PDA

View Full Version : speedo cracked

ems
10-18-2008, 12:22 AM
One of the original speedometer water sensors on my 1994 Prostar is cracked. Can anyone steer me towards a DIY guide? Is there an improved or upgraded design available? Best place to buy parts? (on-line)?
Thanks,

Jesus_Freak
10-18-2008, 06:32 AM
I think skidim has them...search the forum.

TMCNo1
10-18-2008, 06:38 AM
I think skidim has them...search the forum.

Try these, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=769B

ems
10-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Outstanding, thank you.
I've heard mention of a newer propeller or wheel design on the newer boats, is it possible to convert to that?

jimmer2880
10-19-2008, 06:09 PM
I was afraid to open a thread labeled "Speedo cracked"... not sure if it was family friendly :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
10-19-2008, 07:05 PM
I was afraid to open a thread labeled "Speedo cracked"... not sure if it was family friendly :rolleyes:

Could have been confused with these, with the trap door in the front,41428

ems
10-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Any way of knowing if the holes on this would match up with the OEM speedo? I'd prefer not to drill any additional holes in the transom.
Thanks again.

TMCNo1
10-22-2008, 06:42 AM
The holes will not match up, but those who have changed say, use one of the existing holes, silicone up the unused/unseen one and drill a new hole is the best that can be done.

sethro
10-22-2008, 08:30 AM
EMS,

I just made the swap to the new venturi pickups last spring. The holes don't line up, but the top hole is only about 1/2 a hole off. I simply elongated both top mounting holes slightly on the pitot itself with a drill bit for the new pitot to line up with the existing holes. No drilling of the boat necessary.

bigmac
10-22-2008, 08:55 AM
If it were me, I'd be looking at installing an electronic speedometer (Faria or Teleflex) with a through-hull paddlewheel. Or a transom-mounted paddlewheel if I didn't want to drill a 2-inch hole in my hull.

chevy08bud
10-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I did the same as Sethro. Just elongate the holes and they will work perfectly. They don't tend to get clogged up as easy either. If they do, then you will see that they are clogged and can clear it very easily.

ems
10-22-2008, 11:07 PM
If it were me, I'd be looking at installing an electronic speedometer (Faria or Teleflex) with a through-hull paddlewheel. Or a transom-mounted paddlewheel if I didn't want to drill a 2-inch hole in my hull.

So, how do I find that part option?

TMCNo1
10-23-2008, 06:32 AM
So, how do I find that part option?

Available here, in black or white face, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FARSE0511

ems
10-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Ok, thanks. The paddlewheel is more than I want to get into. How reliable, durable, accurate are these tubes compared to the mastercraft oem's?

bigmac
10-24-2008, 04:11 AM
Available here, in black or white face, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FARSE0511

Although, calling Lauderdale Speedometer has a huge number of other electronic speedometer gauge styles, as well as other Airmar paddlewheels, so that lake temp and even depth finder transducer functions can also be had from the same paddlewheel that provides the same speed info.

Not having to deal with pitot tubes and pickups, and having a non-clogging, accurate speedometer is one of the best things about these newer boats IMHO.

sethro
10-27-2008, 11:30 AM
EMS,

The new venturi style pickup is much better than the old pitot on your boat.

Reliability: will not clog as much or at all...my friend had his clog once in 7 yrs on the river we ski on. Compared to seemingly every time out on a boat with the old style pitots.

Durability: certainly no worse than the old style, they break away just like the old style.

Accuracy: properly calibrated they are as accurate as anything else out there. I think they are quicker to respond than the old style, but no evidence of that.

After one time out in my boat with the new venturi pickups, another friend of mine ordered a pair for his 84 Stars and Stripes as the difference in overall performance was that noticable to him.