PDA

View Full Version : X2 Trailer, garage, plate, platform questions

Witness140
10-19-2008, 09:58 PM
So I'm gonna have an X2 soon. Either an 07' or an 08'. I typically trailer my boat to some local lakes - under 30 miles round trip. Occasionally I will take it to a larger lake that is 50 miles roundtrip. I prefer to keep my boat in the garage when it is not being used. I'd honestly love a tandem but just not sure my garage can handle it.

I've been reading with some interest the other thread talking about X2's fitting (or not fitting) in a 7ft standard garage. I've also been told that nothing sticks out above the windshield height when the tower is properly folded down by my dealer. I'd love some photos and comments on that issue.

I might have a choice between a tandem or a single axle trailer.

Here's my questions.

How hard are the tandems to maneuver in close quarters with the truck attached?

Is it possible to maneuver the trailer by hand - getting it in and out of garage. Or is it pretty tough to change it's path in a short distance like with a single axle. I have 106" of width from trim to trim. Considering the weatherstripping, I have 104"

Can someone measure the height from the floor to the top of trailer guide with the guide cover off? My garage door opening is tapered in the upper corners, so I'd have to pull the guides off. Wondering if the naked posts would fit through. Looking for two numbers - distance between the outside of guides (laterally across trailer at top of posts) and height from floor to top of guide. I'd love to get the measurements for both the tandem and the single axle.

Also - the specs say the X2 trailer with tongue folded is 20' 9" long. My garage is 22' 2" from door to back wall. If I get the boat with the fold down platform and attitude plate - how much will the platform fold? Anyone have a picture of an 08 or 09 with that attitude plate and platform down? I'm thinking that if I have to - I might pull the bolt from cylinder to bottom of plate - let the plate and cylinder just flop down so I can fold platform straight down. If necessary. Be easier than taking the platform on and off. Anyone done this?

If this boat isn't going to get into a 7 foot garage, I might give more thought to an X15, since one of the main reasons I'm going to the X2 is because it is still 'garage friendly'

Thanks everyone!

edited May 09:

I have the boat now, and as of May 15th - this adventure has been concluded. On a single axle MC trailer, a 2009 X2 can indeed fit into a standard american garage. Now the definition of 'standard' may be a topic for debate. Here in the northeast, a 'standard' garage is 7 ft tall by 9 ft wide. "Garage friendly" being put in the description by the manufacturer, well I'm not going to give my opinion on that. I'd say "garage friendly***" just like a statement referring to Bonds as the all time home run record.

Anyways, it was possible by removing 6 bolts, 4 pieces of the tower, filling the boat with gas, and having 2-3 people present. A detailed pictorial is now included later in this thread.

wakeX2wake
10-20-2008, 11:36 AM
from what i've read on here... the X2 is shorter on the tandem than on a single axle trailer which stands to reason... i think the difference is a inch or two but that can mean all the difference

don't have the plate so can't help you there

can't measure currently but the height of the guide posts are going to be fairly dependent on where the tongue of the trailer is... that can be solved easily w/ a flat garage entry... the issues i had was that the swivel racks were the part that hit on my garage... and no... there was no maneuvering i could figure out to make it work... garage just wasn't tall enough... measure measure measure... then give and take to make sure you can get it done if garaging is a big deal for you...

ORX-1
10-20-2008, 12:10 PM
I have been looking into this myself and from what I have found with a lot of help from folks on here is that you will need at least 22 ft maybe a little longer to shut your door depending on the lip of your door. and about 10 feet wide on tandem axel trailer. Thats what I have been basing my search on at least. hope that helps!

SkiDog
10-20-2008, 06:46 PM
You can't manuver a tamdem trailer by hand. Too heavy. At 104", thats gonna be tough to get it in that garage door. I've got 120" and I have about 8" on both sides. I'd be scared to try and put it in that hole, and I'm a pretty good backer. Is it possible to modify your opening and doors?

JohnE
10-20-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't know about the measurements, but a single axle is much easier to maneuver. I chose a single when I bought new this year.

SkiDog
10-20-2008, 09:11 PM
I don't know about the measurements, but a single axle is much easier to maneuver. I chose a single when I bought new this year.

