PDA

View Full Version : sounds like a pulley howling, need up!!!

DooSPX
10-18-2008, 08:53 PM
I started the boat after replacing the exhaust today in prep for using the boat finally as all our lakes had dry ramps till now. well, the pulleys, thinking the crank pulley, is howling. it will stop at 1000 rpm but at idle its bad.
I thought it was the water pump, pulled it off, its not. Is it possible the Raw water pump impeller is howling? BUT, I just changed it a few months ago and the boat has been sitting since.
help?

TMCNo1
10-18-2008, 09:57 PM
As a start, while it's running, take a bar of soap to the portion of the belt that hits the pulley's or spray the pulley grooves with some silicone and see if the sounds stop.

DooSPX
10-18-2008, 10:03 PM
haha, thanks Harold. Im savy around engines. I have done that. I also took off the belt to check the water pump. its not, nor is it the belt.

TMCNo1
10-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Steve may have the answer, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=550197&postcount=3

DooSPX
10-19-2008, 10:01 AM
could the raw water pump howl like that if I just replaced the impeller and hasnt been ran since the change?

TMCNo1
10-19-2008, 10:09 AM
It could always be a stray cat in the bilge, they like boat rides too!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_25.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)

Bellinghamster
10-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Sounds to me like the bearings are going out on one of the three rotating accessories - raw water pump, fresh water pump or alternator.

Take the belt off and check them all for play (pulley movement side to side, in and out). Bearings have a funny way of squealing when they dry out/get rust in them, shortly before they eat themselves completely, or when they seize and the inner race is sliding (?) on the shaft. Raw water pumps do lose their bearings and howl, usually preceded by water dripping from the shaft after the inner seal fails, allowing water to wash out the grease in the bearing. They're not hard to disassemble and replace seals and bearings.

(I'm assuming you were not running the boat with water going into the raw water pump)

DooSPX
10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Sounds to me like the bearings are going out on one of the three rotating accessories - raw water pump, fresh water pump or alternator.

Take the belt off and check them all for play (pulley movement side to side, in and out). Bearings have a funny way of squealing when they dry out/get rust in them, shortly before they eat themselves completely, or when they seize and the inner race is sliding (?) on the shaft. Raw water pumps do lose their bearings and howl, usually preceded by water dripping from the shaft after the inner seal fails, allowing water to wash out the grease in the bearing. They're not hard to disassemble and replace seals and bearings.

(I'm assuming you were not running the boat with water going into the raw water pump)

thank you! yes, I was running the boat with water. I never run it without. We made a ball valve and a hose attachment inline before the trans cooler. I took off the belt, and checked the WP and the ALT. both were perfect. I believe its the raw WP or the the actual crank pulley on the balancer.
idea's?

Gamble
10-28-2008, 01:06 AM
it prolly is the raw water pump. Mine took the big one also......same story with the bearing howling.