PDA

View Full Version : VDIG photos?

Witness140
10-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm close to buying a 2008 X-2. It's down to a choice between an 07' and an 08'. The 07' would be the cheaper way into an X2, but I really do like some of the features in the 2008 - including the VDIG and the higher bimini.

Being enthusiastic about the purchase, I've been showing some friends online photos of the boats and asking opinions. I told them all about VDIG - and one of them said - show me some pics.

Well, unbelievably, when I search "VDIG" on mastercraft.com - there is no demo or photo series illustrating the system. Google search turned up one photo over at ski bennetts. Searching here certainly didn't hit paydirt either.

So - who has some page by page VDIG photos that I can show off - or better yet - what should exist - a nice multimedia video or presentation telling the world about VDIG.

Thanks!

cbryan70
10-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Check youtube.......i beleive there have been alot of problems with it but icbw

jaysus
10-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Witness,

http://mastercraftvb.powersportsnetwork.com/mastercraft_brochure.asp?catalogcode=3701

turn to page 6, all of the VDIG screens are presented. You can zoom in and check it out.

The most common issue was a grey square appearing in the screen (limited voltage sent to power the LCD screen). It has been corrected with the new version.

If we can be of help, don't hesitate to contact New England WaterSports (781)829-9940

JohnE
10-19-2008, 03:14 PM
From someone who has the Vdig, it wouldn't be a difference maker for me. I didn't know the bimini was higher on the '08. But that wouldn't be a difference maker either. I had a 197 with the mini tower and bimini and now have an X14 with full tower and bimini. The lower bimini offers more shade, the higher more room.

Good luck with your search.

ProTour X9
10-19-2008, 04:30 PM
From someone who has the Vdig, it wouldn't be a difference maker for me. I didn't know the bimini was higher on the '08. But that wouldn't be a difference maker either. I had a 197 with the mini tower and bimini and now have an X14 with full tower and bimini. The lower bimini offers more shade, the higher more room.

Good luck with your search.

John, from someone who's had a normal 05 gauges, and now your new VDIG, which do you prefer?

Bodyshots
10-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Ive looked every where online and cant find anything for VDIG's.
Id hop in my boat and do alittle video for you but its in storage =p

Witness140
10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys. I pulled this from the link Jay sent.

I like the increased headroom underneath the higher bimini. If I were in FL with this boat I would want to increase shade and want the lower bimini. Around here, I think it works out just fine with the increased headroom. A little shade and plenty of room - good compromise for me.

VDIG is a bling factor, and it's a cleaner cockpit w/o the ballast gauge and attitude plate panels. I also like the PP pushbutton and having a new interface with PP as opposed to the dinosaur multi-line display from PP I'm coming from.

ORX-1
01-13-2009, 01:06 PM
I just saw this post. What did you decide to go with? I am in the same situation. I am working a deal right now on an 08 X2 but I just heard they have an 07 also and it's a big savings in price, like 8-10(k). any thoughts on the difference between the two other than VDIG?

MattsCraft
01-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm close to buying a 2008 X-2. It's down to a choice between an 07' and an 08'. The 07' would be the cheaper way into an X2, but I really do like some of the features in the 2008 - including the VDIG and the higher bimini.

Being enthusiastic about the purchase, I've been showing some friends online photos of the boats and asking opinions. I told them all about VDIG - and one of them said - show me some pics.

Well, unbelievably, when I search "VDIG" on mastercraft.com - there is no demo or photo series illustrating the system. Google search turned up one photo over at ski bennetts. Searching here certainly didn't hit paydirt either.

So - who has some page by page VDIG photos that I can show off - or better yet - what should exist - a nice multimedia video or presentation telling the world about VDIG.

Thanks!

Witness - Go to here http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/

When you download you get a bunch of PDF's, full VDIG with picture and explanation of each screen is under "Instruments & Gauges" or send me a PM with email and I can send you that specific PDF, 10 megs.

Love my VDIG, Love hate the higher bimini - looks better, easy to open and stow, pain to remove and must be removed to collapse the tower. I can do it by myself, but not easily, my son and I have this down to a science. We don't even talk, nor does it matter what side we are on, we just go into this routine and it takes about 2 min start to finish setting or collapsing the tower. Comical how some guys just have a way of communicating without words…

OhioX14
01-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I just saw this post. What did you decide to go with? I am in the same situation. I am working a deal right now on an 08 X2 but I just heard they have an 07 also and it's a big savings in price, like 8-10(k). any thoughts on the difference between the two other than VDIG?