You'd have been a whole lot less tired when you got back home from CSM if'n you'd had a tamdem!:D

trickskier
10-20-2008, 09:35 PM
You'd have been a whole lot less tired when you got back home from CSM if'n you'd had a tamdem!:D

Not if he was pulling your tandem.......................Ever check the air pressure in your tires dog??? :rolleyes:

Witness140
10-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty proficient with backing, and I have a level approach to the bay. Trailered and garaged a 197 with mini tower for about 2 seasons regularly. Bill from New England Watersports gave me some good measurements - thanks Bill! My 22' 2" is gonna be a bit tight to get it in with platform folded down - without collapsing attitude plate. Seems to me that my dream of storing the boat between uses will either be too time consuming, too difficult, or too cost prohibitive (garage mods)

I found a pic in another thread of a collapsed tower, and without pulling the fork I can't see how the rack plate gets below the windshield line for a 7ft garage.

I know it is physically possible to get the tandem into my bay width wise for long term storage. I also know that length wise I can pull the attitude plate's bottom cylinder bolt and fold down platform and get it in. Most critical dimension seems to be height. That is gonna push me towards the tandem, as I would have a height advantage with the tandem.

Thanks everyone. Thanks rooney for the pic.

1boarder
10-21-2008, 05:21 PM
I have a tandem trailer (08 x2) and I have a side load garage that I have to put the boat in at a 45 degree angle. I also have a 7 ft door. I have to take one of the board rack forks to allow the board rack to fold down when the tower is down. I then have to jackknife the trailer while I partially get the boat in the garage. I then have to use wheel dollies to jack the back two wheels off of the ground and then I can manuver it by hand. It isn't easy, but the moral of the story is when you can only have either a new boat or a new garage, you can figure something out. My garage is 16 ft deep by 18 ft. I will put som pics up tonight.

Roonie's
10-21-2008, 05:34 PM
I found a pic in another thread of a collapsed tower, and without pulling the fork I can't see how the rack plate gets below the windshield line for a 7ft garage.

I know it is physically possible to get the tandem into my bay width wise for long term storage. I also know that length wise I can pull the attitude plate's bottom cylinder bolt and fold down platform and get it in. Most critical dimension seems to be height. That is gonna push me towards the tandem, as I would have a height advantage with the tandem.

Thanks everyone. Thanks rooney for the pic.

That pic of the rack is with it tilted about 30 degrees so it is off the vinyl. You can tilt it more so you get more clearance. You can't put it completely sideways because I think it sticks out beyond the guide poles. I too have a 104" garage door opening and store it in my garage everytime. It leaves very little room for error. I back it in no problem though everytime as long as I hug one side to the door and watch it carefully. Only have about a couple inches to spare. The hard part is not getting it in but getting it out again. If your off center at all you have to back it up and try again. Hard to re-center it once in garage.

edit; also that tower is sitting up a little more so it is off the vinyl. I have a 2 x 6 under it with lots of towels as padding to keep everything off the vinyl. You take those out and let it sit direct and the back section goes down a lot more.

1boarder
10-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Here are some pics of a tight squeeze. This may give you some ideas.

Witness140
10-21-2008, 08:46 PM
1boarder - great pics - love to see those in a bigger format. How long does that take you? Do you do that after every use?

Roonie, thats encouraging news. Sounds like we have similar garages. I hear you 100% about going in being easy and out being difficult. I've gotten the boat stuck in the garage as well - with the truck trying to pull it out. With the single axle on the 197, it was a simple solution to disconnect and maneuver by hand to get myself out. I worry about what would happen with the tandem!

I think it gets stuck because I hook up to the trailer at a slightly different angle than I disconnected. I do the same thing backing in - reference the driver side fender to the weatherstripping. I know that if I am 2-3" off the weatherstripping with the fender and relatively straight, I'm ok. (197 SAT is 99") The next critical part with the 197 is watching my racks clear the angled corners of bay opening. Mine was an older zero flex forward-toward-the-bow-folding tower.

Do you have any pics of your X2 in the garage roonie?

Just so I understand the rack issue. The rack will pivot 360 degrees, but with it horizontal - the triangular tabs increase width beyond the guides. So - to solve this, they get angled up, but we can't angle them up enough to clear without removing a fork? Interesting.

JohnE
10-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey Witness140, where are you in New England? I'm in Milford, MA.

JohnE
10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Witness, the angles on the garage door openings are just cosmetic. It wouldn't be too costly to square them off if that helps. Do you have pic's of the garage?

