PDA

View Full Version : Question About Low Profile Trailer Option

water_junky
10-21-2008, 01:41 AM
Can someone tell me if the MC Low Profile Trailer actually lowers the height of the boat sitting in the trailer compared to the standard MC trailer? If so, how much?

Thanks,

Terry

WakePowell
10-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I've never measured, but have seen boats with the low profile option trailers sitting next to identical models with a standard trailer and I believe that they sit higher. Overall the tire diameter and width is greater on the low profile option requiring larger fenders which in turn requires the boat to be raised on the trailer to avoid contact with the fenders.

I think the low profile option looks great but I opted not to get it for the following reasons: 1) the reduced sidewall depth puts too large of a stress on the tires when turning sharp corners or maneuvering 2) the reduced tire sidewall will make the trailer ride rougher which is tougher on the boat 3) the wheels are more susceptible to damage from curbs and other objects in boat ramp parking lots (even though your careful, stuff happens) 4) I could not get comfortable with the tire load rating being supplied with the option.

TMCNo1
10-21-2008, 09:15 AM
This is from the MC website, http://www.mastercraft.com/qai/parse/trailers/custom !
"Our custom "Low Profile" trailer comes tricked out with chrome fenders, exclusive KMC 18" rims and low profile tires."
Apparenty it's a term more than anything for the apperance from the added Bling!

A good thing, may be to go to a dealer and do some measuring, you may be surprised that there is little difference in the two trailer types!

Sodar
10-21-2008, 11:00 AM
The trailer sits NO lower than the stock trailer. The low profile thought comes from the size of the wheels and the sidewall size of the tires. MC trailers by design sit VERY high... almost visually unpleasing. I have looked into lowering my 197 trailer in hopes of easing launching the boat at flatter ramps. Unfortunately, in order to do it, some big mods must be done to the trailer. The fenders need to be replaced with metal ones and raised, the prop guard needs to be lifted, the torsion axled need to be sucked up closer to the frame and the tires need to be changed. Its do-able, just $$$$. Most custom trailer MFGer's have a low profile option that really is... low profile and will lower your boat a solid 6-8" on the trailer.

88 PS190
10-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Most custom trailer MFGer's have a low profile option that really is... low profile and will lower your boat a solid 6-8" on the trailer.

As you mentioned w/ the prop guard low trailer, means your prop is closer to the ground on an inboard. And from my experience I like being able to lift the tongue to drain all the water out of the boat which requires clearance at the rear of the trailer. losing 6-8" on my trailer would make it impossible to get my trailer into the shed, there is a step up into the shed and the prop would drag before the axle would step it up.

On an I/O sure.

Real trick would be an airbag suspension set up to drop the trailer once it was backed into the water.

Sodar
10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
As you mentioned w/ the prop guard low trailer, means your prop is closer to the ground on an inboard. And from my experience I like being able to lift the tongue to drain all the water out of the boat which requires clearance at the rear of the trailer.

Sounds like you need a center plug.

I can't find pictures of the whole trailer, but this is a true low-pro set up on a wakeboat trailer.

http://extremetrailers.com/new/db_Low_profile_package_235-60-14_good_pic.jpg

water_junky
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks guys!!! I was afraid that it wasn't a true low profile trailer option, back to the drawing board.

Terry

capnkirk52
10-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Here is my boat with the "low profile" tires haha.. I'm sure it doesn't sit any lower than a regular boat.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4310/ld08002vl6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)