Unless there is something else significantly different between the '07 and '08 (like you can't live with the '07 color, condition, etc.) I would give the '07 serious consideration. $8 - 10K is alot of money, and as an owner of a boat with VDIG, IMHO it is definately not worth even a fraction of that amount. In fact, I would be happy to give ours up for a good old set of analog gauges and PerfectPass (or whatever the latest and greatest is in cruise control). VDIG has simply made driving a boat more difficult than it should be.

ORX-1
01-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Unless there is something else significantly different between the '07 and '08 (like you can't live with the '07 color, condition, etc.) I would give the '07 serious consideration. $8 - 10K is alot of money, and as an owner of a boat with VDIG, IMHO it is definately not worth even a fraction of that amount. In fact, I would be happy to give ours up for a good old set of analog gauges and PerfectPass (or whatever the latest and greatest is in cruise control). VDIG has simply made driving a boat more difficult than it should be.

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at the 07 I think to make sure that I'm not wasting money for one feature. Thanks again.

JohnE
01-13-2009, 04:22 PM
John, from someone who's had a normal 05 gauges, and now your new VDIG, which do you prefer?

Doug, I never saw this post. It doesn't make a bit of difference to me. Aside from the fact that I couldn't integrate PP digital pro into vdig. For that reason I'd have preferred normal gauges. Doesn't much matter now that I'm getting the '09/

As posted above the vdig makes little difference to me.

Witness went with an '09 after starting this thread. But he really did some research, so I'm sure he'll chime in.

2 comparable x2's one being an '08 and one an '07 shouldn't be $8-10K apart. There must be a difference in options or condition. The pricey options would be engine, reverse hull, metalflake, bimini off the top of my head.

ORX-1
01-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah I am not sure the difference yet. They have the 08 in their shop but the 07 is coming in on trade. I am leaning towards the 08 just to have a new boat and get all the options. it has it all the MCX, Heated seats, tower speakers, lights, and so on.

Loffgren
01-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I like the VDIG works well, I enjoy being able to monitor the "gauges" i think are important....no complaints here

JohnE
01-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah I am not sure the difference yet. They have the 08 in their shop but the 07 is coming in on trade. I am leaning towards the 08 just to have a new boat and get all the options. it has it all the MCX, Heated seats, tower speakers, lights, and so on.

Yeah, I forgot about tower speakers. One pair is about $2K from the factory when you order a boat. More after the fact.

Find out the details of each and post them. You'll get a lot of good feedback.

Witness140
01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Here's a change list for 08'

Higher bimini
VDIG with integrated PP Wakeboard Pro - including the PP quick engage pushbutton on sidepanel
Dual oxygen sensors per side on the MCX ETX-CAT system (vs single)
New speaker grilles (on later 2008 boats. Early builds still had old school)
Exhaust system changes (early 08's had 07' systems, later 08's had the new system)
Folding swim platform

As far as exhaust goes - that is a personal preference. MC messed with the exhaust tips after 2007. The 07's have the stainless steel tips. In 08' they changed over to the black flapper with MC bling on the flapper. Different internal baffling. This resulted in a louder throatier sounding boat. Some folks love it. Some folks hate it. Some folks don't care. You should just know about it before you test drive so you can pay attention and decide for yourself. Only you know your neighbors and if you want to have an effortless conversation with friends while underway in the cockpit.

The tower was changed from 06' to 07'. The 07' towers swayed and bounced a lot in rough water. MC came out with a brace kit to fix it. Make sure the 07' has that kit. I believe it became standard sometime in 2008. Not sure if early 08's didn't have it from the factory - so check that too. I doubt you'll find any 2008's out there without the braces.

The speakers and lights cost a lot initially. If you want to add them as OEM additions purchased from a dealer - you're gonna really pay. Silly thing to do considering you can find them on ebay, wakeworld, craigslist, and here in the marketplace for fractions of the brand new cost. Guys who really want good sound quality 80 ft behind the boat will typically change over to Wetsounds and unload the Gere Marie MC cans with JL 7.7's. Theres a set from an 06' X2 in the marketplace now for $600. You will need an adapter for the 07 tower, but this adapter set is under $150.