Roonie's
10-21-2008, 09:10 PM
The racks do pivot 360 degrees but with rack down only 180 +. If they are perpendicular to the ground they stick out beyond the guide poles. I have to make sure they are at an angle or risk them hitting side of garage when I go in (have yet to do this but came close).

Here it is in the garage.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/garage.jpg

My garage when closed...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/garage4-1.jpg

Witness140
10-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Roonie - how tall is your door?

Roonie's
10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Roonie - how tall is your door?

It is 8 ft so at least I have some room there. Would be really hard if it was a 7' door and 104" wide.

MattsCraft
10-23-2008, 12:05 PM
I have an '09 X2 with the "ski plate" (trim tab) and tandem trailer. The distance with the platform folded (the plate does not allow the platform to fold all the way down) to the folded tongue is 22' 6". The height clearance with the tower folded is 7' 8". I put my boat under a 10' x 20' King Canopy and have to snake it slightly due to my driveway. I had to raise my uprights 1' to accommodate the tower to just slip past at the width of the trailer.

Pics attached.

duramaxer
10-24-2008, 02:34 PM
I can get my 08 though my 7ft door but I don't have the width issues as the door is 18ft wide. I have an uphill approach to the garage as well which doesn't help me out but it sill goes. I do have to take off one of the forks on the board rack. That is the only extra step that I have to take with the tower so it gets put back into the garage after every use.
I did get a buddy of mine who has a CNC machine shop to make me a couple of knobs (same as ones on the rest of the tower) to go into the board rack so that I can remove the fork without any tools.
Guess your width could be a bigger issue for you though.
The tandum trailer sits about 3/4 of an inch shorter due to the difference in tire size. So I went with that because I did bring one to my house on a single axle trailer and there was no way it would go into the garage.
Mine doesn't have the plate on it so with the tounge folded and the platform folded it measures 22ft long.

Witness140
10-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the input and pictures so far. Had some rot above that garage bay so we opened it up this week. The damage is extensive and attracted carpenter ants. So....it turned into a huge project. One header joist is destroyed above the garage, as well as exterior sheathing above that. Water leaking from an improperly flashed fireplace vent (I hope, haven't gotten up that far yet) Anyways - I knocked out the corners. I looked at and considered widening, but my foundation won't allow it. Vertically I would have to go with low profile custom doors, and it would get really pricey - all to only get another 4-5" max. Not worth the expense. I'd rather put more money into the boat or buy a lift and keep it at the lake.

It sounds like I should go with the tandem and plan on the following steps.

1.) Remove bolt from attitude plate lower attach
2.) Allow plate to drop vertical with bolt removed
3.) Fold down platform
4.) Remove 1 fork per side
5.) Fold down platform
6.) Back her in carefully

You have a picture of those custom knobs duramax?

duramaxer
10-24-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't but I will take one for you.
The only thing I am going to do is send them out for powder coating or anodizing this winter as they are just raw aluminum right now (thought it would look better if they were black as well).

mnpracing
10-24-2008, 07:18 PM
1boarder - what kind of wheel dollies do you use?

thanks,

1boarder
10-24-2008, 08:03 PM
they are from harbour freight. here is a link

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94682

I bought two pair so I can push the boat sideways, but I only use one pair to pick the back wheels up. With the back wheels up I can pivot the trailer.

duramaxer
10-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Sorry it took so long I have been busy but here is a photo of the knobs for my board racks.
They are getting sent out to get coloured black soon.
The threaded rod I used was stainless as well.

ORX-1
04-29-2009, 01:04 PM
To bring this thread back to life I have to ask if anyone has found someone to fab these nobs that duramaxer has? I tried some local shops with no luck so far. I have the same issue with needing to take off one of the fingers to get in my 7 foot door. If anyone has someone that can make them, can I buy some? Thanks!!!!

duramaxer
05-01-2009, 01:50 AM
I had my buddy make these and I can ask him if he can make some more as I am sure that he still has the program.
I can ask him what the cost on something like this is as well if you like?

bturner2
05-01-2009, 07:24 AM
I would interested also. Sounds like you may have found a small niche product.

Loffgren
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
The hard part is not getting it in but getting it out again. If your off center at all you have to back it up and try again. Hard to re-center it once in garage.

In response, i put a front hitch on my truck to pull the boat out only, backing it in is easy although i "HAVE" to use the front hitch to pull it out.

