PDA

View Full Version : Question

Elgallo
10-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Hello to the board form the new guy!

I currently have a VD model #10-17-004, 1:1 in my 1983 20" Shamrock Pilothouse.

I am looking at a used unit here locally but it appears not to be one I could use as a canidate for rebuilding as a spare. The model # on it is AS1- 71C.

In what information I have from BW this #(AS1-71C) is identified as being discontinued. Can I use it for rebuilding and end up with the equiv. of what I have in the boat at the moment?

Also, where can one look to determine the date of mfg. for a given Model and serial #'d VD unit?

Thanks

JLeuck64
10-20-2008, 07:03 PM
For a number of years now, work has has been proceeding in order to bring prefection to the crudely conceived idea of a machine that would work to not only supply inverse reactive current, for use in unilateral phase detectors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronising cardinal grammeters. Such a machine is the 'Retroencabulator'. Basically, the only new principle involved is that instead of the power being generated by the relaxive motion of conductors and fluxes, it is produced by the modial interactions of magneto- reluctance and capacitive directance.

The original machine had a base-plate of prefabulated amulite, surrounded by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in direct line with the pentametric fan, the latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzelvanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar vaneshaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus- o-delta type placed in panendermic semiboloid solts in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible termic pipe to the differential girdlespring on the 'up' end of the grammeter.

Forty-one manestically placed grouting brushes were arrranged to feed into the rotor slip stream a mixture of high S-value phenyhydrobenzamine and 5 percent reminative tetraiodohexamine. Both these liquids have specific pericosities given by p=2.4 Cn where n is the diathecial evolute of retrograde temperature phase disposition and C is the Chomondeley's annual grillage coefficient. Initially, n was measured with the aid of a metapolar pilfrometer, but up to the present date nothing has been found to equal the transcetental hopper dadoscope.

Electrical engineers will appreciate the difficulty of nubbing together a regurgitative purwell and a superaminative wennel-sprocket. Indeed, this proved to be a stumbling block to further development until, in 1943, it was found that the use of anhydrous nagling pins enabled a kyptonastic boiling shim to be tankered.

The early attempts to construct a sufficiently robust spiral decommutator failed largely because of lack of appreciation of the large quasi-pietic stresses in the gremlin studs; the latter were specially designed to hold the roffit bars to the spamshaft. When, however, it was discovered that wending could be prevented by the simple addition of teeth to socket, almost perfect running was secured.

The operating point is maintained as near as possible to the HF rem peak by constantly fromaging the bituminous spandrels. This is a distinct advance on the standard nivelsheave in that no drammock oil is required after the phase detractors have remissed.

Undoubtedly, the Retroencabulator has now reached a very high level of technical development. It has been successfully used for operating nofer trunnions. In addition, whenever a barescent skor motion is required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

flipper
10-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Can anybody translate?

TMCNo1
10-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Can anybody translate?

I think it sits too close to the muffler bearing, but,

flipper
10-20-2008, 07:26 PM
I thought i say something about muffler bearings in there.

coz
10-20-2008, 07:26 PM

A 20 inch shamrock? :confused: maybe a hobby shop would have that model kit? :confused:

Hey JLeuck64! What!!!??? I didn't see the word boat anywhere in that mumbo jumbo :confused:

flipper
10-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Sham's packin' 20 inches?

bbymgr
10-20-2008, 07:56 PM

Thanks

I didn't know there were different "models" of VD. And I sure wouldn't be telling people I had it.

KHall
10-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Freaking rocket science.

Sodar
10-20-2008, 08:00 PM
A 20' Shamrock is a mini enclosed center console fishing boat.

http://www.uship.com/static/f3e438f0-ddbf-4faa-8.jpg

TMCNo1
10-20-2008, 08:55 PM

OK, OK, OK, so it's like a CSX with a outhouse, right?????????

FrankSchwab
10-20-2008, 08:56 PM
A quick googling shows that El Gallo has a Borg-Warner Velvet Drive Model 10-17-004 marine transmission in his watercraft, and wants to know if he can replace it with a rebuilt Velvet Drive model AS1-71C transmission.

I hope the translation gets you more useful information than you've gotten so far, El Gallo.

This (http://www.oldmarineengine.com/discus/messages/3430/117961.html) link implies that the AS1-71C was at the very least used in early CorrectCraft ski boats. This (http://www.simplicity-marine.com/Files/VelvetDrive/velvetmodels.htm) link implies that the 10-17-004 is some kind of a replacement (possibly only a model number change) from the AS1-71C.

That's about all I could find in a couple minutes with Google. Saw a number of posts over on the correctcraftfan.com forums about AS1-71C's; they may be of more help. Good luck on finding more information.

/frank

FrankSchwab
10-20-2008, 08:57 PM
And I have no idea what pharmaceuticals JLeuck is taking, but his post was pretty funny.

TX.X-30 fan
10-20-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm glad it amuses you. TT has changed.

Elgallo
10-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the information Frank.

As for the others.......Yep my Shammys a 20 footer, it's the captian that has the 20 incher!:D

Skipper
10-21-2008, 10:30 AM

Dude, you know EVERYTHING! :worthy:

TRBenj
10-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Elgallo, I do believe that the 71C and 10-17 are interchangeable. The guys on CorrectCraftFan.com would be much more helpful, as both trannies were used in CC's. Also check out Fishtheclassic.net for any Shamrock-specific questions.

Im guessing that you assumed that a Mastercraft forum might be a good place to ask an Indmar-related question... too bad no one here is much help.

flipper
10-21-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm glad it amuses you. TT has changed.

True dat

Just tell the guy if his muffler bearings are good or not and move on:D

Elgallo
10-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks TR, the possible interchangability between the two is also good to hear. I am a longtime member of Fishtheclassic.net and have the same question out for those guys also.

Thanks again!:)

JLeuck64
10-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Sorry guys,
I don't know what makes me do those kinds of posts. I have been sitting on that mumbo jumbo for years now and finally found a newbie to pounce on...

Easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission ( =

For a good laugh check out this version on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVY5teBzlg&feature=related

Enjoy!

ski_king
10-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Even though your boat is not a ski boat, Vince at skidim.com may be able to help you out.

On the other hand, I bet you boat throws a mean wake for surfing.

Sodar
10-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Im guessing that you assumed that a Mastercraft forum might be a good place to ask an Indmar-related question... too bad no one here is much help.

Thats why we got you around. Honestly, we have very few mechanically inclined engine guys on here... unlike the CC forum. But hey, we can talk teak oil, oil filters, oil and impellers with the best of them! 8p

Maristar210
10-22-2008, 12:25 PM

Hell of a vessel IMO. I love them.

Elgallo
10-22-2008, 12:41 PM
While not a lake ski boat the 20' Shamrocks, inparticular the earlier ones (pre KCS) are built like a brick outhouses. This is one bad asszz fishing, down n dirty offshore pocket sporty that can run with the bigger dogs. Mine has been out as far as 50-100 miles on the right days.

Yes, some use these boats for skiing/wakeboarding and enjoy them for that reason only. WOT is 4300 with the 240hp 351W and at that RPM you are cruisin at or above 40 knots. It's a Harly Davidson on the water!

BTW there are some killer deals on used Shamrocks on WWW.fishtheclassic.net if you are interested.