PDA

View Full Version : water between floor of bilge and outer hull?

ogden378
10-17-2008, 10:09 PM
We are trying to rebuild 1989 ProStar 190; when I step on (compress) floor of bilge, water squirts out of old screw hole next to bilge pump - there must be a water between outer hull and inner bilge floor?? is this important? Thank you,

jimmer2880
10-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Not a clue. Sorry. ~BUMP~

j2nh
10-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Not an expert but I don't think there should be water between the floor of the bilge and the outer hull skin. I thought that area was sealed and foam filled.
Anybody know for sure?

Kevin 89MC
10-20-2008, 03:12 PM
If you're talking about the floor of the bilge area, there is no space between that and the outside of the hull. Just 1" thick fiberglass, at least where I drilled a hole through my hull for my Perfect Pass paddlewheel install. If you're talking about the carpeted floor and the hull, I've never seen inside there, but I'd guess it is foam filled, and if water got in there and couldn't get out, you've got to get the water out. I think I remember reading on here that someone drilled a few holes in the stern right above the hull, tipped the bow up and let all the water run out.
Good luck.
Kevin

88 PS190
10-20-2008, 03:15 PM
I'd assume that hole is where the float switch should be mounted eh?

I would dry it out as much and see if it stops having water come out.

cmw
10-20-2008, 03:28 PM
I have run into the same problem on a 1990 Maristar. Also interested in any ideas.

FrankSchwab
10-20-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm surprised no one with deeper knowledge has responded. I've seen several threads over the last couple of years of people with the same issue. I don't remember how they resolved it, however.

There's certainly shouldn't be water between the liner and the hull. However, I can't imagine a 20 year old boat necessarily remaining watertight (especially when someone leaves an open screwhole leading into the area...). The question is, how much water is actually down there? If it's a lot, it probably won't have any structural consequences (IMHO), but will simply make your boat heavier in the water and on the trailer. If there's not much, well, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem either.

In any case, you can probably be sure that the water level isn't any higher than the screwhole, so that may give you a clue as to how much there is.

Good luck,

/frank

TMCNo1
10-20-2008, 04:33 PM
There should not be much water in there, if any, because the bilge liner and the hull is suppose to be chemically bonded, then all they voids outside the stringers filled with foam. The same, if not simular process is still used today.

cmw
10-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I bought the boat a couple of months ago. I noticed the center ski tow was loose, so I took that part of the floor up to fix it. When I wiggled the loose ski tow pole, water bubbled out the hole in the floor which is about a foot higher. I will try to get pictures tonight. Thanks for any advice. I'm wondering if I should be concerned. I should mention the boat appears that it was not taken care of before I found her. The hull and motor are in decent shape. I have her in the garage now and wondering if she just needs to dry out over the winter. I plan to do most of the restoration this winter.