I customized my third gargage to 107.5 wide tight but it makes it in their

ORX-1
05-01-2009, 02:15 PM
So last night was my first time with the new X2 in the garage... Man I felt like a rookie! My biggest hang up is with the four tower speakers the tower sits up off the pad about two inches, and I needed the extra two inches real bad! So I had to have someone in the boat push down on the tower to make it under the door! No issues with length or width but I think moving forward I will use ratchet straps from the tower to the trailer to sink it down the extra inch or two and then release it once I am in.

Witness140
05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Hey ORX - whats your garage opening dimension? H and W? Did you get the Tandem?

water-k-jin
05-01-2009, 04:45 PM
I'd be interested also. Knobs would be great... I can get the boat in the garage just need to take the tower completely apart.

ORX-1
05-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey ORX - whats your garage opening dimension? H and W? Did you get the Tandem?

Width is no problem I have a standard two car door. The height is roughly 6'8 with the weather stripping and trim. Depth is not an issue with the platform folded down, I think I have 23 feet maybe. Here is a pic, I will be able to push the nose over to straighten it out but that is a two man job!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Boat%20and%20Car/X2garage.jpg

Hrkdrivr
05-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Once you're in the garage, you might want to sink a hook into a ceiling joist. Then you can lift the aft part of the tower off your back pads and tie it/ratchet strap it to the hook so the tower doesn't leave indentions on the pads.

I got that idea from someone here and it works great...just don't forget to unhook the tower BEFORE you tow her out...almost did that once...duh.

duramaxer
05-01-2009, 09:39 PM
I have talked to my buddy that made the knobs for my boat.
He is looking into how much it will cost.
He is going to see about running a few sets so that it might keep the cost lower for everyone.
I will keep you all posted as to what he says.

Witness140
05-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Width is no problem I have a standard two car door. The height is roughly 6'8 with the weather stripping and trim.

Wow. I must have the special edition X2 with a lift kit (single axle). I have 7' even on door clearance, level approach to door, and I'm probably 4" too tall with the tower folded down. I can take the clamps completely off I suppose, but I'm not so sure about pushing that assembly further down into the sunpad. With the 4 speakers just resting on the pad - there was quite the impression left in the vinyl.

I considered removing the sunpad completely, or even removing the rear hoop. I've been looking into smaller wheels just for long term storage.

I only tried once. I'll have to try again and take some pictures.

peels
05-02-2009, 01:39 PM
I have a 7 foot door and with tower folded and board racks on an angle it will fit in the summer with full fuel and water in the engine, but when winterized ( water drained and filled with antifreeze ) and as little fuel as possible boat is lighter and sits higher. Sits about
2-3" too high. the problem is the board racks. I'm too lazy too pull the back of the tower off and re-install once inside because i can stand it up once it's in the garage. My solution is to let some air out of the tires to get under the door, then fill them back up. I do have an uphill approach to the garage on my driveway.

FamilyX2
05-02-2009, 02:06 PM
re: height

i have an '08 X2 with single axle trailer and store it in my garage with 7' door.
I have no tower speakers which allows tower to drop a bit further onto sunpad, but still have clearance issue.
I utilize 2 methods to get around this (each one works separately):

remove one board rack fork as mentioned
use a "drop-hitch" in reverse to raise front/lower back of boat to allow clearance with 7' door

ORX-1
05-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Day two with the new boat I was able to get it a little straighter in the garage. I wish the platform came off rather than folded down but other than that pretty happy with how it fits so far.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Boat%20and%20Car/X2garagestraight.jpg

sand2snow22
05-03-2009, 02:18 AM
What are you doing to keep the tower off the vinyl? Like the previous poster, I sunk a bike hook into a rafter, then ran a short section of surf rope from the tower to the hook. You are an organized MoFo......

ORX-1
05-04-2009, 01:08 AM
What are you doing to keep the tower off the vinyl? Like the previous poster, I sunk a bike hook into a rafter, then ran a short section of surf rope from the tower to the hook. You are an organized MoFo......

I need to get that figured out this week. Right now it's just on some rolled up towels. I can amlost get it upright but I have light fixtures that hit, so I may replace them and then just stand the tower back up. I like the hook idea, I just worry about it holding, seems really heavy!!!!

duramaxer
05-04-2009, 10:31 PM
So I got a price for the knobs for the board racks that have been talked about.
They will cost $25 each to get made.
If anyone has a need/intrest for these let me know.

sand2snow22
05-05-2009, 12:02 AM
I need to get that figured out this week. Right now it's just on some rolled up towels. I can amlost get it upright but I have light fixtures that hit, so I may replace them and then just stand the tower back up. I like the hook idea, I just worry about it holding, seems really heavy!!!!