You might want to research ballast system changes. It was either between 07 and 08 or 08 and 09 that the X series ballast was raised just a little bit. I think it may have been the 09' model year. MC keeps their ballast quantities a big mystery for some reason. It isn't worthy enough of a spec to list in the brochure, and if you canvass 5 dealers, you might get 3 different answers. I'd be asking about quantity - if you care - and which impellers it has, and if that particular boat has any issues at all with fill/empty.

As for price differences between 07 and 08.

Fanfare was a great deal for new boat buyers this year, but it must have hurt private sellers and dealers sitting on late model used inventory. In my case, I had decided to go with an 08' vs an 07'. However, when I went to fanfare and was able to order my own 09 X2 with the colors and options I wanted, it didnt make sense to buy a used 2008 in order to save a couple thousand dollars.

I think boat prices right now are all over the place thanks to the economy. I think for as much as fanfare has spurred new boat sales, it had to have hurt the late model used/promo stuff too.
I took a bath on my 07' to the tune of 8K.

I don't know where you are for numbers, but I just found a gorgeous 2009 with 12 hrs on it down in Orlando. It was in another thread. 58,900 OBO.

http://www.orlandonautiques.com/usedboats.html

Scroll through inventory until you see the blue metalflake X2. Nice boat, smoking price. If I wasn't locked in.....and didn't have a trade to get rid of....thats the deal right there.

JohnE
01-14-2009, 10:31 AM
I told ya he did his research.:cool:

ORX-1
01-14-2009, 01:05 PM
WOW Witness140 that is a huge help. Thanks a lot. I talked to the dealer last night and think I am leaning towards the 08 just because I don't want to regreat not having the VDIG down the road. I will keep you posted.

Witness140
01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
I think the VDIG is really neat. The system is actually a Medallion product. MC, imho, got the short end of the stick on VDIG. (or thats the part of the stick they wanted or got stuck with, i don't know) Go look at the system Malibu got out of Medallion. Same platform, with a bigger screen and more impressive functionality.

Having the PP integrated into the Medallion box is a shame, but PP is a thing of the past anyways when we talk about new boats.

DryHop
01-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Does the MC VDIG have ability for external video in? Saw that on the Malibus at the boatshow and thought it would be nice to replay video or pics while on the boat. Not sure how useful or safe it would be, but I suppose you could even keep an eye on a pulled rider in real-time on the dash display.

MattsCraft
01-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Yes it does, on '09 version anyway, small screen though. Did this once just to check it out, no sound and why not just watch on the camera?

OhioX14
01-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Does the MC VDIG have ability for external video in? Saw that on the Malibus at the boatshow and thought it would be nice to replay video or pics while on the boat. Not sure how useful or safe it would be, but I suppose you could even keep an eye on a pulled rider in real-time on the dash display.

If it does the input's in the Mastercraft wiring harness somewhere because it certainly is not on the gauge itself. I've removed and installed a VDIG twice and the only connection on the gauge itself is a single proprietary connection to the harness.

Installing a rear facing camera and having it display on the VDIG would be a cool feature but it does not appear to be an option with this gauge both from a hardware and software point of view.

OhioX14
01-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes it does, on '09 version anyway, small screen though. Did this once just to check it out, no sound and why not just watch on the camera?

Where is the input?

JohnE
01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't input a video signal on the '08.

Witness140
01-14-2009, 04:29 PM

I want to meet the people who develop and sign off on these great ideas. (although, I think I have already)

How can this happen?

We have a boat sitting there, with a highly touted sound system. In the case of an X2, we have eight JL 7.7 component speakers, a 10" subwoofer, and 1050 watts of power driving all of it. Wonderful. Now lets put a Video system in the boat and advertise the video-in abilities and how you can play videos. Can we utilize the $5000 of stereo equipment to hear the video?

No.

Brilliant.

I will just never understand.

Witness140
01-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Where is the input?

Glove box.

OhioX14
01-14-2009, 04:37 PM
I want to meet the people who develop and sign off on these great ideas. (although, I think I have already)

How can this happen?

We have a boat sitting there, with a highly touted sound system. In the case of an X2, we have eight JL 7.7 component speakers, a 10" subwoofer, and 1050 watts of power driving all of it. Wonderful. Now lets put a Video system in the boat and advertise the video-in abilities and how you can play videos. Can we utilize the $5000 of stereo equipment to hear the video?

