
It's not dropping that fast, that much. $.10/lb is screwing people. At least the voucher shows the weight. I'd go back and have a little "chat".

Do any of you have a career in the scrap business?? Slinkyredfoot did not get screwed, if he could have been paid a better price he should have shopped the nearest competing scrap recycler and sold it there. Was the material cast alum? 5k series? 6k series? MLC? Was it contaminated with steel or other non-aluminum materials? There are many factors that go into pricing an aluminum scrap product and there are many grades. You also must consider the market that you are in; does he have competition nearby? If so, shame on you for not shoppping around. If not, why would he pay more than he has to? Most non-ferrous commodities have fallen 60-90% in value in the last 60 days depending where you are. If a scrap recycler is paying $.70+ he likely still has a guaranteed open contract for a high sale price...those won't last long and are becoming void by the minute. Many of us metals recyclers (I'm a buyer for the biggest scrap recycler in the country) can't even sell our product (there's no demand) including many grades of aluminum. Why would a scrap recycler pay a price that you say is "market value" and then warehouse it for several months and hope that he could sell it for a good price??? We have millions of dollars worth of inventory sitting on ships at the ports because China, Hungary, and India have cancellled the contracts, and in some cases, in violation of trade agreements...

So....JimN. Educate yourself before you go have a little "chat" so you can appear at least somewhat intelligent.

Sorry guys...just need to vent. Work is very stressful right now as many of our plants have lost a million $ + in the last 30 days because of inventory that suddenly has become worth nothing. Not a whole lot different from many industries right now huh... :(

wakeX2wake
10-22-2008, 05:11 PM
and that stress is coming from uphill too my friend... consumers of finished sheet product aren't exactly lining up to buy the stuff which is why you're not seeing the scrap move...

EVERYONE HERE... do us all a favor and drink out of cans... aluminum is the only 100% recyclable food/beverage container out there... plastics suck for recycling and all the other paper and whatever bags that chips come in are going to fill up landfill... RECYCLE YOUR BEER CANS... the only thing that is lost in recycling a beer can is the paint on the cans and about 1-3% of the aluminum is lost in dross (no aluminum doesn't oxidize but it chemically bonds to elements that will such as manganese magnesium copper siicon and iron...that's all that's coming to mind at the moment... there's tons more)... i'm not a tree hugger but the numbers don't lie... RECYCLE CANS

ps the dross is recycled and about 70-75% of aluminum dross is returned to the original process through smelter processing

Roonie's
10-22-2008, 05:20 PM
will they make an aluminum MC?

rodecker1978
10-22-2008, 05:54 PM

I'd buy one! But seriously...the aluminum (from Alcoa Mfg) that our towers components are extruded from is 95% recycled material - from scrap processors/recyclers.

TMCNo1
10-22-2008, 06:09 PM

How about aluminum condoms!:rolleyes::D

JimN
10-22-2008, 07:11 PM
"So....JimN. Educate yourself before you go have a little "chat" so you can appear at least somewhat intelligent."

Lighten up, Francis. I was kidding.

Maristar210
10-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Do any of you have a career in the scrap business?? Slinkyredfoot did not get screwed, if he could have been paid a better price he should have shopped the nearest competing scrap recycler and sold it there. Was the material cast alum? 5k series? 6k series? MLC? Was it contaminated with steel or other non-aluminum materials? There are many factors that go into pricing an aluminum scrap product and there are many grades. You also must consider the market that you are in; does he have competition nearby? If so, shame on you for not shoppping around. If not, why would he pay more than he has to? Most non-ferrous commodities have fallen 60-90% in value in the last 60 days depending where you are. If a scrap recycler is paying $.70+ he likely still has a guaranteed open contract for a high sale price...those won't last long and are becoming void by the minute. Many of us metals recyclers (I'm a buyer for the biggest scrap recycler in the country) can't even sell our product (there's no demand) including many grades of aluminum. Why would a scrap recycler pay a price that you say is "market value" and then warehouse it for several months and hope that he could sell it for a good price??? We have millions of dollars worth of inventory sitting on ships at the ports because China, Hungary, and India have cancellled the contracts, and in some cases, in violation of trade agreements...

So....JimN. Educate yourself before you go have a little "chat" so you can appear at least somewhat intelligent.

Sorry guys...just need to vent. Work is very stressful right now as many of our plants have lost a million $ + in the last 30 days because of inventory that suddenly has become worth nothing. Not a whole lot different from many industries right now huh... :(

Holy Crap Dude.

Did the theory of supply and demand miss your doorstep?

Your bull**** response is a real indicator of how bull **** youR business is. Oh diesels way up? Guess what I brought it to you!!! screw that. I could give ten examples of excuses I hear from these f-ing slimeballs.

I called today. Scrap recycler slimeball #1 said "you have 1765# of 6000 series ingot? - thats 33 cents a pound... W T F ???????????

Reputable and trustworthy scrap dealer number two for the same 6000 series ingot - $.69 a pound

More than double the price?

Yeah - YOU CAN SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT - I DON'T CARE.....