Almost identical to what I went through. I started out with towels, but they still leave an indentation. I started with 2 hooks and 2 pieces of ski rope to hold the tower up. 1 hook and 1 piece of rope do just fine. (I only have 2 tower speakers, though.) If it were me, I would replace the light fixtures and stand the tower up. If you need help I might be able to replace the fixture for you, assuming you don't have something I haven't seen.

ORX-1
05-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Almost identical to what I went through. I started out with towels, but they still leave an indentation. I started with 2 hooks and 2 pieces of ski rope to hold the tower up. 1 hook and 1 piece of rope do just fine. (I only have 2 tower speakers, though.) If it were me, I would replace the light fixtures and stand the tower up. If you need help I might be able to replace the fixture for you, assuming you don't have something I haven't seen.

yeah I need to get that figured out this weekend. I think the fixtures are pretty basic, they are the long Florissant (sp) bulbs. Which has a pretty big housing that hangs down about three inches. to make sure it will clear I may start by taking one down to test it out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks Bryan.

duramaxer
05-07-2009, 12:49 PM
So my buddy is going to make some of these knobs for the board racks soon.
Just as soon as he gets a break to fit them into the machines schedule.
He will be making a few of them so let me know if anyone else wants a set of these.

Witness140
05-20-2009, 02:18 AM
Finally got it into the garage. Removed one half of the diamond in the board rack. It was 4 bolts vs 3 when compared to pulling a finger. That shed the worry about the plate's angle going through a 107" wide door.

Had to remove the clamp assemblies from the tower as well.

Took the advice from the forum and filled the boat with gas as well.

Couldn't do it with the truck, because we had to have the front jack cranked all the way up to get the folded tower in. That is thin ply wrapped in towels to support the tower/speakers during the roll-in.

Had someone sitting on the platform too so that it would clear the header. It wasn't sitting perfectly square on the trailer - even though dimensionally it was. (measured equally as far as bunk spacing went) One side of tower squeaked in by 1/4", the other by about 1". I don't know - maybe the bunks aren't perfect, wouldn't surprise me. Not impressed with the trailer, but thats a topic for another thread I won't start.

Once the back was in, we lowered the jack so the windshield would clear.

Platform folded down. The trim tab is a deficit here. My dealer gave me a quick disconnect pin on the bottom of actuator. This allows me to drop the plate. I did have to disconnect the top pivot bolt too though, cuz with limited slack on the actuator cord, the actuator will not parallel the transom with just the bottom bolt pulled. Anyways, the actuator bolts are both pulled, and it is hanging so that the platform can drop as intended.

Once in - I hung the tower from the ceiling. Eventually I'll make up some nice permanent lines. That tower is heavy! Especially when lifting it in a confined spot with one hand while hooking up the lines with the other.

I hung the front legs as well. No contact between any vinyl and any portion of a rack/tower.

Pics to follow.

My garage is 106-107" wide from weatherstrip to weatherstrip. Height is 7 ft. Approach to garage is level. Moved in by hand. One person pushing, one in back pulling, the other directing and or sitting on the platform. Gas tank full.

Witness140
05-20-2009, 02:20 AM
Here's the process step by step.

Witness140
05-20-2009, 02:22 AM
More step by step.

Witness140
05-20-2009, 02:25 AM
The process continued....

Witness140
05-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Finally in the garage. I feel better now.

russlars
05-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Wow. Tight squeeze. Maybe a shoehorn would help!;) Are you going to have to do this routine every time you go to the lake or is this just for off season storage?

JohnE
05-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Jerry, what's the problem? Clearly the X2 fits in a standard 7 foot garage.8p

ORX-1
05-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I do a simaliar process each time I go out, and now I have it down to a science and it only takes about 15-20 minutes.

scott023
05-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Holy lick... 15 - 20 minutes. I think I would go nuts. The pics look like WAY too much work for me. If you take the boat for the 5 block ride each night of the week, that amount of time adds up very quickly.

russlars
05-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Have you every considered a bigger garage or maybe a smaller boat? That routine looks like it will get old real fast.

ORX-1
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
for me it's not that bad, don't even really think about it to be honest. If I know I am going on a few times in the week I will just leave it in the driveway.