No.

Brilliant.

I will just never understand.

Doesn't the stereo have its own auxillary input? If you think of the VDIG as nothing more than a home theater monitor you would likely run your audio straight to the receiver anyway.

Actually, with all the other electronics they've been putting on boats I'm very surprised there isn't a rear facing camera system option, with a nice screen and a wide angle lens, to give the driver total view of the skier while underway. Properly implimented this could be a great option.

Witness140
01-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Witness - Go to here http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/

When you download you get a bunch of PDF's, full VDIG with picture and explanation of each screen is under "Instruments & Gauges" or send me a PM with email and I can send you that specific PDF, 10 megs.

Just checked it out. Thanks! Good pics.

ORX-1
01-14-2009, 04:44 PM
It seems like there are enough features with the VDIG that it would be hard to pass it up. Even if there are a few flaws, it gives you something to toy around with.

Witness140
01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Doesn't the stereo have its own auxillary input? If you think of the VDIG as nothing more than a home theater monitor you would likely run your audio straight to the receiver anyway.

Yes. But it's a headphones style plug over by the driver across from the glove box.

I sure hope it has triple RCA-in at the glove box location for Y/R/W. I remember seeing more than just one RCA plug in the glove box. Maybe they are wired to the CMD5A RCA aux jacks on the back of the head unit. I'm hoping.

Witness140
01-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I think it would be awesome to have a factory optioned camera tracker/mount up top - with the tower wired for the RCA's. No more mirror!

JohnE
01-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Yes. But it's a headphones style plug over by the driver across from the glove box.

I sure hope it has triple RCA-in at the glove box location for Y/R/W. I remember seeing more than just one RCA plug in the glove box. Maybe they are wired to the CMD5A RCA aux jacks on the back of the head unit. I'm hoping.

If it's not there already, you can just plug in a set of Y cables to the RCA's at the back of the stereo. Then aux. will get the signal from either the ipod adapter at the driver seat or whatever you plug into the other end of the Y. I did that because I prefer the ipod to be in my glovebox rather than next to the driver. At least my wife prefers that.

Witness140
01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
John

The true IPOD adapters are in the glove box. The jack by the driver is an MP3/aux input. I think the IPOD adapter goes into the CNET jack in the back of the head.

The 08' 197 I skied on last summer had the IPOD adapter - it was in the glove box as well. I think the MP3 player goes into RCA aux's at the back of the head, just not sure how many open sets there are??

JohnE
01-15-2009, 07:10 AM
John

The true IPOD adapters are in the glove box. The jack by the driver is an MP3/aux input. I think the IPOD adapter goes into the CNET jack in the back of the head.

The 08' 197 I skied on last summer had the IPOD adapter - it was in the glove box as well. I think the MP3 player goes into RCA aux's at the back of the head, just not sure how many open sets there are??

My '08 didn't have an ipod adapter in the glovebox. Just the jack by the driver's seat.

My point is that you can put a y cable into the one auxiliary input for the head unit. But obviously you need to make sure you don't feed it with 2 signals simultaneously.

CottagerGreg
01-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Ipod adapter in the glove box is a stand-alone option.. like $200.00

Allows the ipod to be plugged and charged and such... change tracks like a CD and such.. haven't figured out how to do playlists...yet..

Also the remote shows the titles of the tracks... well worth the money.

Witness140
01-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I opted for the IPOD option. It was $125. Then we got a smokin deal on an 8gb generation I IPOD Touch last week. $100. Too bad the only time I can really use the thing right now for music is while I'm plowing driveways in the Blazer, staring at a lake with ice chunks..... Hard to imagine how it will be more fruitfully enjoyed in 4 months....

MC X-15
01-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I opted for the IPOD option. It was $125. Then we got a smokin deal on an 8gb generation I IPOD Touch last week. $100. Too bad the only time I can really use the thing right now for music is while I'm plowing driveways in the Blazer, staring at a lake with ice chunks..... Hard to imagine how it will be more fruitfully enjoyed in 4 months....

100 bucks on an ipod touch, where did u get that???

Sodar
01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
iPod integration for the Clarion headunits is on sale at Crutchfield for $50... it is literally plug-n-play to install.