SLIMEBALLS

Perhaps you are honest and trustworthy but these as s holes screw the average joe every chance they get. MEET MY FRIEND STEVE - Slinky

BULL **** BULL **** BULL ****

I have been in the fabrication business for 25 years. I have seen most everything. Scrap guys make money by ****ing people. End of Story. Merry Christmas.

88 PS190
10-22-2008, 08:39 PM
How about aluminum condoms!:rolleyes::D

In custom anodized colors, I'll take one in blue. Washable right?

Slinkyredfoot
10-22-2008, 08:41 PM
"So....JimN. Educate yourself before you go have a little "chat" so you can appear at least somewhat intelligent."

Lighten up, Francis. I was kidding.

With a name like Francis, no wonder he is seems to be upset by your lack of knowledge Jim... I am just kiddin' Francis....:D

Seriously though, I posted this thread to show my falability and to be light hearted...I wished I had "educated" myself before we went to the scrap yard because then I would have been "at least somewhat intelligent" on something I knew abosolutly crapola about.....

Life is great sometimes

TMCNo1
10-22-2008, 08:48 PM
In custom anodized colors, I'll take one in blue. Washable right?

With a Pop Top, right!:rolleyes::D

88 PS190
10-22-2008, 08:51 PM
With a Pop Top, right!:rolleyes::D

How else am I supposed to free the beast?

rodecker1978
10-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Holy Crap Dude.

Your bull**** response is a real indicator of how bull **** youR business is. Oh diesels way up? Guess what I brought it to you!!! screw that. I could give ten examples of excuses I hear from these f-ing slimeballs.

I called today. Scrap recycler slimeball #1 said "you have 1765# of 6000 series ingot? - thats 33 cents a pound... W T F ???????????

Reputable and trustworthy scrap dealer number two for the same 6000 series ingot - $.69 a pound

More than double the price?

Yeah - YOU CAN SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT - I DON'T CARE.....

SLIMEBALLS

Perhaps you are honest and trustworthy but these as s holes screw the average joe every chance they get. MEET MY FRIEND STEVE - Slinky

BULL **** BULL **** BULL ****

I have been in the fabrication business for 25 years. I have seen most everything. Scrap guys make money by ****ing people. End of Story. Merry Christmas.

Sounds like you got "screwed" at some point also. LOL!!! Too damn funny...

JimN
10-22-2008, 08:56 PM
With a name like Francis, no wonder he is seems to be upset by your lack of knowledge Jim... I am just kiddin' Francis....:D

Seriously though, I posted this thread to show my falability and to be light hearted...I wished I had "educated" myself before we went to the scrap yard because then I would have been "at least somewhat intelligent" on something I knew abosolutly crapola about.....

Life is great sometimes

Well, ya want to be able to trust people but it's hard to, sometimes. Most of the scrap dealers/buyers here post the going rate on a sign at their entrance and I must have gone in to sell the wire scraps I had. I got $1.10/lb for copper wire WITH insulation. The last time, I think I got maybe $.30/lb (it had been a few years).

Slinkyredfoot
10-22-2008, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=Maristar210;551068]Holy Crap Dude.

More than double the pricYeah - YOU CAN SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT - I DON'T CARE.....

SLIMEBALLS

Steve, thanks for considering me to be your friend, but Dude take a chill pill here, I got half a case of my favorite ice cold beer plus $2.50 out of this deal...plus 7 cents for the 12 empties I returned to the yard.. how can you seriously call these reputable dealers SLIMEBALLS...:confused:

I am happy...

TMCNo1
10-22-2008, 09:15 PM
[quote=Maristar210;551068]Holy Crap Dude.

More than double the pricYeah - YOU CAN SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT - I DON'T CARE.....

SLIMEBALLS

Steve, thanks for considering me to be your friend, but Dude take a chill pill here, I got half a case of my favorite ice cold beer plus $2.50 out of this deal...plus 7 cents for the 12 empties I returned to the yard.. how can you seriously call these reputable dealers SLIMEBALLS...:confused:

I am happy...

This is the funniest stuff I've read lately, thanks Slinky and Steve!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)

Slinkyredfoot
10-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Sorry guys...just need to vent. Work is very stressful right now as many of our plants have lost a million $ + in the last 30 days because of inventory that suddenly has become worth nothing. Not a whole lot different from many industries right now huh... :([/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like you are growing the wrong kind of plants my freind.. I may be able to help you

My plants are flourishing and are making up for my lack of intelligence in the scrap business right now....

Workin' 4 Toys
10-22-2008, 09:49 PM
I am glad I brought some steel in a few weeks ago. 'round a ton or so brought in about $250.00. Not bad for some junk I almost left out for the "scrapers" to take....:D

Workin' 4 Toys
10-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Almost forgot about the 3 junk battery's and 2 junk aluminum wheels that brought in another $50. That was real easy to take....:D

Maristar210
10-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Sorry Steve. I didn't like what I heard there.

FYI - Not reputable dealer number 1 left me a voice mail asking what price I got from the other guy and now says he's will to consider matching it to get the ingot.

That my friends is why I used the terms I did. Proof right there .....

Everyone have a good day...:D

TMCNo1
10-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Anybody stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, we need a official ruling here!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_60.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)