Witness140
05-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Have you every considered a bigger garage or maybe a smaller boat? That routine looks like it will get old real fast.

I have considered a bigger garage. It is under the house though, so that means what I've really considered is a new house. I keep getting these emails from zillow though about my home losing 3% more of it's value every 3 weeks. Then theres unemployment going through almost 9%, housing not yet hitting it's bottom, etc etc. Oh, and then there's telling the wife we are moving because I'm considering a larger garage.....

I owned a 197. I have 4 kids and a lot of friends. That has been a bit more than considered, it's been a reality.

Then I read the brochure for the X2.....it started something like this...."at a garage friendly 20ft, the X2......"

Then I asked a couple dealers if it would fit in a 7 ft garage and I was told yes. None of them knew about the process to make that actually happen. So I bought one to try it out.

Seriously though, it will only be going in and out for longer term storage. It will live at the lake this year. I would lose my mind doing this on a regular basis.

SkiDog
05-21-2009, 08:55 AM
I have considered a bigger garage. It is under the house though, so that means what I've really considered is a new house. I keep getting these emails from zillow though about my home losing 3% more of it's value every 3 weeks. Then theres unemployment going through almost 9%, housing not yet hitting it's bottom, etc etc. Oh, and then there's telling the wife we are moving because I'm considering a larger garage.....

I owned a 197. I have 4 kids and a lot of friends. That has been a bit more than considered, it's been a reality.

Then I read the brochure for the X2.....it started something like this...."at a garage friendly 20ft, the X2......"

Then I asked a couple dealers if it would fit in a 7 ft garage and I was told yes. None of them knew about the process to make that actually happen. So I bought one to try it out.

Seriously though, it will only be going in and out for longer term storage. It will live at the lake this year. I would lose my mind doing this on a regular basis.

Yes, doing that every time really does suck! I've got a 10' tall door and have to let the damn tower down to get it in. Damn 3"!

JohnE
05-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes, doing that every time really does suck! I've got a 10' tall door and have to let the damn tower down to get it in. Damn 3"!

That rules out a black and silver X2 for me. My 214 clears the 10' door I am installing by about a half an inch.....:D

duramaxer
06-14-2009, 11:12 PM
For anyone intrested My friend has a few sets of the knobs that replace your allen screws in the board rack fork. This is the only way I can get the boat into my garage (7ft door) and now I don't have to use any wrenches.

Let me know if anyone is intrested in these.
Photo of what they look like are earlier in the posts but the photo was taken before they got annodized. So they are black like the rest of the knobs on the tower now.

hawaiianstiln
06-15-2009, 02:13 AM
okay, I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but I have only had my 2007 X2 for a week now and had some issues with the garage. I'm a bit annoyed because I went from a Malibu VLX (21 feet) to an X2 because it was suppose to be more garage friendly. Which was not the case (my opinion). I think there is a need for a low profile package like Extreme trailers offer (which is what I had in the past).

First off, I have a tandem axle with 225/75/R14 tires, which don't help I think. I'm going to go down to 205/75/r14 to make it a bit lower and then also maybe lower the torsion axles a very tiny bit to give me more clearance.

Second, I have a 26 foot garage (deep) by 7 foot high. The 7 foot height has caused me problems with the X2. First I couldn't fit the boat in the garage by just folding down the tower onto the back deck (on the top of the engine cover). Then I tried to open the engine compartment and drop the tower into there which gave me a bit more clearance (without tower speakers installed), but still did not fit into the garage. I finally took off one of the forks on each rack and then did NOT lock the racks in place. I had to turn the racks at a 45 degree angle and put a towel down on the sun deck to rest the rack on the upholstery. By putting a towel down on the upholstery to rest the rack at a 45 degree angle, it gave me the clearance that I needed to get the boat in.

The tower does NOT fold below the wind shield! There are certain parts that stick way above the windshield. Not sure why the dealer would tell you that.

hawaiianstiln
06-15-2009, 02:41 AM
oh and by the way, Duramaxer, I'm interested!! :)

My only concern is unscrewing these all the time and damaging the threads after a while.

Witness140
06-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Hawaii-

What trailer do you have? Cant tell from your avatar. Doesn't look like an MC trailer, but it's a tiny pic and my eyes aren't that good.