Looks like that $100 iPod just increased in cost by $75... still a good deal, though! :D

PS.205
01-15-2009, 05:56 PM
iPod integration for the Clarion headunits is on sale at Crutchfield for $50... it is literally plug-n-play to install.

Looks like that $100 iPod just increased in cost by $75... still a good deal, though! :D

Specs claim that it is not compatible with ipod touch.

"This iPod adapter is not compatible with iPhone 3G, iPod touch (1st/2nd generation), or iPod nano (3rd/4th generation)."

Witness140
01-15-2009, 10:27 PM

I spent days reading about the IPODs on this site. I'll dig it up, but there are folks using a touch with the factory IPOD adapter with no issue. Sounded like there are some issues, with even other IPOD models, but the touch is being used by some folks in these boats.

Now I'm confused.

My wife found it at FYE via slickdeals.net Bunch of coupon shoppers who treat bargain shopping like we treat our boats and have their own forum to share deals.

Witness140
04-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Update:

Finally been able to play with the new boat. The Generation 1 IPOD touch works great and as advertised - despite the notation in the instructions that the touch is not compatible. Maybe because it is Gen 1. Maybe the Gen 2's won't work.

As far as VDIG stuff goes....

MC still doesn't have an in depth users manual on the VDIG.

I've determined that the RCA video-in jack in the glove box works marvelously. There is a video select screen on the VDIG that accesses this. Simply plug a video source into the jack and select this screen.

I plugged in a portable DVD player for the kids. I wanted the audio as well, so I ran a cord from the aux jack (by drivers seat) to the audio out jack of the DVD player. Kids were able to watch Hannah Montana on the VDIG, the portable screen, and hear it coming through all the boat speakers. Oh joy...LOL. Well they were happy.

The cord stretching across the boat from the driver's seat to the player was a bummer. I'm gonna move or install another aux jack on the port side.

I also tried a video camera. Plugging the camera into the RCA video-in jack allows the display of the camera footage on the VDIG. So yes, it is possible to mount the video camera on a pylon mount, and actually watch what is going on behind the boat on the VDIG and in the mirror.

I haven't figured out the USB jack yet, but I did notice there is an "animation" loaded in the VDIG. It is an MC demo, probably for boat shows etc. Just some wakeboarding footage. I'm guessing this USB jack allows access to the internal storage of the Medallion system. Probably allows the upload of stuff like that.

As I learn more, I'll pass it along.

Witness140
04-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Here are some photos.

Witness140
04-16-2009, 12:59 AM
A few more.

skeeler
04-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Where is the VDIG video rca input located? I am assuming under the dash? Also, here is the aux plate I put in my glove box if that helps, also has 110 volts.

JohnE
04-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Where is the VDIG video rca input located? I am assuming under the dash? Also, here is the aux plate I put in my glove box if that helps, also has 110 volts.

Vdig RCA input is in the glovebox on my 09 214. I imagine it's the same spot on the X2.

skeeler
04-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Vdig RCA input is in the glovebox on my 09 214. I imagine it's the same spot on the X2.

Ahhh, so this must be only on the '09's. Any idea if the '08 has an input on it?

JohnE
04-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Ahhh, so this must be only on the '09's. Any idea if the '08 has an input on it?

I traded my 08 for an 09 and the 08 definitely did not have an input for video. I imagine there might have been one on the vdig itself...I guess that is how you installed yours? Or does yours go to an aftermarket screen?

skeeler
04-16-2009, 08:56 AM
I traded my 08 for an 09 and the 08 definitely did not have an input for video. I imagine there might have been one on the vdig itself...I guess that is how you installed yours? Or does yours go to an aftermarket screen?

I will have to look at the VDIG gauge itself and see if my '08 has this capability. I don't see why not, but it may not have an rca input on the back. I will have to look into that. Ya, all my screens are aftermarket.
Of course this model (CLARION CMV1) came out right after I finished the screen in the glove box lid. I may have to upgrade to this unit. It has everything!! I have been trying to get a hold of my Clarion distributor to see when this is available, but they keep saying it is back ordered.

ncsone
04-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Video playback is a new feature for VDIG for 09.

skeeler
04-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Video playback is a new feature for VDIG for 09.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation. I guess now I need to get rid of my '08. :D