Sodar
06-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Hawaii-

What trailer do you have? Cant tell from your avatar. Doesn't look like an MC trailer, but it's a tiny pic and my eyes aren't that good.

It is a Sport Boat Trailer. They sit very similar to an MC trailer, though. Maybe even a hair lower.

duramaxer
06-15-2009, 03:49 PM
I had the same concern with mine so I installed mine with the stainless steel threaded rod into the fork and I am then threading the knob onto the stud sticking out of the fork.
Not sure if that makes sense or not?
That way if something wears it isn't the threads in the fork it will be the cheaper knob that wears.

hawaiianstiln
06-15-2009, 04:27 PM
yep Sodar is correct! It's a Sport Boat Trailer. Why I have one of those, I have no idea. I bought this boat used (repo/auction), so I don't know much about the history of this boat. I just know that it's one SWEEEEET boat! :)

So would you want a payment thru paypal? I guess I better ask the wife if it's okay before I send the payment. You know how that goes..... LOL

ORX-1
06-15-2009, 05:42 PM
okay, I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but I have only had my 2007 X2 for a week now and had some issues with the garage. I'm a bit annoyed because I went from a Malibu VLX (21 feet) to an X2 because it was suppose to be more garage friendly. Which was not the case (my opinion). I think there is a need for a low profile package like Extreme trailers offer (which is what I had in the past).

First off, I have a tandem axle with 225/75/R14 tires, which don't help I think. I'm going to go down to 205/75/r14 to make it a bit lower and then also maybe lower the torsion axles a very tiny bit to give me more clearance.

Second, I have a 26 foot garage (deep) by 7 foot high. The 7 foot height has caused me problems with the X2. First I couldn't fit the boat in the garage by just folding down the tower onto the back deck (on the top of the engine cover). Then I tried to open the engine compartment and drop the tower into there which gave me a bit more clearance (without tower speakers installed), but still did not fit into the garage. I finally took off one of the forks on each rack and then did NOT lock the racks in place. I had to turn the racks at a 45 degree angle and put a towel down on the sun deck to rest the rack on the upholstery. By putting a towel down on the upholstery to rest the rack at a 45 degree angle, it gave me the clearance that I needed to get the boat in.

The tower does NOT fold below the wind shield! There are certain parts that stick way above the windshield. Not sure why the dealer would tell you that.

I didn't think the tower fit into the engine compartment? I tried at one point and didn't think it worked. Does it in fact fit in there?

hawaiianstiln
06-15-2009, 08:22 PM
yes it does. However, you have to take off the clips that hold the gas shocks in place. It's a little thin metal C clip that clamps on the outside of the head of the gas shock that opens up the engine compartment. Take both of those clamps off of each gas shock (two) and then you can fold the engine cover back a bit further. Then you can sit it down in there further.

I'm also building a frame that sits inside my engine compartment out of 1X2's, 2X4's, and two 4X4 that will hold the tower up above the upholstry and not cause problems. I don't really want to hang something from the ceiling. I will give everyone the pictures, diagrams and or drawings when I'm done. It should be a cheap simple fix.

duramaxer
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Let me know if you want a set.

ORX-1
07-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Duramaxer was great and got a set of these nobs to me in no time! they have made removing the boardrack forks a lot easier, also I think they look great! Here is a pic.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Boat%20and%20Car/574785646_gdNWo-M.jpg

Kell
08-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Let me know if you want a set.
Yes, I need a set of these knobs as well. PM sent to you.

duramaxer
08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Got the messages and replied to everyone.
Hope I can help you out.

Thumbs
08-23-2009, 01:20 AM
My '07 200VRS (X-2) fits under the garage door BARELY. I'm betting an empty tank of gas is going to cause problems. One quick way to gain an inch or two of clearance is to ensure that the door is open all the way. My opener stops the door with it still hanging down into the opening a little. My solution, so far, is to push it open the rest of the way and place a block of wood at the top as a jamb.

Hope that helps.

Indyxc
04-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Just an update to this for future reference.

Just bought my 06 X2 on a single axle trailer.

Tried to get it into my garage, which is 7ft, measuring in reality about 6 feet 10 inches.

With the tower folded down it WASN'T even close. The rear upper part of the legs were probably 10 inches too high. It would of barely made it into an 8 foot garage.

That being said, the rear tower hoop was very easy to remove. Pulled the two rear knobs, and we lifted it off and handed it to a friend. It only weighs maybe 100 lbs?